Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
W
WTF Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Buck. The original poster did not specify custom. Besides, a Buck will work for what I need it for as well as a high dollar custom.

GB1

R
rio Offline
R
jim siska

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Okey...
.......Dokey

Having darn near all of the above plus scores more...

Limiting this to fixed blade custom maker (USER, NOT COLLECTOR!!!) hunters, from currently active makers, based on USING and TESTING on critters and test media:

Stock Removal (alphabetical, top 10):

Scott Cook
Daniel Crotts
Geno Denning
Bob Dozier
Wayne Hendrix
Gene Ingram
S.R. Johnson
Tom Krein
Charles May
Phil Wilson

Forged (ABS) (alphabetical, top 10):

Bailey Bradshaw
Bill Buxton
Ed Caffrey
Kevin Cashen
Jerry Fisk
Jimmy Fikes
Burt Foster
Mike Mann
Lynn Rhea
Daniel Winkler

Again, note the qualifications - top fixed blade hunters from currently active makers!!!

M
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
M
Journeyman

Not a bad list of makers. I am not a fan of Crotts or Dozier but
hey we can't all like the same stuff. They are basically one in the same anyways sorta like Ingram and May but I do like Ingram and May. I would replace Dozier/Crott with Lovestrand and Halfrich in my opinion Halfrich is top dog right now of current active makers. If we are talking just fillet knives then Phil Wilson would be top dog on my list.

Eat Fish, Wear Grundens, Drink Alaskan.
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I kinda like mostof the guys on Journeyman's list.At the moment I have Doziers,Crotts,Mays,Winston,and Ingrams.I also still have the old Randall fighting knife that my dad carried in Italy with the British army.I beleive they were originally made for the US Rangers. Monashee

Support the BC Wildlife Federation
IC B2

M
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
M

[Linked Image]

Like this one?

Last edited by MontanaCreekHunter; 03/21/09.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Nope,it's got a leather grip,it has the brass hilt(curved back),and an eight inch blade.It's marked "Randall Made,Sprfld Mass."Leather sheath with a small stone pocket.If you PM me with an Email addie I can send you a pic,but I'm too computer challenged to post a phot on line! Cheers,Monashee

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Monashee,

I can tell you that a Springfield Randalll is a very valuable knife. Thanks...Bill.

M
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
M
I believe yours is the Model 1. Very nice knife. Mine is a Model 18.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I'll try to figure out how to post a photo,maybe someone can give me an idea as to what I should ask for it,as I don't have a clue! Monashee

IC B3

S
S
Gotta say my favorite is definitely Merle Seguine

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
"I can tell you that a Springfield Randall is a very valuable knife. Thanks...Bill."

I have owned several Randall's and I have been to his shop in Orlando, where I met him. He even bought one of my handmade knives to go into his museaum.

The reason I am writing is that I have never heard of a Springfield Randall.

Could you go into more detail about these knifes. It was my understanding that when Randall returned from, I believe, Michigan with a Scagel, that he opened his shop in Orlando.

Did he also have a shop in Springfield.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
During the war years Bo couldn't keep up with the pace. He contracted some of the blades out to a maker in Springfield, Mass., and then he assembled the knives later. I read it in one of the books about Randall knives. You can probably find out my by going to www.knifetalkforums.com. BTY, I learned this because I am a member of the Randall Knife Society and so should everyone who likes Randall knives. Thanks...Bill.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Thanks.

I have never heard that.

I have ofter wondered how, as a one man shop, he was able to keep up with all the orders. It looks like he would have had to work day and night. As a one man factory, I know that I couldn't do it.

M
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
M
Merle Sguine there is a name I have not heard in a few years. His son Larry was making knives too. I believe there is a Merle Seguine at the State Mesuam in Juneau still. I traded the only Merle Seguine I had for a rifle many years back.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
I got to jump in here with my favorite, a Randall Model 7, 5"
and since you are a Randall guy, heres the little story. My dad and I had purchased a few Randalls through the 60's, then lost touch, or so I thought. After two moves and no contact, Bo Randall himself sent me a note to my college dorm in 1972. He was almost four years behind at the time, due to that war... but he said he had a Model 7 someone refused at the last minute, he could finish it and get it to me in two weeks for the then grand sum of $52. Done deal...
36 years, three sheaths and box car loads of game of all types, and me and the Randall still dress at least one deer per year, for old times sake. smile
Yeah, I'll bet there are better knives out there,but they couldn't be significantly better, or any more sentimental..
Ingwe

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
You and I think the same way about knives. I know all the others mentioned are great knifmakers but in my mind only two were great, Bo Randall and Corbet Sigman, both sadly gone.

You have class Sir.

Thanks...

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Tanks M70man!
Got an epilogue for you...
In .'92 I decided I needed another Randall, wrote Gary a note, told him we did some business over the years with his dad, and I needed a Camp/Trail knife. While I was waiting for the reply, somebody loaned me a book on Randall to read...seems like Bo NEVER threw away any correspondence.....Apparently Gary looked up my name and sent a personal letter back.." Have your new knife to you in 2 weeks" (!), and he DID! smile
I thought that was cool...had him put the family name on the knife and gave it to one of our outdoor progeny...
Ingwe

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Ingwe,

Thanks for a great story. In the early 90s (I think) I called Gary about a Model 25. I told him that he hunted with my cousin's guide service in Alaska. After a few minutes chit chat he said he just happened to have a 25 there somewhere. Needless to say I still have it.

Again, great story. Thanks...Bill.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
grin
Ingwe

Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

582 members (1234, 10gaugeman, 10Glocks, 12344mag, 160user, 1936M71, 58 invisible), 2,573 guests, and 1,206 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,932
Posts18,498,700
Members73,983
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.