Hop To
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
Originally Posted by BillyGoatGruff
I wouldn't call the Case Kodiak a bowie. It's a really cool knife though.
Sure it is? What would you call it?

[Linked Image from i.ebayimg.com]

A 6" clip point fixed blade

MAGA

T
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
T

Bowie Knife: a stout single-edged hunting knife with part of the back edge curved concavely to a point and sharpened.

Sharpening the back concave edge isn't generally done anymore, due to legal concerns, some states designating that arrangement illegal.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B

Bowie Knife: a stout single-edged hunting knife with part of the back edge curved concavely to a point and sharpened.

Sharpening the back concave edge isn't generally done anymore, due to legal concerns, some states designating that arrangement illegal.

Lol you're a funny dude. God help anyone who takes you seriously.

MAGA
T
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
T
Poor Websters, right?

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Poor Websters, right?

Did CaseXX refer to it as a bowie in their literature?

MAGA
IC B2

T
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
T
Poor Websters, right?

It's a smallish Bowie (as that term is modernly used), but still a Bowie pattern knife. Sport knives, for example, don't generally have a two sided cross guard.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Poor Websters, right?

It's a smallish Bowie (as that term is modernly used), but still a Bowie pattern knife. Sport knives, for example, don't generally have a two sided cross guard.

Should I ask again?

So every clip point is by definition a bowie?

Lol

MAGA
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Poor Websters, right?

Should I ask again?

Lol

No but I’m not sure how you could look at that blade profile and not consider it a Bowie.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have had for years an EK “Bowie” knife. A little different than a lot of the clip point blades called Bowies.

Does anyone have an actual knife that Bowie owned? I seem to recall they’ve been lost to history and it’s a best guess situation as to the actual pattern. I could certainly be wrong though.

Regardless, cool knife. The case and the others posted.

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by TheLastLemming76
Being from Michigan I’ve always had a thing for Marbles. They made quite a few WWII knives also despite not being what you think of when thinking fighting knives.
In fact, the US Air Force Survival knife was originally designed and made by Marbles for the Air Force. Marbles sold it in civilian form under the name "Ideal." Other companies were licensed also to make it for the Air Force, like Camillus.

This is it in civilian (Ideal) form:

[Linked Image from image.invaluable.com]

Here it is in Air Force form:

[Linked Image from ima-usa.com]

Nice. 👍

I had a similar Bark River with the blood grove. Supposedly Mike Stewart bought them up as NOS that had been in inventory for years when Marbles went under and then built them to his specs. I regret selling it.

I have a few Marbles with the Bobcat box that are well used but this is a favorite collectible. A Plainsman I think? Not an overly useful contour IMO other than as a skinner but well made and with Buffalo horn scales that are four pinned in place. [Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

IC B3

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Poor Websters, right?

Should I ask again?

Lol

No but I’m not sure how you could look at that blade profile and not consider it a Bowie.

Probably because I've held one a buddy had that asked me to rehandle it with a piece of ironwood but I didn't have the equipment at the time to do it.

Here's a case that I guess is a bowie.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Last edited by BillyGoatGruff; 04/26/24.

MAGA
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Poor Websters, right?

Should I ask again?

Lol

No.

It doesn’t have a Bowie contour. There is no official length or contour so opinions and definitions can differ but I can’t imagine anyone considering that a Bowie. Just about all would consider OP’s knife a Bowie.

I wouldn’t even consider that a clip point. More of a skinner without a lot of belly.

T
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
T
Poor Websters, right?

Should I ask again?

Lol
I'd have to see it. Does it have a double guard, indicating its purpose is combat?

Sure, you get small enough, and it's not a Bowie, but where exactly that point is is a little vague. If having a six inch blade disqualifies a knife (that is otherwise clearly of the Bowie pattern) from being a Bowie, what about all the Baby and Mini Bowies out there? In the 1970s and 1980s I had an S&W branded belt knife (double cross guarded) that was marketed as a Bowie knife, and it was no longer than the Case Kodiak.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Poor Websters, right?

Should I ask again?

