Huh.

GR

GB1

F
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
F
That's pretty much the way I remembered it...In 1964 I was issued a Winchester in basic training, (prior to enlisting I had qualified expert with the M-1 in ROTC), but with the M-14 in basic I could barely qualify as marksman...unbelievably, I whined to my training platoon sergeant who took the time to fire my rifle (there was a performance award system)...short story...he issued me another M14, a TRW with which,. miraculously, I was able to fire expert qualification.
Standard issue M-14s were really poor IMO.
I wonder where the military would be today if they had chosen with the rest of NATO, the FN FAL. Maybe not with a .270 Stubby.

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Never had a problem with mine, qualified expert with it. We had M-16s in Nam, but we also had some M-14s. The only thing I really disliked about the 14 was the weight, and, it wasn't much fun in the full auto mode.

Old Corps

Semper Fi

FJB
K
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
K
In 1962 I was stationed at Paris Island in Weapons Bn working on the pistol line training recruits. In January of that year we were issued new M14s. I don’t remember the manufacture of the rifle but mine was a very fine rifle. During the year I had the opportunity to fire my rifle and many times since the rifle line was right there. With that rifle in the month of October I qualified with a score of 237. I still have the Leatherneck Magazine medal to prove it.
The problem with the M14 was the selector switch. That thing turned a super rifle into a pile of schit.
We had about 80 rifles with selector switches and bipods that the recruits fired from 25 yards for familarezation and they were terrible and uncontrollable due to the light weight and high Cyclate rate of fire.
One Saturday the Gunny selected 10 of us coaches to shoot the selector switch rifles from the 200 yard line. What we learned real quick was if you fired a burst of say 2-4 rounds only the first round hit the target. The selector switch was the problem.
Sorry for the long post.
Semper Fi

L
Campfire Tracker
Online Happy
Campfire Tracker
L
I Love the M-14.

It is what the M-1 matured into being.

Some may have been bad.

I will say M16-A1 and ammo was a lot lighter.

Some spelling errors can be corrected by a vowel movement.
~ MOLON LABE ~
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The M14 is an outstanding service rifle. Possibly the best the US military ever had.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Bugger
The M14 is an outstanding service rifle. Possibly the best the US military ever had.

for being so wonderful, it sure did not stick around long.

Sam......

K
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
K
Before the M14 was chosen there were huge debates both for and against. One that was supposed to happen was that the M14 would replace both the M1 and the BAR. For sure it replaced the M1 but in no way did it come close to replacing the BAR and for me that was it's only failure.
I was not in Viet Nam but I have talked to many people who were and I personally do not remember hearing anyone talk bad about the M14s performance in combat.

Semper Fi

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
I cannot imagine carrying an M14 around all day in the tropical heat in Vietnam

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I saw guys still carrying them in Iraq in 2009.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Mannlicher

Pussy’s couldn’t handle the weight is what the powers to be claimed. Though the WWII guys could handle the M1. The M1 being nearly as good as the M14.

Stoner was an “enemy of the state” in my opinion. The GI’s having to carry his worthless invention. Politicians must have been paid big bucks for that to happen.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by Jericho
I cannot imagine carrying an M14 around all day in the tropical heat in Vietnam

It wasn't a whole bunch of fun.

Old Corps

Semper Fi

FJB
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
One of my great uncles carried a Thompson during WWII in the Philippines

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A friend of mine carried the M14 with an early night visions system. Fortunately for him, he was on a patrol boat in the delta so his humping was limited to carrying it from the arms room to the boat and from below deck to the topside then back to the arms room. He really liked it for that mission.

kwg

For liberals and anarchists, power and control is opium, selling envy is the fastest and easiest way to get it. TRR. American conservative. Never trust a white liberal. Malcom X Current NRA member.
F
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
F
Originally Posted by Mannlicher

Pussy’s couldn’t handle the weight is what the powers to be claimed. Though the WWII guys could handle the M1. The M1 being nearly as good as the M14.

Stoner was an “enemy of the state” in my opinion. The GI’s having to carry his worthless invention. Politicians must have been paid big bucks for that to happen.
Bugger...you are so wrong. Stoner perfected his rifle with IMR 4475...nearly flawless performance in all the testing. The US Ordnance board rejected the Stoner because it was 100 fps below specs. at -65 below zero. The Ordnance board changed Stoners design ammo to ball powder and that is what increased the failure rate in actual combat. The ball powder clogged the gas system internally, and the cyclic rate of fire on full auto increased from 850 rpm max to over 1000 rounds in the high temps in VNam, causing endless jams. If you want to pin the tail on the donkey, start with the Ordnance board and Olin Mathieson Corp who bribed high rankers in procurement.
See "A Bureaucratic Horror Story", The Atlantic 6/81.

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.
Q
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Q
The M14 was practically obsolete before it was built. And it tried to fill too many roles to be really effective. Most things that try to do everything well end up not doing any of them well. It consistently amazes me that the accuracy standard for the M14 was 6 MOA - and it had trouble meeting that. It's always tough to find the right balance point between having enough specialized tools and not having too many specialized tools.

The Ordnance Board bureaucrats who sabotaged the M16 (and Robert McNamara) should have all been fired and/or prosecuted.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Also, the forward assist was not Stoner's idea. He said it was not necessary, but the OB said it was.

Old Corps

Semper Fi

FJB
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The M14 was a very mis-managed program. Springfield Armory really screwed up on both the M14 and M60, and they got shut down because of their institutional arrogance. McNamara did the right thing.

V
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
V
Worst? I doubt it. Lee Navy, trap door, come to mind.

F
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
F
Originally Posted by Craigster
Also, the forward assist was not Stoner's idea. He said it was not necessary, but the OB said it was.
Actually when Stoner was finally !! consulted about the forward assist he advised them NOT to do it, mainly because if a round wouldn't go into battery with spring pressure, it would compound the jam into a real problem (needing a cleaning rod) not solved by "immediate action" ie, discarding the stuck round by cycling the charging handle...and recommended again that they, the Ord Board, forget Olin's ball powder and go back to IMR 4475...which would eliminate carbon in the gas system and jams caused by 1000 rpm cyclic rate (Stoners design was for 750 rpm and could handle up to 850).
You suspect just how bad the early M16 was in 1964, when Charley didn't even bother to pick them up on the battlefield. No wonder some units hated to give up the M-14, it may have been clunky for the purpose, but it wouldn't get you killed in a hot firefight.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

504 members (260Remguy, 1minute, 257 roberts, 1badf350, 12344mag, 10Glocks, 58 invisible), 2,417 guests, and 1,227 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,424
Posts18,489,150
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.