Print Thread
Hop To
J
John1 Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
J
Anyone have a recommendation for those underground fences for dogs? My wife wants one for a new dog and I know nothing about them. Thanks, John.

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have a friend who has one of the Cabelas brand. He used heavier gauge wire than what was supplied but has had it for a couple of years now and has no problems. I have seen it in action and it really works well on his car chasing border collie.

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Would not work with my GSP. The shock that the collar emited if he crossed the boundary was not enough to contain him. Once he learned that the punishment for crossing the barrier was negligible, he would simply bolt through. I now have to put my field training collar on him ( that emits quite a painful shock ) when I let out of the fence.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
John1

They would not stop my friend, CJ the cocker spaniel. He would take the shock in order to be with my family and me. Thanks...

K
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
K
John- Call Karen Kline(360-638-2726) she is a distributor/sales here in Washington. She deals with Invisible Fence and should be able to answer any questions you have.
-mike

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have one and my Llewellin Setter would not dream of crossing it. I think the battery in his collar has been dead for a year now and he still has not left the confines. A buddy has two rowdy labs that wouldn't dream of crossing the line either. Both of my experiences have been nothing but perfect.

Roads

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have a pair of beagles (the alpha male and runt of the litter) and use a wireless fence (I think it's made by PetSafe). The transmitter allows a 90ft radius. If they cross it, the collar will shock for 30 seconds then quit. Pete the runt constantly tests the perimeter. When the battery in the collar dies, he runs off. Jake has had a dead battery for 3-4 months without taking off. Jake has taken to the training while Pete is just headstrong.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I've had the same experience that some dogs take to it well and others are willing to suffer the shock in order to have fun.

I had one pointer that would go through a cattle fence charger and squeal in pain doing it just to get out for a little run. I had to build an inclosed kennel for the pointers. I could not contain them in the yard. Heck, I had one that learned to lift the latch on the gate and let every dog lose for a romp. She forced me to put locks on the kennel gates. Not many critters are smarter than hunting dogs.

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
Edmund Burke 1795

"Give me liberty or give me death"
Patrick Henry 1775
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
My buddy ordered one of the more expensive ones and loved it.
Many people don't take the time to train the dog properly - and if not done - dogs will often bolt through it. With proper training that shouldn't happen with a properly installed and trained dog. You have to do your part.
If you do, the fence will do it's part.

Brian

Vernon BC Canada

"Nothing in life - can compare to seeing smiles on your children's faces."
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
To all--

I had the Pet Fence (no underground wire but a tranmitter with a 90' range in your house or wherever) from Cabelas for my new GWP and found out he had a "soft" disposition and didnt' require it because after a few days he was completely obediant without it. So based on what was said here and my experience, I would submit it depends on your dog's disposition, temperment. From what I observed, if you use it correctly and take the time to train it will work with the right animal - not with others. My dog cowered with the first shock and seemed to make him insecure so I canned the whole idea and found out he didn't need it.

GDV

IC B3

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
i have an ivisable fence burried in my yard, it is now replaced with 800 ft of chain link. The invisable fence worked great on my pit bull untill she found out that she could just run on through it after about a year of being a good dog, a car got her. My english pointer with very short hair was easy to train and i had little trouble with her the problem was the neighbor dogs were becomming a problem so I built a fence to keep them out it works.
I burried The invisable fence wire in less than 2 hours, nearly 1000 ft. i made a plow out of a one foot chunk of grader shoe 3/4 x 4" wide hardned steel, cut a bevel on the end at 45+ degrees that is on the bias of the plate sharpened the leading edge so when stood on end the point goes down with a knife edge in front. i welded a 3/8 pipe on the trailing edge, the pipe was bent to a 90 degree angle away from the leading edge. i made a mount to go on the draw bar of my lawn tractor. When lowered the blade cuts into the soil like a knife the wire is fed through the pipe and is burried as you move foreward in good soil with out a lot of rocks you can lay a lot of wire in a hurry. iset my draw bar to just allow the blade to go to a max of 4 " with the pipe at 2". My buddy walked behind feeding the wire. The only problem was that the top of the pipe was too low and it got a pebble in it and broke the wire. The fix was simple just duct taped a 1 ft piece of hose on the pipe and no more rocks through the top.
My sisters neighbor paid some company over a $1500 to install his invisable fence, I looked at the site and i could drive around the place with out any problem. I am going to put one in my sisters yard this spring for her little mutt. The neighbor is gonna be pizzed.

Bullwnkl

Money talks Bull [bleep] walks
Business as usual

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

624 members (160user, 10Glocks, 10gaugeman, 06hunter59, 12344mag, 19rabbit52, 64 invisible), 2,426 guests, and 1,304 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,197
Posts18,524,088
Members74,030
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.