Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
R
roy67 Offline OP
OP Offline
R
I have a taurus SS Judge that I have returned to taurus four times with no resulation. the problum is when firing it with 410's the gun "locks' up. the cylinder will not open and the hammer will not cock, I have found that when this happens you can push the cylinder release forward , tap with small rubber hammer and the cylinder will open. Taurua says they fire it 20 to 30 times with no problem. Has anyone had this and what does it take to fix

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Exact same Issues I had with Taurus customer service with my Tracker .41 mag. They never did fix it, and I'll not own a Taurus again.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
how many times have you tried firing it?

Some guns just need to work in and slick up. try shooting a box or 2 through it. Then when they tell you to fire it 20-30, you can tell them you did 50-100 and it's still doing it

NRA Life Member
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by roy67
I have a taurus SS Judge that I have returned to taurus four times with no resulation. the problum is when firing it with 410's the gun "locks' up. the cylinder will not open and the hammer will not cock, I have found that when this happens you can push the cylinder release forward , tap with small rubber hammer and the cylinder will open. Taurua says they fire it 20 to 30 times with no problem. Has anyone had this and what does it take to fix

Never happened in mine.. But my main question is - what shells are you using? Factory loads? What size shot?

What I'm betting is happening is after it's fired, the shell case heads are either backing out a tad or the primer is.. That will lock it up and prevent rotation of the cyliner - i.e., it won't cock either.. Because the latch is operated and a little tap allows the cylinder release tells me the case heads are rubbing against the back of the frame..

First, try different ammo - let's say, skeet loads.. See how those work. Progress into heavier loads and see where the issue arrises..

Post back with results..

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
R
roy67 Offline OP
OP Offline
R
the factory told me to use either win or remington. at first i used estate and the brass would swell and ejection was a problem. this last time i used win AA # 6 out of 15 rounds we had 5 failures

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Have fired beaucoup many .410 shotshells through a Judge with no such issues. A guy almost has to assume that the post-firing tightness issue has to do with primer or brass expanded/backed-out.

Does your Judge have the 2.5 inch shotshell chamber or the 3 inch chamber? 3 inch or 6 inch barrel?

Does it do anything similar when firing the .45LC rounds? Any evidence of backed-out primers with either round? If you have a mic, maybe check the base/case dia before and after firing to determine any extent of expansion.

This is an interesting situation. Hope you stay with us until it is resolved and reported.

NRA Member - Life, Benefactor, Patron
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Some folks are having problems with steel case heads on the shotgun ammo not contracting after firing and locking things up. Might want to check out Federal's new Judge ammo. It's designed with a brass shell head. The brass is designed to return to near original size after firing. They will be making it in twenty round boxes in size 4 and, I think, buck shot to start with. Don't know when it will be on dealers shelves.
If you don't have aproblem with the 45 casings, this sounds like your problem.
Bfly

Be nice and work hard, you never have enough time or friends.
M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
The judge ammo patterns a lot better than other shotshells out of my gun.

NRA - Life Member
GOA - Life Member
N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
My Judge did the same thing. It also would not reset the trigger using either factory .410 or .45 Colt. It went back to Taurus twice with no resolution. My local gunsmith fixed the timing and got it working most of the time. Now it will not shoot double action with .45 Colt reloads (WLP primers). I have gone back to carrying a .44 Mag with rat shot and solids.

F
F
I had exactly the same problem with a TAURUS Judge as described by roy67. My gun is brand new and has a 2.5 " shot chamber. I took it to a shooting range for the first time last week and after shooting 5 rounds of .410 ammo the gun locked up.
I could not release the empty shells from the cylinder, and the hammer and trigger were inoperative; completely frozen.
I sent the gun to Taurus for repair and am waiting on their reply. Anyone knows their response time or have any further suggestions or recommendations?

fenix69
IC B3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

598 members (10gaugemag, 1badf350, 1Longbow, 10Glocks, 1lessdog, 54 invisible), 2,610 guests, and 1,230 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,937
Posts18,498,866
Members73,983
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.