Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
rob p Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Boneless short ribs!!!

I got my first package a couple months ago and put up a post on how absolutely wonderful they are. Tonight, I couldn't eat with my family. I made polenta two days ago with Italian sausage and mushrooms.

We had polenta left over so I bought a package of boneless short ribs and a can of Le Seur peas. I cut the short ribs into 1" cubes and browned them in olive oil. I added a chopped onion and a garlic clove. A couple minutes later, a jar or Rinaldi traditional sauce and a can of chicken stock. I left the can of peas on the counter with a note to let the beef bubble on low for 3 hours before putting in the peas.

They called me to tell me how good it was. I ate it at 8 tonight and it was so good, I want to have it tomorrow for breakfast. Maybe on mashed potatoes this time, but I'd like some more. I don't think any cut of cow tastes more richly of beef than short ribs, and you can use the boneless version just like you would a chuck roast. I think it has more taste.

"I didn't get the sophisticated gene in this family. I started the sophisticated gene in this family." Willie Robertson
GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I can see how that would be a good thing and I will have to look for them. Some time back I discovered "Farmer style boneless pork ribs" which are actually more shoulder than ribs... They are great!

I like to roll them in seasoned flour, brown them in a hot skillet, then smother in some kind of sauce or juice and simmer covered till done...

The gravy is killer with the pork cooked in the juice or sauce.

Costco has a Raspberry Chipotle and a Smoked Bourbon Pineapple sauce that really works for me!

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by rob p
Boneless short ribs!!!

I got my first package a couple months ago and put up a post on how absolutely wonderful they are. Tonight, I couldn't eat with my family. I made polenta two days ago with Italian sausage and mushrooms.

We had polenta left over so I bought a package of boneless short ribs and a can of Le Seur peas. I cut the short ribs into 1" cubes and browned them in olive oil. I added a chopped onion and a garlic clove. A couple minutes later, a jar or Rinaldi traditional sauce and a can of chicken stock. I left the can of peas on the counter with a note to let the beef bubble on low for 3 hours before putting in the peas.

They called me to tell me how good it was. I ate it at 8 tonight and it was so good, I want to have it tomorrow for breakfast. Maybe on mashed potatoes this time, but I'd like some more. I don't think any cut of cow tastes more richly of beef than short ribs, and you can use the boneless version just like you would a chuck roast. I think it has more taste.
That's an amazing coincidence. I just finished off the last of the left overs from yesterday's short ribs. I browned them on all sides in hot olive oil, then (after removing them from the pot) sauteed some chopped onions in the fat, then some garlic, then a couple cans of San Marzano tomatoes (hard parts and bits of skin removed by hand, then hand-crushed), salt, oregano from the herb garden out back, bay leaves), short ribs back in, simmered for three hours. Great sauce (or, if you prefer, "gravy") for pasta, and great eating the short ribs when the meat is falling off the bones (mine had bones). The bones add something to the sauce's flavor, I think.

PS Shame on you for using Rinaldi. grin

rob p Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
My Mom's family is from Italy and they like Rinaldi.
We used go grow, tomatoes, peel them, chop them, and stuff them in bottles with basil and garlic and boil them in a washtub out on the lawn. Rinaldi is easier!

I put olive oil in a pan and cut up a half an onion and a couple cloves of garlic and cook them nice and soft before adding the sauce. Towards the end I add basil, oregano, and parsley. It's still easier than making sauce and it's good.

I am still pretty impressed with boneless short ribs. The pieces are small, but boy is the meat tasty.

"I didn't get the sophisticated gene in this family. I started the sophisticated gene in this family." Willie Robertson
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
My Mom's family is from Italy and they like Rinaldi.
We used go grow, tomatoes, peel them, chop them, and stuff them in bottles with basil and garlic and boil them in a washtub out on the lawn. Rinaldi is easier!

I put olive oil in a pan and cut up a half an onion and a couple cloves of garlic and cook them nice and soft before adding the sauce. Towards the end I add basil, oregano, and parsley. It's still easier than making sauce and it's good.

I am still pretty impressed with boneless short ribs. The pieces are small, but boy is the meat tasty.
Do they have the rubbery tube that encases the bone on it, or is that removed?

