Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
I have a Winchester 69A that was like new when I bought it many years ago. With a 4X scope on it will shoot 1/2” all day….same design as the Winchester 75 Getting hard to find on sites that are in great shape but are out there if you look around.

GB1

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I've had a CZ452 and a Tikka T1X. The CZ was more accurate and the Tikka did not feed consistently. Samples of one.

I'm old and note that older isn't always better. Except for dedicated target models, they had the same quality control issues that are seen today. Back in the day my girlfriend bought a Winchester 320 for her son. The bore was rough as an old sewer pipe. Sent it back to Winchester for a new barrel. My son's Remington 700 Classic circa 1980 was one of the roughest factory rifles I have ever seen. Stock finish was like pig skin, flutes not aligned, rough metal under the stock, bent firing pin, metal chips in the bolt body.

There wasn't a different business model in the past. Garden variety firearms weren't intended to become collector items. Those wonderful old finishes may have been produced by stain, dunking in a barrel of oil, maybe sprayed on varnish.

Stupidity has its way, while its cousin, evil, runs rampant.
K
K22 Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
K
Another good accurate rimfire would be the Remington 581. They sell in the price range the OP posted.
A favorite of mine is the Sako Quad, another excellent shooter.
I have 2 CZ 457's Americans and both are very good shooters. One of them is a 17HM2 but it has a $2000 Lilja barrel on it. smirk

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
HA HA HAAA

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by K22
Another good accurate rimfire would be the Remington 581. They sell in the price range the OP posted.
I have 2 CZ 457's Americans and both are very good shooters. One of them is a 17HM2 but it has a $2000 Lilja barrel on it. smirk

I have a 581 that I got for Christmas in 1967. Somehow I managed to hold onto it through a number of purges, probably because it wasn’t worth much. Need to give it some exercise, but don’t intend to futz around trying to improve it. They were cheap guns and look it, but I carried that one a lot and at times it was all I had.

What fresh Hell is this?
IC B2

K
K22 Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
K
They were very low cost in there day as the 788 s were and like the 788's darn accurate.

Q
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Q
Originally Posted by Paul39
I've had a CZ452 and a Tikka T1X. The CZ was more accurate and the Tikka did not feed consistently. Samples of one.

I'm old and note that older isn't always better. Except for dedicated target models, they had the same quality control issues that are seen today. Back in the day my girlfriend bought a Winchester 320 for her son. The bore was rough as an old sewer pipe. Sent it back to Winchester for a new barrel. My son's Remington 700 Classic circa 1980 was one of the roughest factory rifles I have ever seen. Stock finish was like pig skin, flutes not aligned, rough metal under the stock, bent firing pin, metal chips in the bolt body.

There wasn't a different business model in the past. Garden variety firearms weren't intended to become collector items. Those wonderful old finishes may have been produced by stain, dunking in a barrel of oil, maybe sprayed on varnish.

These are valid points. I recall hearing about the QC issues that Winchester had with the initial run of M14s and the impact that contract had on the company and it just makes my mind boggle. The advantage of the old models that did become classics or collector items is that they are often ones that have "stood the test of time." On the other hand, particularly for something like a Winchester pre-64, you usually end up paying a premium just based on that fact alone. It might have been Winchester's cheapest model available, but if it was made before 1964, be prepared to pay dearly.

Q
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Q
Originally Posted by K22

This was good for a chuckle!

Part of the reason I love rifles so much. You can start with something nice enough and then go completely over the top chasing that last bit of accuracy. It's often the endless pursuit of perfection that keeps people coming back to it.

Q
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Q
Any thoughts on a CZ Model 1? I had my eye on one before I started this thread. If it stays within my budget, is there any reason to prefer it over the CZ 457?

K
Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
K
I think the best rifle on the market right now in your price range is the CZ457. I would not be afraid to buy a used 452 or 455. They come in several different stock options and configurations. Pick the one you like best.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Q;
Good morning, I hope wherever this finds you that you're warm, well and dry.

Regarding the CZ Model 1 vs. the Model 2, while we see both up here from time to time, whenever that question comes up I've yet to hear anything remotely close to agreement on the answer.

I want to say there weren't many changes from the Model 2 to the Model 5 which is pretty close to the Model 452s that I've looked at.

When I've shot friend's rifles or talked to them, it seems like the Model 452s and new Model 457 will usually run neck and neck with a Tikka T1X.

A buddy's new heavy barrel Varmint 457 MTR seems like it might be a bit less picky than my T1X as far as ammo choice goes. It is a shooter alright, but he's spent more on the rifle and the scope than my Tikka or it's offshore budget Bushnell 4-16 so there is that. It's heavier too and that's not nothing for bench work.

My old 1958 CZ Model 5 is my favorite .22, but there's a lot of sentiment attached to that, as well as a Lakefield Mk II which is the grand daddy of the current Savage rimfire line.

Speaking of them, we've seen quite a few of those which absolutely will shoot wonderfully small groups.

