-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 11 of 17 1 2 9 10 11 12 13 16 17
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
This is a sad, sad state of affairs for CFB. I really wish it hadn't come up at all.

That said, the whole trifling mess comes down to 2 questions I think:

1) Do you believe Cam Newton knew nothing of the shenanigans of his father.

2) Do you believe Auburn refused to play along irregardless of Mr. Newton's 'the pay was too good' statement.

Like politics nowadays I would guess the answer to those questions depends on whether you are an Auburn fan or not. I know what my answers to those questions is but it doesn't give me a surge of self righteous anger, it just makes me a bit sad. And tired. I just want the whole mess and all those involved to disappear.

Will

Smellin' a lot of 'if' coming off this plan.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I pretty much agree with your thoughts, Will.

Nothing is to be gained by this....Nothing

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Penguin
This is a sad, sad state of affairs for CFB. I really wish it hadn't come up at all.

2) Do you believe Auburn refused to play along irregardless of Mr. Newton's 'the pay was too good' statement.

Like politics nowadays I would guess the answer to those questions depends on whether you are an Auburn fan or not. I know what my answers to those questions is but it doesn't give me a surge of self righteous anger, it just makes me a bit sad. And tired. I just want the whole mess and all those involved to disappear.

Will

"Do you believe"????????? What does "believe" have to do with it?

V
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
V
Originally Posted by bxroads
Originally Posted by Penguin

Will

To you, everything.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Who claims that Cam said "the pay was to good"? If you know that answser then "belief" becomes very questionable.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I'll save you the research. It was Kenny Rogers who claims that Cam told him "The pay was to good".

V
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
V
This one, is FAR from over.

Enjoy your bought-and-paid for title; as the title is all that seems to matter to you, regardless of how it was obtained.

Must be a "judgment" call, right?

V
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
V
Yeah, we can't take the word of a dirty agent...

But, we can take the word of a liar, a cheat, and a thief with everything to lose, right?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
This whole ordeal is a black eye for college football, in all respects.

I have a feeling this is all far from over, too.

I'm certainly hoping South Carolina can beat Auburn in the SEC title game, regardless if NCAA declares Newton is in the clear.

There is not an ounce of doubt in my mind that Cam Newton had knowledge of the intentions and dealings that his father had over the course of these events. If anyone honestly believes Cam Newton had absolutely zero knowledge of any of this, I think you're being pretty naive, or you're just an Auburn fan. It might be different if Cam had no contact with his father and he still went ahead and did this, but for a father/son to admittedly be so close and still claim Cam is totally innocent, I'm not buying into it...

WGM Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by VAnimrod

But, we can take the word of a liar, a cheat, and a thief with everything to lose, right?

EXACTLY ...

-WGM-
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by WGM

EXACTLY ...

Yep.

Funny how that all works, isn't it?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Well I was speaking only as it pertains to our opinion, as fans, as to whether Cam and Auburn are in the clear. The NCAA has clearly ruled that they do not believe that Cam knew of the efforts of his father to market him, hence he and Auburn are in the clear. This was the basis for reinstating him.

NOW where does that lead one? To the inevitable conclusion that solicitation of payment for services is OK as long as the player in question is unaware of this effort. Isn't that a nice can of worms? :p

Can you imagine the implications to recruiting now? Moms, dads, and every other relative is apparently allowed to solicit payment as long as the kid ~wink~ knows nothing of it.

You want another belief? I believe this ruling is a disgrace. A complete disgrace.

Will

Smellin' a lot of 'if' coming off this plan.
hatari Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
This one, is FAR from over.

Enjoy your bought-and-paid for title; as the title is all that seems to matter to you, regardless of how it was obtained.

Must be a "judgment" call, right?

Please explain "bought and paid for". Rogers allegedly was dealing with MSU. Newton isn't at MSU.

Your faux self-righteous indignation ignores the fact that Newton never got money from MSU, and does not play for MSU. MSU is not representing the SEC West in Atlanta this weekend. MSU did not "buy" this player. There are no allegations anywhere that hint at any wrong doing at AU. The NCAA investigated Newton and MSU.

The posturing seen here resembles a pre-air meeting of Sports Talk Radio.
"We need to get things riled up. Ok, Host A, you fain outrage and indignation. Host B, you are the supporter. Let's get these callers going! Ignore the facts, hammer your point, even if you're wrong!"

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
When it all comes out you will know that Kenny Rogers solicited Cecil Newton and State. State is the only school involved because that's where Rogers had connections and thought he could make something happen. Cecil bought in but for whatever reason, the deal went south. I don't have any insight into that part. They came to Auburn with arms wide open needing a bail out.

When it all comes out the hammer will come down on agents.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If you're old enough to remember the old saying in 1973... "Nixon Knew" then the same thing goes for today, "$cam Knew"

Hell, if it weren't for pay to play along with Georgia High schools, Auburn wouldn't have a team to worry about anyhow!

Just for good measure, I'm pulling for (not at) the Cocks grin just to make things more bearable.

"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man."
Thomas Jefferson

GeoW, The "Unwoke" ...Let's go Brandon!