Lol
I'd have to see it. Does it have a double guard, indicating its purpose is combat? Sure, you get small enough, and it's not a Bowie, but where exactly that point is is a little vague. If being six inches disqualifies a knife (that is otherwise clearly of the Bowie pattern) from being a Bowie, what about all the Baby and Mini Bowies out there? In the 1970s and 1980s I had an S&W branded belt knife (double cross guarded) that was marketed as a Bowie knife, and it was no longer than the Case Kodiak.

You didn't reference guards when you quoted Webster's earlier, after amending their definition to allow for local ordinances discouraging the sharpening of the top of the knife.

Did Case refer to it as a bowie in their literature?

What you call "clearly a bowie pattern" just shines the spotlight on your ignorance. For a lot of reasons that'll be clear if you keep up with your nonsense.

MAGA
T
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
T
Nice. 👍

I had a similar Bark River with the blood grove. Supposedly Mike Stewart bought them up as NOS that had been in inventory for years when Marbles went under and then built them to his specs. I regret selling it.

I have a few Marbles with the Bobcat box that are well used but this is a favorite collectible. A Plainsman I think? Not an overly useful contour IMO other than as a skinner but well made and with Buffalo horn scales that are four pinned in place. [Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Yep, that's a skinner blade. Very nice. I've got several of the Bobcat boxed (Mike Stewart era) Marbles knives, myself. When he was in charge, great knives were being made under the Marbles name.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Poor Websters, right?

Should I ask again?

Lol

No.

It doesn’t have a Bowie contour. There is no official length or contour so opinions and definitions can differ but I can’t imagine anyone considering that a Bowie. Just about all would consider OP’s knife a Bowie.

I wouldn’t even consider that a clip point. More of a skinner without a lot of belly.

To be fair it's lost a bit of the tip over the years, but compare the blade pattern of my Case with the pic of the kodiak and explain how one blade pattern is a bowie and the other is not if you wouldn't mind.

MAGA
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Poor Websters, right?

Should I ask again?

Lol
I'd have to see it. Does it have a double guard, indicating its purpose is combat? Sure, you get small enough, and it's not a Bowie, but where exactly that point is is a little vague. If being six inches disqualifies a knife (that is otherwise clearly of the Bowie pattern) from being a Bowie, what about all the Baby and Mini Bowies out there? In the 1970s and 1980s I had an S&W branded belt knife (double cross guarded) that was marketed as a Bowie knife, and it was no longer than the Case Kodiak.

You didn't reference guards when you quoted Webster's earlier, after amending their definition to allow for local ordinances discouraging the sharpening of the top of the knife.

What you call "clearly a bowie pattern" just shines the spotlight on your ignorance. For a lot of reasons that'll be clear if you keep up with your nonsense.

If you’re not able to recognize OP’s knife as being clearly of a Bowie pattern it’s you that are ignorant. We can split hairs but anyone not talking out of their azz knows that’s a Bowie pattern knife. If you say otherwise you’re either looking to argue or ignorant to knife patterns.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Poor Websters, right?

Should I ask again?

Lol

If you’re not able to recognize OP’s knife as being clearly of a Bowie pattern it’s you that are ignorant. We can split hairs but anyone not talking out of their azz knows that’s a Bowie pattern knife. If you say otherwise you’re either looking to argue or ignorant to knife patterns.

To be clear, we are not talking about the knife in the original post. Rather the Case Kodiak.

MAGA
T
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
T
Poor Websters, right?

Should I ask again?

Lol

In modern parlance (likely going back a hundred years or more), Bowies generally have double guards, despite what Jim actually might have had with him at the Sandbar Fight.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Poor Websters, right?

Should I ask again?

Lol

In modern parlance (likely going back a hundred years or more), Bowies generally have double guards, despite what Jim actually might have had with him at the Sandbar Fight.

Did Case XX refer to the kodiak as a bowie in any of their literature? It's a simple damned question lol. They obviously weren't shy of doing so with the badass knife in your original post.

MAGA
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

568 members (10gaugeman, 10Glocks, 1badf350, 12344mag, 160user, 1936M71, 56 invisible), 2,619 guests, and 1,218 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,931
Posts18,498,686
Members73,983
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.