Print Thread
Hop To
L
lhead71 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
L
Anybody here worked up loads with this powder. I really want to try it in my .35 Whelen. I see that Hornady has a .35 Whelen Superformance load.

Enough already, just shoot it!
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Welcome to the Campfire!

There was a thread a couple months ago about the Hodgdon Superformance powder in another Campfire forum. You can probably find it if you do a search. The bottom line is that the Hornady Superformance factory ammo offerings use a variety of powder blends, and the Hodgdon Superformance powder gives "Superformance" performance in only a limited number of cartridges. Hodgdon's position appears to be that if they haven't published Superformance load data for a particular cartridge, then the Superformance powder doesn't provide advantages over other Hodgdon powders in that cartridge.

Here's a link to the Hodgdon page, which in turn has a link to the Hodgdon Superformance load data:

Hodgdon page with link to Superformance load data

I know that doesn't answer your specific question, but if someone is getting "Superformance" performance with Superformance powder handloads in a cartridge without Hodgdon load data, those loads probably have excessive pressure (similar to the miraculous velocities some people get from Ackley Improved cartridges). Without reliable pressure-tested load data, you might talk with Hodgdon about 35 Whelen loads with Superformance powder.

L
lhead71 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
L
RR, Thank you. I did speak with Hodgdon about it and they said that Hornady 35 Whelen Superformance Ammo is a special blend that they don't sell to the general public. So I was just wondering if anyone had worked up a load using the stuff they do sell.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Hornady and Hodgdon really irked me with this Superperformance thing. About a year ago, I bought an original Sendero in 7mm Rem Mag. Turns out, it liked Hornady Custom 139 GMX ammo. When I say "liked," I mean one ragged hole, time and time again. Scary accurate.

Well, within months, they did away with the 139 GMX in the Custom line in favor of the Superperformance line. Okay. I resisted the urge to buy 10 cases of the Custom ammo before it was gone, figuring that I'd buy the new reloading manual (advertised to have the Superformance load data in it), and I'd eventually get close. Even though the powder wasn't the same as in the Custom line, surely I'd get something good by loading a bullet that I knew the rifle liked.

Guess what? No load data for the 7mm, 139 GMX, and Superperformance powder in the new Hornady manual -- a book they published largely on the premise that you were getting the late, great Superperformance data. Of course, it wasn't in stores, so it wasn't until I bought it and opened the plastic wrap that I realized there were very, very few calibers that actually had Superperformance data in the manual. I'm not sure of the exact number, but it seemed to me to be only 3-4 calibers. I was shocked to see so few. What a crock.

On top of all this, gun writers editorialized for months that you'd be able to buy Superperformance powder and achieve "factory performance" with your handloads, but the Superperformance powder that you and I can buy isn't even the same blend found in factory loads. I should have known better, but I'm protesting with my dollars. It's the first time that I've ever felt that Hornady wasn't doing right by the consumer, but I shan't forget it soon.

I switched to the Berger VLD. Screw 'em.

Last edited by richardca99; 04/13/11.

Chris
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Irked me also, check out the Hornady book loads using top loads of Superformance powder in the "06 for instance,then stack it up with what you can do with a perrienial favorite powder in the '06, H4350 Hmmmmmmm......

Men ocassionaly stumble over the truth from time to time but, most pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing happened.
- Winston Churchill-

NRA Endowment Life Member
IC B2

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
@BlackDog1 - Yeah the 06 is not one of the 7 cartridges (Hodgdon says Calibers) that the the Superformance line of their powder gets improved performance (Superformance?)

@richardca99 - Now now its no longer Hornady VS Winchester VS Federal. Hornady has to compete with the reloader. They are trying to state that their Superformance line of powder is not only better than the competitions but anything you can roll yourself. That said, they are allowing Hodgdon's to market a blend that covers the most calibers (at only 7). I understand your frustration, trust me I do. We all want that kind of performance with the added benefit of using brass that was last shot from our rifles chamber; an OAL that meets the throat length for our action; with a custom load that matches our environmentals (AZ Summer's vs Alaskan Winter's).

With the variables that define the performance we achieve from our ammunition, it is doubtful that we're even getting the same velocities (performance) from the Superformance line of ammunition Hornady got when they developed the cartridge in the labs. But we are still getting good performance (Superformance?)

Yeah ... could they have come up with a better name?

Berger VLD's with their high BC's and explosive performance on game are an excellent bullet. I wish you the best of luck and happy shootin

Remember, not everyone has a happy ending, so be happy when you can
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I hope you guys realize that naming an ammunition line Superperformance and having a powder of the same name doesn't mean deception was involved any more than multiple people naming their kids William Smith does.

What is a crock is the dictum that you should only use Superperformance powder in the cartridges the "gurus" have specified. It is nothing new for powders to have the best performance in a limited number of cartridges. I have a couple of pounds of Leverrevolution and Superperformance coming and, you can rest assured, that I will try them in cartridges other than what they were meant for.

L
lhead71 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
L
Grum,
That is what I was thinking as well. Every gun is different, as well as bullets from different manufacturers. I would love to see your work ups in some of the calibers "not deemed worthy" of publishing.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by BlackDog1
Irked me also, check out the Hornady book loads using top loads of Superformance powder in the "06 for instance,then stack it up with what you can do with a perrienial favorite powder in the '06, H4350 Hmmmmmmm......

Yes it irked me too

I was looking for 338WM and 450 Marlin.

Maybe some 480 Ruger

but it was not to be

cry

That which does not kill us makes us stronger

Friedrich Nietzsche

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

238 members (1beaver_shooter, 1minute, 1_deuce, 16gage, 204guy, 17CalFan, 35 invisible), 1,866 guests, and 1,040 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,861
Posts18,497,178
Members73,979
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.