Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
kwg020 Online Content OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I just picked up a Brownell's 10/22 receiver from the store. I picked up a polymer stock last spring in a trade. I don't want anything complicated just a 10/22 for the grand kids to shoot so I got the slick top receiver and not the one with the rail. I want to spray it with Brownell's Teflon-Moly bake on spray paint so it won't stay black. It will be a light colored OD green. Not quite the same color of the stock but not too far off.

If you did use one for the basis of a build, did you have any issues with using Ruger parts to complete the build ?

Thanks

kwg

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

For liberals and anarchists, power and control is opium, selling envy is the fastest and easiest way to get it. TRR. American conservative. Never trust a white liberal. Malcom X Current NRA member.
GB1

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by kwg020
If you did use one for the basis of a build, did you have any issues with using Ruger parts to complete the build ?
Thanks
kwg

Used a Brownells receiver and a Brownells breech block, too, but went with the Ruger BX trigger, Volquartsen carbon wrapped barrel and Magpul X22 Hunter stock. While mine is certainly not intended as a gun for kids, there’s no reason why kids couldn’t use it, as it’s pretty light weight, except for that Hubble-sized Leupold scope. No issues whatsoever and I’m most happy with it:

That’s five LAPUA Midas+ on 6” steel @ 200 yards.

Every day’s an adventure.
kwg020 Online Content OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Thanks for the input. I know the receiver drops right into the stock I have so it has passed the first test. The grand kids are getting fixed iron sights. They need to learn basics before they get to play with big scopes. It looks like you built an accurate one.

kwg

For liberals and anarchists, power and control is opium, selling envy is the fastest and easiest way to get it. TRR. American conservative. Never trust a white liberal. Malcom X Current NRA member.
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
You should have no difficulty finding a take-off Ruger 10/22 carbine barrel on the cheap. Nothing wrong with them in the accuracy department, either:

That’s five CCI SGBs @ 50 yards from the unaltered factory 10/22 carbine barrel. That group is not a fluke, as the barrel does just as well with MiniMag HPs. The trick is to make sure the barrel is full-length free-floated. A BX trigger don’t hurt nothing, neither. But, I strongly recommend against a do-it-yourself trigger job on a gun meant for kids.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Thanks for the input. I know the receiver drops right into the stock I have so it has passed the first test. The grand kids are getting fixed iron sights. They need to learn basics before they get to play with big scopes. It looks like you built an accurate one.

kwg

Keep us posted on the build. As you can see, some guys think there are "tricks" to getting these rifles to shoot well. Everyone has their own ideas, but a lot can't prove it. I would have loved to see exchippy participating in some of the challenges I posted. That would show how accurate his rifles really are.

Do you have all the parts bought already? Also wondering why you didn't just buy a complete rifle to build from? If a factory barrel is adequate, and shoots well enough, I'd use them too, but I have seen very few that shoot consistent sub 3/4" 5 shot groups at 50 yards. Only 1 that did better than that, and I sold that one to a good buddy.

Anyway, parts are easily attained from numerous sources. Even ebay sells a lot of 10/22 parts. Use a good bolt, there are many manufactures that make upgraded bolts for these 10/22's and clones.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Sorry, BSA. My competition days are behind me, as I have good days and bad days resulting from far too many years of “experience.” The good days just don’t always match up with the shooting days, anymore.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If you want a factory camo barrel with open sights, PM me your address and I'll send you one gratis.

kwg020 Online Content OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Hello BSA
I just bought the receiver today. I am spraying it with some Brownells Teflon Moly. That's a bake on finish. It won't be an exact match to the stock but it will be close. I will probably finish it this fall after collecting some parts over the course of the summer. Exchippy talked about free floating the barrel but this particular stock uses the barrel band at the end of the barrel. The barrel band holds the part that you slide in a sling loop.

I guess the whole idea is for the grand kids to get some time behind a trigger on a gun with a mild recoil and muzzle blast along with traditional sights. I agree that a light target trigger may not be the right trigger for kids starting out. I needed another gun like I needed an extra hole in my head but I was getting bored with reloading and wanted to change things up a bit. I'd of gone to the range today but the wind is blowing 20 plus MPH here in central Iowa.

I'll probably go to the Free Classifieds later this summer and start looking for parts or go to Ebay. It's only 52 miles from my front door to Brownells front door. What I don't find on the Campfire or on Ebay it's a short drive to Brownells. I also drive right by Brownells several times a year delivering cars for a local dealership.

Thanks for the encouragement. Keep on shooting Exchippy.

kwg

kwg020 Online Content OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard
If you want a factory camo barrel with open sights, PM me your address and I'll send you one gratis.
I'll send you a PM.

kwg

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
KWG, here is a video of a guy that did a build with a Brownells receiver:

They look like really nice receivers. If you watch the video, he says he had to grind a little off the inside of it to get the bolt to seat inside. That is something I always check, and generally polish the inside of the receivers. Even factory Ruger 10/22 receivers. I also polish the bolt, so everything runs as smoothly as possible. Yours is probably just fine, but something to be aware of. This guy stocked his with a Magpul X22 stock, which I like. They are awesome for doing lightweight builds with. The ergo's are very nice, but I gripe about it for shooting off the bench because it's so light. However, my best shooting 10/22 clone uses that same stock. It's a love hate relationship, and hard to switch stocks, when that rifle shoots so well!!!! These stocks do need to be bedded. Every 10/22 I've put in this stock, has rocked in it. Some worse than others. Also, when I say "bedding", that does not have to be complex. On these 10/22's, it's a 5 minute job. I look forward to seeing how your project progresses. I know you've mentioned, before, you were going to be building one. Good luck with it!!