IC B2

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Rob, I cook in big batches and then freeze them like this. The Tupperware contains home-made chicken broth, two of the vacuum packs contain meat sauce, and one contains marinara. I don't have to cook so often this way.

[Linked Image]

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
that's pretty cool hawkeye... you just freeze your sauce in a container and then quickly vacuum pack once its frozen I assume??? nice way to keep the frost out and not end up with all of your tuperware in the freezer!!

Andrew
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by lovemy99
that's pretty cool hawkeye... you just freeze your sauce in a container and then quickly vacuum pack once its frozen I assume??? nice way to keep the frost out and not end up with all of your tuperware in the freezer!!
You got it. That's exactly right. I sometimes do the broth that way too, if I'm running low on Tupperware.

rob p Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
It is a good idea. My problem is I cook for 6 people every day, and my Brother and his wife get a doggy bag of everything I make. I might have a quart of sauce left over from a #10 can after supper.

The boneless shortribs are minus the rubbery center, just meat. I've seen them in 3" by 2" by 1" squares and in 3" by 1" by 1" strips. They trim the extra fat off the outsides too. You don't have to skim it all off your sauce. They are really nice.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
We had ours on cheesy (smoked gouda) grits with whole corn kernels. Yowzer.

Murphy was a grunt.
IC B3

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I like to take English cut short ribs (why they're called this I don't know) and grill them like a steak. I usually just season with salt and pepper and put them over very hot coals bone-side down. The bone seasons and helps cook the meat. A quick flip for browning and after a quick rest, they're good to go! The flavor is hard to beat and though not the tenderest piece of meat you'll ever eat, you won't mind the extra chew because they're delicious.

I'm Kev

<---He's Grady. Australian Shepherd... aka. Super-G.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I learned about that one a long time ago. Your thought are dead on. They even cook up good in the oven on a grill rack.

A little chewy but oh so good.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Amen brother! Here's a great write-up on the matter:
http://justcookit.blogspot.com/2009/06/barbecued-beef-short-ribs.html

I'm Kev

<---He's Grady. Australian Shepherd... aka. Super-G.
rob p Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I have cooked many many short ribs in a braise. I've never tried to cook one dry. I'd be scared to, quite honestly. The left over sauce and peas from yesterday went over orecchiette (Italian for earlobe) pasta. I have no more, and have to wait a while before starting again.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
I have cooked many many short ribs in a braise. I've never tried to cook one dry. I'd be scared to, quite honestly. The left over sauce and peas from yesterday went over orecchiette (Italian for earlobe) pasta. I have no more, and have to wait a while before starting again.
The sauce it makes is almost as good as the short ribs.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Cooked up some boneless short ribs. Browned them in some butter, then put them in some left over pizza sauce and simmered them for about 4 hours.

Served them over curly Q noodles. Yum Yum!

They turned out GREAT!

Virgil B.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by vbshootinrange
Cooked up some boneless short ribs. Browned them in some butter, then put them in some left over pizza sauce and simmered them for about 4 hours.

Served them over curly Q noodles. Yum Yum!

They turned out GREAT!

Virgil B.
I bet they did.

rob p Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I think they're great. They're $4 a pound but you don't need to eat a pound each. I made bbq for 100 on Saturday and the guy ordered way more than he needed. We had 2 cases of spare ribs and easily had a case left over. He was giving them away. I snagged two and a cornbread pan and put them out in the truck. I gave my Brother a rack and left one at my Mom's. I painted them with KC Masterpiece bbq sauce and heated them up on the grill. My Brother picked every piece of meat off his and put it in tomato sauce. Tonight was the third night in a row he had it. He said it was good. Meat simmering in sauce is kind of like magic in the forest. I really liked the peas in the sauce with the short ribs though. Over polenta is good. With peas was better.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
you had me at polenta....

Kiss your girlfriend where it smells.......take her to Jersey!

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by Adkstalker
you had me at polenta....
My Southern grandma used to make me poleta all the time, but she called it corn mush. grin

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

348 members (264mag, 160user, 21, 17CalFan, 2500HD, 257 mag, 36 invisible), 17,039 guests, and 1,046 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,881
Posts18,538,370
Members74,050
Most Online20,796
04:44 PM

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.