Good thread Hawk. Keep it up.

--- CAUGHT IN THE CROSSFIRE --- A Magic Time To Be An Illegal In America---

T
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by saddlering
I've always liked the KaBar Bowie knives, says Bowie right on the blade! They were made with good steel, get realy sharp. I've got a couple of them. Some reason the sheaths are hard to find.
Yep, and a six inch blade.

[Linked Image]

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Originally Posted by BillyGoatGruff
Originally Posted by GRIZZ
Another Randall. Sasquatch with Elephant Ivory, finger grip red what and blue spacers...

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

That’s badass
Awesome

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Here’s Randall’s Bear Bowie:
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

T
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
T
Some of you guys must have your retirement savings tied up in Randalls, LOL. A bunch of awesome Bowies.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Lately I've had a tactical knife obsession. Left to right. Spartan Blades Harsey Definsa, Medford Marine Corp Fighter (Kay Bar on steriods), Medford Marine Corp Raider...

Oh! And a Kay Bar State And Union reproduction of the prized Dog's Head Red Spacer Kay Bar.

Dog wearing an eye patch in front of cross bones. Sorta looks likes my Lab Koa boy.

Coyotes shot no waiting.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Looking for a Chris Reeve 5.5 inch serrated Green Beret.

Coyotes shot no waiting.
M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Didn’t read this entire thread and some one may have already brought it up, but there’s an excellent book on the weapons of World War II, my grandson has mine now so I can’t reference it, however it has an entire section on knifes and edged weapons issued during the war, really interesting reading. It’s a great reference book for all kinds of military equipment , in addition to just weapons. Hope I get it back someday.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Lots of really nice knives on this thread.

My only Bowie knife is a made in Japan Cold Steel Trail Master. I remember first seeing them about 35 years ago. I couldn’t afford one on paper route money. It was also offered with stag horn or maybe it was bone scales. This was my uncles that I inherited years later.

Lynn Thompson had his detractors but I’ve always liked Cold Steel. Especially the older mostly made in the US or Japan products. His catalogs were cool stuff when I was a kid. The knives were a great combination of useful designs, quality and value with some good old fashion salesmanship and selling the sizzle with the steak. Similar to Mike Dillion in that sense of offering a quality product, knowing his customer base and how to promote the product and make it fun.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by GRIZZ
Here's another for ya...

Now that is a beautiful knife. And sheath.

Last edited by BuckHaggard; 04/27/24.
IC B3

rte Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Nice knives everyone.

The term "Bowie knife" has been misconstrued to mean any large sheath knife with a clip point blade and a double hilt.

This would be considered a Bowie knife,although that term in not included in its name.It's a Randall Buxton Fighter but you can't buy this knife from the Randall shop.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Communist Goals

26. Present homosexuality and degeneracy as normal.
27. Discredit the Bible.
28. Eliminate prayer in the schools.

http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/news/1561529/posts
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have this old small Case Tested bowie from the 20's or 30's. Red bone handles, Model 651-5. The double guard is a little loose I can live with it.

Attached Images
Case small Bowie a resized.jpg (56.2 KB, 212 downloads)

"Americans have the right and advantage of being armed-unlike the citizens of other countries whose governments are afraid to trust the people with arms." James Madison
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
That Buxton fighter just gave me a chub smile

" It ain't dead.As long as there's one cowboy taking care of one cow,it ain't dead ! "
Monte Walsh
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
I am not a knnife expert by any means but from looking at numerous civil war era photos it seems that most of the people diplaying knives the pattern most often diplayed is very similar to the one currently made by Cold Steel.

https://ads.midwayusa.com/product/1...d354344276&utm_term=4584619899167985

Being that the civil war was a lot closer time wise to the Jim Bowie era I would expect that those with longer and heavier bladeswould be more representative of a Bowie knife. Also in an age of mostly single shot firearms I can see the case for a "short sword" as a back-up weapon, so to me the larger blade sizes make a lot of sense as such..

There is no doubt that a lot of blacksmith knife makers and commercial knife makers called their knives a Bowie knife - there are an almost limitless number of knives called Bowie knives.

drover

223 Rem, my favorite cartridge - you can't argue with truckloads of dead PD's and gophers.

24hourcampfire.com - The site where there is a problem for every solution.

T
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by TheLastLemming76

My only Bowie knife is a made in Japan Cold Steel Trail Master. I remember first seeing them about 35 years ago. I couldn’t afford one on paper route money. It was also offered with stag horn or maybe it was bone scales. This was my uncles that I inherited years later.

Lynn Thompson had his detractors but I’ve always liked Cold Steel. Especially the older mostly made in the US or Japan products. His catalogs were cool stuff when I was a kid. The knives were a great combination of useful designs, quality and value with some good old fashion salesmanship and selling the sizzle with the steak. Similar to Mike Dillion in that sense of offering a quality product, knowing his customer base and how to promote the product and make it fun.
I have one of those, too, except mine was made in Taiwan, blade from 01 tool steel, and has a solid brass cross guard.

[Linked Image]

T
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
T
This one is in the general style of the American Civil War era Bowie knives. Razor sharp, too.

[Linked Image]

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
This one is in the general style of the American Civil War era Bowie knives. Razor sharp, too.

[Linked Image]

And probably a lot closer to the Original Bowie than most designs.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
E
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
Originally Posted by GAGoober
Here is a Bowie Knife for you:
😎👍

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by saddlering
I've always liked the KaBar Bowie knives, says Bowie right on the blade! They were made with good steel, get realy sharp. I've got a couple of them. Some reason the sheaths are hard to find.
Yep, and a six inch blade.

[Linked Image]

That was probably the first Bowie Knife I bought as a kiddo.
Saved up my money and ride my bike to the local Gibson’s Discount Center. Surprised they let me buy it. 🤠

I remember drooling at the big Kabar and Case Knife Displays in the big glass and wooden cases. 😬

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by TheLastLemming76

I have one of those, too, except mine was made in Taiwan, blade from 01 tool steel, and has a solid brass cross guard.

[Linked Image]
👍

Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

96 members (21, 6MMWASP, Alan_C, 7mm_Loco, AdventureBound, 6 invisible), 1,523 guests, and 807 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,327
Posts18,505,888
Members74,000
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.