If you don't have much in the way of parts, and want to keep it on the cheap, I'd just buy a BX trigger. The one that came on a rifle I bought last year, has one, and it's a great trigger, and for the price, they are hard to beat. I only suggest this because you may not have a trigger housing already. The BX is really affordable, and a complete unit will get you shooting sooner. Heres a list of parts I'd suggest:

1. Complete trigger and housing: Ruger BX
2. Bolt:
a. JWH competition model
b. Pike Arms
c. Brownells

Someone is willing to give you a factory barrel. Take them up on that! Until you want something that shoots better, then I'd buy a Kidd. If you just want to teach your grandkids to shoot with irons, a factory barrel will work well. Leave the barrel band on the factory stock, or try freefloating it. The guys I shoot with, found out that on a factory barrel, in a factory stock, it doesn't really make a difference. I had one that drove tacks, set up with the barrel band. Groups got worse after removing it, and freefloating the barrel. YMMV on that one.

The current 2 10/22's I have right now, shoot better with the barrel laying in the channel. They are heavy barrels though. I get no POI shift anytime, even when the barrel starts heating up. From cold to warm, the shots stay in the same small groups. That's when you know you have a good one.
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
IC B3

kwg020 Online Content OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
What I had yesterday right after I got home from Brownells. I traded into the stock about a year ago. Brownells shows the BX trigger as out of stock. Just looking on Brownells web site, it seems a lot of things are missing from their warehouse. I must not be the only person doing a build. https://www.brownells.com/gun-parts/rifle-parts/rifle-triggers-parts/1022-bx-trigger/

I just checked Midway USA as well, the BX trigger is back ordered there as well. This is where the patience part comes in.
kwg

Last edited by kwg020; 04/24/24.

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Just looking on Brownells web site, it seems a lot of things are missing from their warehouse.

That’s pretty much been SOP at Brownells for the last year or more. Don’t think it’s entirely necessary, either. As an example, I had a Hogue grip on back order from Brownells for more than 60 days, with an automated reminder from them at 45 days. I finally lost patience with Brownells and contacted Pat Hogue to get it direct (received it from him three days later). Pat said they’ve not had any shipping delays and no backorders. Hmmmm.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
A good place to get parts from is ebay. They have BX triggers and just about anything else you would need to get a build completed. One seller there, is selling new BX triggers for $37.80 plus $6.90 for shipping.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
A good place to get parts from is ebay. They have BX triggers and just about anything else you would need to get a build completed. One seller there, is selling new BX triggers for $37.80 plus $6.90 for shipping.

I have ordered two BX triggers through reputable Ebay sellers.

KWG, I'll ship tomorrow.

S
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
S
Ok I would like to build one but also like that classic model in stainless Ruger makes without the barrel band. Who makes a decent barrel for a build, one that isn’t carbon fiber?

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by smallfry
Ok I would like to build one but also like that classic model in stainless Ruger makes without the barrel band. Who makes a decent barrel for a build, one that isn’t carbon fiber?

I think you are talking about the deluxe model. That is a walnut stock with checkering panels and a recoil pad. Barrels can be a touchy subject here, but the best/most accurate I've seen are the Kidd barrels. However, some here, and some guys at my club have had had good success with Green Mountain barrels. I have had a couple Green Mountain barrels (now a third), and none of them are as consistent shooting as the Kidd barrel. Feddersen also makes a very accurate barrel. Generally most factory Ruger 10/22 barrels are adequate, but not the best or most consistent in the accuracy/precision department. Even their cold hammer forged target barrels have left me wanting. So, in short, my list would look like this:

1. Kidd
2. Feddersen
3. Green Mountain

BSA MAGA
kwg020 Online Content OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I just ordered the trigger group from Ebay. Just under $77.

kwg

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
I just ordered the trigger group from Ebay. Just under $77.

kwg

New BX trigger $37.80

This one you could probably buy for $42 with free shipping. New BX

BSA MAGA
kwg020 Online Content OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Neither one of those showed up in my search. I got the cheapest one that was new in a factory package. It's already been shipped. The tracking says it will be here Monday. I need a couple of parts yet. The stock screw, buffer and the charging handle. Midway has those. If Brownells has them I can driver over Tuesday to pick them up.

I can have Brownells ship the parts or I can do the drive. Either way it's about the same money. There is a gun and reloading shop I can stop at on my way back from Brownells. I can always use some powder and primers. Besides, the guy is a small business man. I like doing business with guys who set up a business in their garage and save on rent or are a one man operation.

kwg

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
I agree with supporting the small business too kwg. Good luck on your build. I'm hoping it runs very smoothly, accurately and reliably. Good idea on getting kids interested in shooting too, especially teaching them with iron sights. It seems like more and more guys don't know how to use irons. Even pistol guys are going to optics these days!!!!

BSA MAGA
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

534 members (10Glocks, 10gaugemag, 1234, 12344mag, 16penny, 57 invisible), 2,250 guests, and 1,296 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,392
Posts18,488,767
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.