My heart lies with a Brno CZ build of some kind however, so that's where I'd go if starting over.

All the best.

Dwayne

Last edited by BC30cal; 04/20/24.

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
On older rifles/discontinued models:

The thread has already touched on quality control. Some of them were high quality rifles, especially European models, some weren't. The biggest segment of American .22's up until the last 10-15 years, not counting all out target rifles, were made for more budget conscious buyers although even the cheap ones will probably have a nice piece of walnut on them. The carriage trade models - Winchester 52, Remington 541S (a gussied up 581), Kimber of OR and so forth will cost way more than the $600 range today.

Lots of them made before the 1960's had no way to mount a scope. Those that do will have a grooved receiver. Triggers weren't all that great. Not bad, they may or may not be crisp, but most all are not as light as what's commonly available today.

Of the modern models the CZ457 and Tikka T1x are really the only contenders in your stated price range (IIRC previous posters have mentioned this wink ), so here are my left brained, picky opinions/experience with two 457 Varmint models, a 457 American and one T1x. My Varmint model CZ's were/are the standard versions, not the MTR.

Both have truly excellent, crisp and light triggers which can be made very light - 1 pound safely - with a $12 spring widely available from many sources. Said spring is super easy to install on a Tikka and only a tiny bit less so on a CZ.

The 457 Varmint models and the T1x are equally accurate with a good variety of target and hunting /plinking grade ammo. My 457 American is pickier than those but fed the ammo it likes (cheapo Federal Automatch of all things) it will shoot just as well as the others. Objectively, that means all of them can put 10 shots at 50 yards into the .4's or maybe the .3's if the wind is cooperating. Note "can", not "always will"; the shooter and wind conditions are the deciding factors. Before I forget here, fed ammo it doesn't care for the American will still put 10 shots into the .6's or .7's, so it ain't terrible.

The CZ 457 Varmint is a heavy, weight forward rifle, the T1x is well balanced and the 457 American has excellent handling with a hand filling pistol grip. Personal preference but I really like the way the American feels and handles the best.

I have not seen a T1x Hunter in person but based on the picture on Tikka's website and having owned a T3x Hunter model, the wood will be same/same on either brand. I.e., ranging from plain to maybe a little grain showing. Finish seems to be same/same on both as well, ranging from a pleasant brown to muddy.

The Tikka has a flat top receiver with lots of scope mounts available. CZ sticks to their 11mm grooved receiver - rings and a couple of picatinny rails are available for it so it's not a deal breaker but Tikka wins this one.

The Tikka has a 60 deg. bolt lift so it's heavier than the CZ. Not a lot heavier and not a big deal but just noting it. Bolt travel is equally short and smooth. Both are equal in functioning reliability.

The nice thing about comparing these two is that you are not going to get a bad rifle with either one, it really comes down to subjective preference.

And that's all I got to say about that.

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Also, the Savage Mark II will shoot right alongside the CZ and Tikka and has a trigger only a bit less as nice as those. If you get a cheaper one you can replace the flimsy plastic stock with a Boyd's and still be in the same price range as the others - the wooden Savage stocks are all from Boyd's anyway. Put some lapping or polishing compound on the bolt and action at the friction points, work it several hundred times and functioning will be nice and smooth. It's the "dating a fat girl who cooks and f***s great but you don't wanna show her off to your friends" rifle. wink

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by jk16
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Originally Posted by 260Remguy
Winchester 320 or Remington 541S/541T.

I have these rifles, like them, and think that they are good understudy rifles, particularly the 541T because its weight makes it feel more like a comparable size centerfire hunting rifle.

My current preferred understudy or warm up rifle is a Tradewinds 311A, a house brand Krico 302. Simpson LTD in Galesburg, IL, usually has several Kricos for sale.

I love my 320, but they seem to be hard to find. Mine outshoots my new CZ457. I'm talking consistent accuracy/precision, not the occasional bragging "wallet group". On a consistent basis, tit for tat, the old Winchester shoots better. The CZ, however, makes up for it by how smooth and comfortable it is to shoot. As an example, though, the Winchester 320 can be had for under $400.00 most times, but you have to find one first!!! No flies on the old rifles either, like oldgrouser said.

All based on samples of one.

Get on youtube, and you'll see a lot of guys having issues with their CZ's having "fliers". Random and first shot fliers. I've also shot with guys that have CZ's, Winchester 52's, Remingtons of all makes, Ruger 77's and American rimfires, Savage, Kimber, Ansuchtz, and others not mentioned. Do a search, and you will find that the Winchester 320 shoots above its price point. As does the one I recently bought. I can also guarantee that the CZ457 American, I have, shoots better than any CZ American you have. Post your results with your rifle. That could get funny. This is something I KNOW from experience. If you can not add anything to a good thread, I suggest you go elsewhere.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
P
Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
P
Thanks to the current rage of long range 22 competition the CZ457 is blessed by the after market. You can get in at whatever price point you are comfortable with. The 457 comes with a quite good trigger but there are many more options along with a barrel you can change at home and semi available magazines. Hard to go wrong and since they are easy to find you get the time you would spend looking for something no longer produced shooting!

