-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I wish i could give away unconditional love like my dogs do.........it's downright biblical........

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
12-15 is what ours have lived. Some went peacefully in their sleep. Some had to be put down. Our vet comes to the house and does it on our kitchen floor. Might sound odd, but they've all gone in my lap as I cry like a baby. My current lab is 6. When she is gone I'll probably have one more.

Don't just be a survivor, be a competitor.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Never had a lab . . . I have had a couple of Chesapeake Bay Retrievers. One made it to 12 years and the other only made it to 9. Both were big dogs at 100# +/-.

Hoping for the best for you and your buddy.

Someday I hope to be the person my dogs think I am . . .
The only true cost of having a dog is its death.
Someone once said "a nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves."
Shiloh Sharps . . . there is no substitute.
NRA Endowment Member
J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
9mm

I am MAGA.
B
BMT Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
It seems like I just went through this with the last dog (female lab).

Mine have passed at 13 plus.

Just realized the “new dog” is 11 now.

It hurts when they go.

But I don’t want to live without a lab around.

Great dogs.

Praying for you and your family

"The Church can and should help modern society by tirelessly insisting that the work of women in the home be recognized and respected by all in its irreplaceable value." Apostolic Exhortation On The Family, Pope John Paul II
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Twelve is a good run with a Lab. Might be time for the hard decision.

1Minute
J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
Originally Posted by Kodiakisland
12-15 is what ours have lived. Some went peacefully in their sleep. Some had to be put down. Our vet comes to the house and does it on our kitchen floor. Might sound odd, but they've all gone in my lap as I cry like a baby. My current lab is 6. When she is gone I'll probably have one more.

Thats how to do it if you have time.

I am MAGA.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Looking down at my 10 year old lab as I type. 12 is a pretty good run for a lab. About average I'd say. I hate it for you. Dogs are better than most people, and the bond we form with them is unlike anything else in this world.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
I feel for the decision you will be making.
Had to put my Aussies down at 13 years 10 months and 14 years 5 months. They were littermates.

They are buried up at our high country place and I visit their grave every time I’m up there. I still miss them terribly.

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
F
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
F
I’ve taken dogs and cats to a vet to be put down when it was their time. It’s always hard on me, but I think it’s the right way to handle it because it’s always been a peaceful exit for the animal. Vet gives them the shot and moments later they close their eyes like they’ve fallen to sleep. I’ve always been there petting them in position for them to see me so I can comfort them to their end.
I learned many pets ago that this hard time at the end of their life is absolutely worth all the years of smiles, laughs, friendship, companionship and love they offered me for their whole life.
The hardest one on me was my favorite. “Camas”, my female yellow lab was a joy to live with. A real “easy keeper”. Never did anything wrong her whole life. I said many times I should have named her “Happy”, because she always was. Best years of my life were the ones I spent with her.
OP, you and your lab are in my prayers today.

IC B3

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
The Chocolate Labrador has a shorter lifespan than the Black or Yellow Labs by about 1-1/2 to 3 years. The average lifespan for the Chocolates is about 10 to 13 years. But remember that that is an average, and some live much longer. The dog will let you know if he is ready to be put down. Most times it depends on how much effort you are willing to devote to him to keep him alive and safe. Too many people want to put an animal down simply because they don't have the will power or time needed to take care of the elderly animal.

Phil

J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
Originally Posted by Greyghost
The Chocolate Labrador has a shorter lifespan than the Black or Yellow Labs by about 1-1/2 to 3 years. The average lifespan for the Chocolates is about 10 to 13 years. But remember that that is an average, and some live much longer. The dog will let you know if he is ready to be put down. Most times it depends on how much effort you are willing to devote to him to keep him alive and safe. Too many people want to put an animal down simply because they don't have the will power or time needed to take care of the elderly animal.

Phil

Like kicking disabled veterans to the curb?

Piece of shìt.

I am MAGA.
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
We had a yellow with the laryngeal condition. It doesn’t get better on its own.

Couple that with age and painful arthritis, it’s time.

It’s never easy.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Coward, you wouldn't know anything about the military, would you! Your nothing but a little pissant.

Phil

J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
Coward, you wouldn't know anything about the military, would you! Your nothing but a little pissant.

Phil

I know enough about it that I wouldn't suck Bidens balls and support kicking out veterans down on their luck.

Like you do and did.

Now you want to tell us about dogs?

Fùck off Phillis.

I am MAGA.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Seven Heaven has some hard days ahead. It is never easy to lose a dog and it just plain hurts. A new puppy brings enough good times in life to more than balance the pain of losing the last dog. I'm probably old enough to only have one more lab and when that one's gone I won't be far behind.

Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
I waited to long on my first dog. Well, the first dog I had as an adult. I was too attached and didn’t want to let her go.

Afterwards it was easy to recognize I had let her hang on and to some extent suffer. In the moment, not so much.

Good luck with yer buddy.

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
Funny little boy, careful now, your mommy is going to wash your foul mouth out with soap again.

Phil

You apparently were in the military and still didn't learn duty or honor or not to leave a man behind.

Probably a good thing you got out so quickly.

I am MAGA.
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Funny little boy, careful now, your mommy is going to wash your foul mouth out with soap again.

Phil

J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
Originally Posted by MadMooner
I waited to long on my first dog. Well, the first dog I had as an adult. I was too attached and didn’t want to let her go.

Afterwards it was easy to recognize I had let her hang on and to some extent suffer. In the moment, not so much.

Good luck with yer buddy.

What's wrong with some "suffering"?

Within reason of course.

I am MAGA.
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

404 members (257 mag, 163bc, 2500HD, 12344mag, 160user, 10gaugemag, 40 invisible), 1,655 guests, and 994 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,867
Posts18,497,454
Members73,980
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.