"A Well Regulated Militia" Life Member

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I'll be pulling for Auburn but I've got an eerie feeling that it's not going to turn out so good for them on Saturday.

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by WGM
Originally Posted by jwp475

I really have no issue with college athletes getting payed to play. Every body else is making money off of the athlete's, except the athlete

I don't either ... except for the fact that the current rules don't allow for it.

If you think players should be paid, the way to go about it is to work at changing the rules ...

the WRONG way to go about it is to ignore the rules and say "they aren't fair rules, therefore I'm not going to abide by them" ...

Agree.........

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by hatari
While we're at it, why is there no talk of MSU and probation?

Since it seems to be established that Cecil conspired with Kenny Rogers, a MSU alum, to get extra benefits from MSU, and they talked to Bill Bell, a MSU alum about furnishing such benefits, then it should be MSU in hot water over this.

Just remember, this isn't a case closed deal...you can bet the farm that the NCAA isn't done with it yet.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
This case will NOT be closed as far as the NCAA until Auburn is eliminated from the National Championship picture (either by losing to South Carolina, losing the Championship game, or winning it all thereby ending the season).

At that point, it may well be that Cam Newton is declared in violation and punisment may be handed out to all involved. However, none of this will happpen as long as Auburn is still in the hunt.

This is NOT because anyone involved with the investigation is tring to advance Auburn's cause......but because they are tring to preserve the "image" of the National championship and BCS system.

Had the NCAA moved on this issue EARLY in the discussion (before the BCS rankings became the cesspool it became toward the end of the season).....al of this posuring could have been avoided. However, they did NOT immediately act and set the stage for a disaster.

I'm quite sure that those inside the NCAA were praying for an Auburn loss all season (or a loss by both Boise State AND TCU) which would have allowed action without screwing the credibility of the entire BCS system.

When Auburn refused to play along (and lose) and Boise State and TCU continued to climb the rankings (due to foolishly high pre-season rankings and weak conference schedules) high enough be considered "legitimate" contenders for the final game....the NCAA was left with little choice but to delay any decision on the Newton scandle.

When the public outcry got to the point where SOME action had to take place (or risk the NCAA's reputation being TOTALLY destroyed)....there were only two real options.

1. Declare Cam Newton ineligable (which is the RIGHT and CORRECT action based on NCAA rules) and make a mockery of the entire BCS system by almost guaranteeing that an undeserving, second-rate team be "handed" a ticket to the Championship game. This was unacceptable as it would make clear that the whole BCS system (and therefor the idea of a "true" National Championship) was flawed.

or....

2. Declare Newton eligable and guilt-free and set up a Championship game with two semi-legitimate teams involved. This too was distasteful as it makes a mockery of the NCAA's rules against agents and illegal pay-for-play situations. However, it DOES avoid another "National Champion" like the one which occured in the 80's when Brigham Young was rated too high pre-season and "backed" into a championship as better teams eliminated each other while BYU played a schedule "almost" as tough as a good Texas high school district.

The NCAA, in all it "wisdom" managed to not choose either option, but to find a third which actually pisses everyone in the sports community off. That is to declare Newton in violation, but then "reinstate" him long enough to win the National Championship.....but retain the option of taking later action after the season is ended.

I feel this is exactly what will happen (and have been predicting this for months). Auburn will go to play the National Championship game, but AFTER the season is over, the NCAA will reverse it's self and take action against Newton and any schools involved.

Unfortunately, this will likely include Auburn being required to forfeit any games in which Newton (NOW concidered and ineligable player) took part.

This is sad in so many ways. It is unfair to an Auburn team that did no wrong, it is unfair to any team eliminated from the championship picture due to a loss to Auburn (with an illegal Cam Newton playing) and it is unfair to a great (even if undeserving) TCU team who will be shut out of the championship possibility.

However, the NCAA (and BCS system) will supposedly retain dignity by hosting a "legitimate" championship game.

Sad, but that's how I see things playing out.

I hate change, it's never for the better.... Grumpy Old Men
The more I learn, the more I realize how little I know
hatari Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I'll be pulling for Auburn but I've got an eerie feeling that it's not going to turn out so good for them on Saturday.

With their secondary, I hear you.

This faux outrage about Newton slays me. UGA had some 11 players arrested and charged with various offenses this year, not including their Athletic Director (wear did those red panties come from?).

So UGA had a dozen people from the football program break the law (not some NCAA Rule), get arrested and booked, yet I here no outrage over this. A dozen! Why not void their miserable season? Why not declare Caleb King ineligible for the whole season. Why not void last season since A J Green sold his jersey actually did receive some extra benefit. Sure, UGA made him sit out 4 games this year, but what about last year?? What about the a-holes on virtually every football team that get DUI/drunk and disorderly, assault, etc. each season. That's not nearly as offensive? Where's the outrage? Boys will be boys?

Please!

No, the self righteous have watched too much Sports Center, and want to be the ones to pass absolute judgement on the matter.

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
Page 11 of 17 1 2 9 10 11 12 13 16 17

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

120 members (300_savage, 10gaugemag, 257_X_50, 338Rules, 29aholic, 308xray, 14 invisible), 1,502 guests, and 847 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,863
Posts18,497,207
Members73,979
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.