-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Feral dog packs are usually the result of people "dropping them off" so they don't have to deal with them. If you have these packs around, you'll notice they are often the same breed and age, indicating a litter of pups was thrown out. They can be smart too and as wary of humans as coyotes.

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
A 7 year old boy just got mauled by a COLLIE that he has played with, it belonged to his neighbor, and like a good neighbor he paid for all damages and wacked his own dog with a 357 mag,
most of the dogs I have had trouble was collies. when I was a kid all the farms had them but they are not all Lassies.

IMO they are the most underrated dogs around for being vicious.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Redneck

I don't give a chit.. I see a pack of dogs runnin' and they'll be dodgin' hot lead until one of us gets lucky..

Redneck;
I alluded to some fairly intimate knowledge of dealing with mineral imbalance issues as they pertain to canines. The details of those encounters were unfortunately lost to me, as in, "I have no clear memory of that event."

As this all took place some time ago and I believe that the training officer has since retired, I will tell a short story � well short for me anyway. smile

In another time, I was involved in an auxiliary program with the local Conservation Officer Service. Among the benefits were that the CO didn�t have to ride solo and was intentionally paired with a local who knew that chunk of the mountains being patrolled that day. Some of the areas patrolled in our part of the world are staggering in size to say the least.

Anyway we underwent a background check and then had a training session or two. During one particular training session one of my fellow auxiliaries posed a question this way to the CO training officer.

�So I�m up hunting, I see a couple dogs running around and I shoot them, then I report it to you and..�

The CO held up his hand and said, �In BC it is unlawful for a private individual to shoot free-running dogs on public land. Only a CO or other LEO is allowed to do that. So then you should not be reporting the incident to me as I am bound by law to act upon violations that I am made aware of.�

Buddy tries again, �Right, but say I�m up hunting, I see a couple dogs chasing a deer so I shoot them, then I tell you guys and �.�

Again the hand of the CO came up. He looked directly at my fellow auxiliary and said, �Look ______, I don�t want to know, OK? Shoot them all, that�s great, but at no time will you ever, ever mention it to me or any other CO, OK?�

To say the least we all got a very good laugh over it and some of us still recall those golden instructions these many years later. whistle

Have a good week.

Regards,
Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Archerhunter
They should have listened to Bob Barker...

I spay and neuter all feral cats and dogs I see. For some reason none ever seem to survive the operation, though. Perhaps it's the tools I use.

Back in my younger days, my buddies and I use to catch all the stray dogs and cats and operated on them. We were all raised on the farm and knew what we were doing and to the best of my knowledge, all survived.

This came to a halt when one night the police showed up and took us all down to the station for questioning. We had unknowingly cut a ladies prize cat the night before. The cat was wondering around at night, do we figured it was a stray. Of course none of us knew anything about what was happening and we all got off with a warning.

Old Turd- Deplorable- Unrepentant Murderer- Domestic Violent Extremist

Just "Campfire Riffraff and Trash"

This will be my last post! Flave 1/3/21
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Here in Flagstaff, four wolf-dog hybrids escaped and went on a killing rampage. The fact that they had to be kept behind and electric fence to begin with causes suspicion. Three of the four were shot.

http://azdailysun.com/news/local/article_4a35bef2-840e-59d2-a463-3093051f77ab.html?mode=story

IC B2

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
One CO with some common sense... laugh

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by LouisB
As was the custom then ranchers hung coyotes on the fence near the entrance gate to their place (don't ask me, that is just what folks did). One rancher east of town did that with strays he picked off and somehow a photo of it made either "Look"
"Life" or Saturday Evening Post" it caused a row til he told folks from "the east" that wer aghast that if they did not like it they could pay for stock damages . . . things got quiet. Different times it was!

Cousin of mine started hanging the abandon dogs he killed on the fence. Were not any more for about 6 months and that was because some idiot took them down.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by skullmonkey
Kill them. Kill them all. Kill them dead. If they pack up they will kill at some point. May not be your kid but it'll be something. I lost 9 goats and the $300 Pyrenees I put in there to protect them inside of a fenced enclosure. Ugly scene. It got worse when I got home & found it & realized that they were still inside the fence & couldn't get out. Five dogs, six rounds of .45. I called the three owners of the dogs and told them what had happened and that they would need to pick up their animals if they wanted them back. Nobody showed up. Called the sheriff's dept & dog warden to explain myself if they received a call about the incident. They did not. I live between two farms. One is a dairy and one a beef cattle operation. The going rule is that if a dog is seen chasing an animal it is shot. Period. Very few neighbors have dogs that wander. If they do it usually doesn't last long. Now don't get me wrong, I love dogs. I have had many since my childhood but if any one of mine packed up I'd hope that someone else did the same. I have eventually kinda gotten over the goat incident but still shudder to think about the fact that my daughter (7) plays outside daily & this all happened within 50 yards of the house. Kill them.

If you knew the owners they should have gotten the mutts returned (yes, dead bodies) and handed a large bill for the damages that the mutts did. I like dogs BUT they do need to be kept under control and if the owners can't or won't do it the owners need to pay for the damages that their mutts do. Most seem to "think" that they are not at fault for what their mutt does until they get drug into court and have to explain why they "think" that way to a very unsympathetic judge.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Oldmanms2003
Originally Posted by Archerhunter
They should have listened to Bob Barker...

I spay and neuter all feral cats and dogs I see. For some reason none ever seem to survive the operation, though. Perhaps it's the tools I use.

Back in my younger days, my buddies and I use to catch all the stray dogs and cats and operated on them. We were all raised on the farm and knew what we were doing and to the best of my knowledge, all survived.

This came to a halt when one night the police showed up and took us all down to the station for questioning. We had unknowingly cut a ladies prize cat the night before. The cat was wondering around at night, do we figured it was a stray. Of course none of us knew anything about what was happening and we all got off with a warning.

LOL.
I can just about see the innocent look on your faces smile

My procedure probably wasn't quite as surgical as yours. While broadheads make nice clean cuts lead doesn't. And broadhead cuts usually aren't quite precise enough for careful removal of specific organs.
Results: negative patient care outcome grin

BAN THE RAINBOW FLAG!
PERVERTS OFFEND ME!

"When is penguin season, daddy? I wanna go kill a penguin!"
---- 4 yr old Archerhuntress

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Exactly.. I take no chances, even though our Boxers are wonderful dogs - they're DOGS.. And if they get a chance they'll chase something..

It's why I spent over a thou to have Hidden Fence installed and I never let 'em out w/o the collars on.. They have learned their parameters well.. laugh

My only worry now is if a pack of coyotes come in the yard or the occasional wolf.. But I keep a few 'toys' on hand just in case that little event occurs..

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by RedRabbit
The fact that they had to be kept behind and electric fence to begin with causes suspicion.

Good point, that.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
H
H
I hear lama were good at keeping coyote on the run around live stock.

Last edited by howards; 02/19/10.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

311 members (264mag, 160user, 12344mag, 2500HD, 1lessdog, 01Foreman400, 33 invisible), 1,413 guests, and 975 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,865
Posts18,497,345
Members73,980
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.