-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
This has probably been beaten to death in the past, and if so, I apologize.

I have a M70 (MOA trigger) that has a crisp beak at about 3.75lbs. I prefer about 2.5lbs. I think I remember reading here or somewhere that installing an Ernie's spring is an easy and effective way of lowering trigger pull. Also think I recall reading that installation is quick and simple.

Any thoughts/suggestions? Thanks.

GB1

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
You recall correctly ST. Maybe a 30 minute job if you go slow. Pretty simple swap. I’ve done all mine with them and sit around 2.5-2.75.

Semper Fi
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by beretzs
You recall correctly ST. Maybe a 30 minute job if you go slow. Pretty simple swap. I’ve done all mine with them and sit around 2.5-2.75.
I had the same experience. It's not at all difficult and am pleased with the results.

I am continually astounded at how quickly people make up their minds on little evidence or none at all.
Jack O'Connor
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Blacktailer
Originally Posted by beretzs
I had the same experience. It's not at all difficult and am pleased with the results.

Very easy. I've done many, and they all went to around a 2.5 pound pull. A couple even went to 2 3/8 pound pull consistently. Just remove the glue, Browning put on the retaining screw. Back the screw out, replace spring with the ernie spring, adjust to your desired pull weight, and don't forget to loctite, so the screw does not back out, and you are done. There was a thread here a couple weeks ago, where a member said he had no luck with the erniethegunsmith spring. That has not been my experience, or anyone else that I've seen do the replacement. If yours is at 3 3/4 pounds right now, they generally drop into the 2.5 pound range, with this simple spring change. Good luck with it!!

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
I have been very happy with the ones that I have used.

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
You may, Or may Not! get to 3 lbs or less by swapping the trigger spring without smoothing the trigger internals (as in reducing friction)... i could not get there by swapping springs with my 3 MOA's... there is more on this on a recent "MOA Trigger" thread on the "Gunsmithing" page... i'm not interested in rehashing it again here... Good Luck...

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
I've done two Ernie's springs: one on a MOA Featherweight and the other on a MOA Featherweight Super Grade (Cabela model). The swap on the SG worked as expected, the one on the FWT didn't; so some careful coil trimming with fine wire cutters did the trick. You might want to try that with the factory spring before spending your money. BTW, a little heat on the end of an allen key will help with the removal of the sealer. Browning might advertise the MOA as an adjustable trigger, but it's obvious that they'd rather we not do it.

Just my $.02

"An archer sees how far he can be from a target and still hit it, a bowhunter sees how close he can get before he shoots." It is certainly easy to use that same line of thinking with firearms. -- Unknown
L
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
L
I swapped out trigger springs in my MOA trigger, but the lowest I could go was 3.25 lbs. I didn’t want to mess with honing trigger internals so I replaced the MOA trigger with a Timney. Should have done that from the start.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
On those MOA triggers, the internals are the biggest drivers to pull weight. Depending on the mating surface angles and smoothness, a 'spring' may or may not have any effect. If the internals are pretty decent, the stock spring nipped a bit or an after market spring can be an improvement. If the internals are a mess, no 'magic spring' in the world can overcome that....no different than any trigger. But it doesn't take too much work on the internals to bring them around, either.

I've put one Jard on and it's a good replacement.

Good shootin' -Al

Forbidden Zoner
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I got some from MCarbo for my pre 64's, they also have them for post 2008

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Lampson
I swapped out trigger springs in my MOA trigger, but the lowest I could go was 3.25 lbs. I didn’t want to mess with honing trigger internals so I replaced the MOA trigger with a Timney. Should have done that from the start.

I did the same. I bought the Ernie spring, but could t get all the darn goop out they put over the screw where the spring is. Said screw it and bought a Timney. I’m happy now.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

602 members (1OntarioJim, 10gaugeman, 17CalFan, 1Longbow, 10gaugemag, 160user, 65 invisible), 2,477 guests, and 1,351 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,189
Posts18,484,895
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.