Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
H
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
H
i have an almost 8 month old english setter bitch. was wanting to find a trainer in the midwest to train her for pheasant hunting im from michigan but can travel any help would be appreciated i work long hours and so does wife and dont really have the time to try to train her myself unfortunately her parents are both field registered all the way down the line and good hunters

GB1

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
If you try this on the Shooting Sportsman board ( http://bbs.shootingsportsman.com you will probably get more advice than you need...

John

JOG Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Huey,

I know a few trainers, but I need to ask the same question they will ask:

What do you want your dog to do? "Hunt pheasants" is not a specific enough answer.

Guns dog training can be broken down into two main types, "started" and "finished". With either type, yard training (obedience training to some) is a separate issue. A started dog will find and point birds, a finished dog will find and point, flush, and be steady to wing and shot. Some folks also add retrieving to �finished�, but not all when we�re talking pointers. A finished dog may do all these things, but not come when he�s called since that is part of yard training. If that sounds a little weird to you, you�re not alone.

There�s a lot of latitude in this for sure. An intelligent dog, versus a bonehead, can gain a lot from being started because they pick up more in the process. Some started dogs are actually more �hunty� than finished dogs. For sure, a yard trained and started dog will be a lot more value in the field than a finished dog that runs all over creation.

�Starting� can cost from $500-$1,000 plus boarding if the dog need to be shipped off. Most trainers will work the dog for 2-weeks to a month. There are no guarantees, since it�s not their dog or their bloodline (which is a good reason to buy a dog from a breeder/trainer). �Finishing� can cost $2,000 on up, depending on what you want and the capabilities of the trainer � does he have his own birds, fields, facilities, etc. A good pro trainer will go the extra mile with your dog because the final product and your satisfaction is his only advertising. As a result, it's not cheap.

The best thing to do is write up the ol� list. What do you want your dog to do? If you�re new to pointers, I�ll be happy to help you come up with the list and work through some pricing. Just remember, it�s important to keep yard training separate. It would cost a fortune for a gun dog trainer to handle that aspect, and it�s something you�ll have to learn to keep the dog on track for your years together. I�ve never known a dog that forgot how to hunt, but I�ve know a ton that forget their yard training.

H
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
H
i have worked with her on here and stay that sort and she listens prettyw ell needs more work of course. I would like for her to point flush and retrieve also to back up and respect other dogs points . Basicalyy to be able to take her out with other experienced dogs and have a good hunt without embaressing her or me. Ive got a pretty good tape on training and have purchased an e collar its just a matter of not having enough time to work her the way she should be worked

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

408 members (160user, 10gaugemag, 17CalFan, 06hunter59, 1badf350, 163bc, 39 invisible), 1,486 guests, and 1,043 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,216
Posts18,524,435
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.