Elevation is math
Windage is Voodoo
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Jim in Idaho
Also, the Savage Mark II will shoot right alongside the CZ and Tikka and has a trigger only a bit less as nice as those. If you get a cheaper one you can replace the flimsy plastic stock with a Boyd's and still be in the same price range as the others - the wooden Savage stocks are all from Boyd's anyway. Put some lapping or polishing compound on the bolt and action at the friction points, work it several hundred times and functioning will be nice and smooth. It's the "dating a fat girl who cooks and f***s great but you don't wanna show her off to your friends" rifle. wink

Good catch on the Savage MK rifles. I have the MK1 single shot and it shoots pretty well. The MKII I had also shoots lights out. A buddy of mine is going to go and buy that rifle, since he knows how well it shoots. I probably shouldn't have traded the damn thing on that new CZ American, but they are 2 totally different rifles. Those cheap Savages tend to shoot better than most CZ's, or like you say, "shoot right alongside" them.

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Jim in Idaho
On older rifles/discontinued models:

The thread has already touched on quality control. Some of them were high quality rifles, especially European models, some weren't. The biggest segment of American .22's up until the last 10-15 years, not counting all out target rifles, were made for more budget conscious buyers although even the cheap ones will probably have a nice piece of walnut on them. The carriage trade models - Winchester 52, Remington 541S (a gussied up 581), Kimber of OR and so forth will cost way more than the $600 range today.

Lots of them made before the 1960's had no way to mount a scope. Those that do will have a grooved receiver. Triggers weren't all that great. Not bad, they may or may not be crisp, but most all are not as light as what's commonly available today.

Of the modern models the CZ457 and Tikka T1x are really the only contenders in your stated price range (IIRC previous posters have mentioned this wink ), so here are my left brained, picky opinions/experience with two 457 Varmint models, a 457 American and one T1x. My Varmint model CZ's were/are the standard versions, not the MTR.

Both have truly excellent, crisp and light triggers which can be made very light - 1 pound safely - with a $12 spring widely available from many sources. Said spring is super easy to install on a Tikka and only a tiny bit less so on a CZ.

The 457 Varmint models and the T1x are equally accurate with a good variety of target and hunting /plinking grade ammo. My 457 American is pickier than those but fed the ammo it likes (cheapo Federal Automatch of all things) it will shoot just as well as the others. Objectively, that means all of them can put 10 shots at 50 yards into the .4's or maybe the .3's if the wind is cooperating. Note "can", not "always will"; the shooter and wind conditions are the deciding factors. Before I forget here, fed ammo it doesn't care for the American will still put 10 shots into the .6's or .7's, so it ain't terrible.

The CZ 457 Varmint is a heavy, weight forward rifle, the T1x is well balanced and the 457 American has excellent handling with a hand filling pistol grip. Personal preference but I really like the way the American feels and handles the best.

I have not seen a T1x Hunter in person but based on the picture on Tikka's website and having owned a T3x Hunter model, the wood will be same/same on either brand. I.e., ranging from plain to maybe a little grain showing. Finish seems to be same/same on both as well, ranging from a pleasant brown to muddy.

The Tikka has a flat top receiver with lots of scope mounts available. CZ sticks to their 11mm grooved receiver - rings and a couple of picatinny rails are available for it so it's not a deal breaker but Tikka wins this one.

The Tikka has a 60 deg. bolt lift so it's heavier than the CZ. Not a lot heavier and not a big deal but just noting it. Bolt travel is equally short and smooth. Both are equal in functioning reliability.

The nice thing about comparing these two is that you are not going to get a bad rifle with either one, it really comes down to subjective preference.

And that's all I got to say about that.

Good write up Jim. For a couple years, I drug my feet, trying to decide which rifle I wanted. I asked questions about the CZ and Tikka. Most guys said the Tikka shoots better, but I liked the looks of the CZ American model better. While I knew I'd be giving up a little in precision, I was getting the better looking rifle. Figuring I could deal with the slightly less accurate CZ. I have been very impressed with the function of the CZ. It feels more like my old Winchester 52 in function. That's a major plus in my book. I'm sure the OP will appreciate your input.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
CZ and forget the Tikka.

1st Special Operations Wing 1975-1983
919th Special Operations Wing 1983-1985 1993-1994

"Manus haec inimica tyrannis / Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem" ~Algernon Sidney~
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Consider the Bergara BMR. It comes in either a steel or a carbon wrapped barrel.

Mark

NRA Life Member
Anytime anyone kicks cancers azz is a good day!

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Oh The Drama!
T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
Most of the Savage varmint 22rf rifles will shoot just as good or better than most rifles mentioned. And at 1/2 the price

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

550 members (12344mag, 2500HD, 222Sako, 160user, 240NMC, 1lessdog, 60 invisible), 2,648 guests, and 1,233 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,293
Posts18,486,934
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.