Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
M
mnsako Offline OP
OP Offline
M
Hi,

Anyone have a problem removing tight filler screws to install talley scope rings? They seem to have shallow slots that I can't get a grip on with a gunsmith screwdriver. I'd really appreciate any suggestions. Thanks in advance for your expertise.

GB1

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by mnsako
Hi,

Anyone have a problem removing tight filler screws to install talley scope rings? They seem to have shallow slots that I can't get a grip on with a gunsmith screwdriver. I'd really appreciate any suggestions. Thanks in advance for your expertise.

They are plastic, just pop them out. Unless they have recently changed them.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Are they torx, hex, flathead, Phillips, ???

----------------------------------------
I'm a big fan of the courtesy flush.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
What constitutes a "gunsmith screwdriver"??

+Professional member American Custom Gunmakers Guild
Q
Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
Q
I find it essential if you are working on guns to get a screwdriver set that has a huge variety of different bits. I initially went for "gunsmith screwdrivers" like these:

https://www.brownells.com/tools-cleaning/general-gunsmith-tools/screwdrivers-sets/screwdriver-set/

Individually, they are great. Made in America, etc. But, what they don't have is a huge range of variety to match the perfect size bit to the screw. And it doesn't matter how great your screwdriver is if it doesn't fit perfectly. So, I settled on this set:

https://www.brownells.com/tools-cle...s/professional-gunsmith-screwdriver-set/

IC B2

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by BrotherBart
Are they torx, hex, flathead, Phillips, ???

The plastic ones I've seen were flat head, and very shallow like the op says. Again, that was when they were putting plastic filler screws in the top of the receivers. I'm betting his are also plastic. Some guys going off on a tangent here. OP should let us know, what he finds though.

Here's a thread from Rokslide, for those of you that have never messed with those Tikka filler plugs. It may be of some help to the OP as well:

"Tikka issue"

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

582 members (1_deuce, 1Longbow, 10gaugemag, 160user, 10gaugeman, 17CalFan, 57 invisible), 2,501 guests, and 1,308 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,187
Posts18,484,861
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.