Hop To
Page 25 of 27 1 2 23 24 25 26 27
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by JohnBurns
We had gusts to 38 MPH.

It was a rough one but we had a lot of fun.

[Linked Image]

NICE shooting John!

Jeff

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
GB1

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Dang, looked like fun!

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by Cinch
bxroads, I would say after 3 or 4 rounds to adjust his dope with a spotter John shot that group. And yes, that is a consecutive 3 shot group in the wind. With the help of the experienced people and the quality of our equipment, everyone including the beginners were making some great hits at distance in those terrible conditions.

I sure learned a lot on this trip. In those winds I would have never even went out to shoot normally. Between what I learned on this trip and the experience I gained, I now know that I can successfully make long range hits in those conditions. This trip was a great learning experience for all!

Thats exactly been my experiences with the big guns at a mile and beyond. Its hard to read it all, and then you fire, and are close but have to get on... once on you can sometimes hold onto a 3 shot group if you shoot it fast enough. Have never stretched it out past 1800 yards though. But have shot enough at 1600-1800 to know that a first round hit there, takes some work or really good wind conditions.

35 mph winds are not bad, until they get gusty.... thats the killer, if you get sustained winds, its a big hold off and just shoot. But for us here, if its 30plus, its going to typically be gusty.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
rost, the winds were gusty on Sat......i wasnt up there with them but i was listening to it here.....

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Great post & pictures you guys. Some really fine looking rifles also - sure hope to be able to make one of these someday, this stuff is way out of my league but maybe by next time:)

"Rather hunt Mule deer than anything else"
"Team 7MM-08"
IC B2

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by BobinNH
Originally Posted by bxroads
So this Burns guy and his rifles are for real? (grin)

bx John is for real and a great guy to boot....he was good enough to teach me a bit about hitting rocks at 1200 yards;not in Montana but in Wyoming last October....and that takes some doing. smile

I have seen John shoot,and have no doubt about his ability with a rifle grin

Tell us the tips about 1200 yard rocks. I'm interested in everyones theories.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by rost495
Originally Posted by bxroads
So this Burns guy and his rifles are for real? (grin)

bx John is for real and a great guy to boot....he was good enough to teach me a bit about hitting rocks at 1200 yards;not in Montana but in Wyoming last October....and that takes some doing. smile

I have seen John shoot,and have no doubt about his ability with a rifle grin

Tell us the tips about 1200 yard rocks. I'm interested in everyones theories.

Spray and Pray...grins smile

MK
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I know you guys are sorry I couldn't make it, but I had just put a new ivory bead on my 30-30, and the glue wasn't dry yet. Sorry; maybe next time.
Nice shooting, John.

I saw a movie where only the military and the police had guns. It was called Schindler's List.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
1790 yds with your iron-sighted .30-30? You'd have to wait for aircraft to clear before you could shoot or you'd hit one!

Nice shooting John!

Wade

"Let's Roll!" - Todd Beamer 9/11/01.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
jeff: John had the Zeiss RF bins,doped the wind(he and my rancher pal agreed on the vels and IIRC they called it at 10 mph....we were shooting John's 264WM and 140 Berger.

John made all the calculations and scope adjustments and all I did was shoot.Both my friend and I were able to hit once the wind was doped correctly.

I do not recall how many minutes off we held at that distance as I had never before shot that far,nor used that style of scope.But I was astonished just how far off you had to hold to hit.

My impression was that doping the conditions was far more difficult than squeezing the trigger (the easy part).I can understand why many LR shooters work in teams.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
IC B3

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
I like to say I"m prime proof any damn idiot can simply squeeze the trigger.

LR shooters should work in teams... every team I've ever coached, I want continuous dual or more input to the wind... elevation is gravy... its what the wind can do that also even affects elevation thats rough. Once centered you have to be able to see the changes as they occur and either adjust through them or stop and wait for yours to come back. Or shoot really fast.

Been numerous times that we have all seen a weird change and will stop shooting, just have NO clue what that means for sure, and will wait till we see something we think we know what it means before firing again.

My own personal non coaching shooting is a bit different though.. I wont' stop unless I have something happen I have no faith in at all. Rather that I wait some for the conditions to be right and once I start and am centered I pour em down as quick as I can correcting between each shot as needed but not wasting time.

As to holding off, I simply hate shading, and though you have to at times, I alwyas stopped if the shade was worth more than 1-2 moa and would correct it....

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
jeff that scope John markets has the hash marks on the horizontal wires,claculated to the particular load in a 10 mph wind.....we just kept shooting through those conditions and it worked pretty good.

Surprising how that bullet can fly down there,being blown so consistently over great distance, shot after shot,if conditions stay consistent..

Big "if", I know smile

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
What was the weight of Burn's rifle? Was it sub 10 lbs all up as are his rifles that he sells?

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
BX: I'd say so....I mean it was definately portable.....not like a mountain rifle for sure,but if you slung t up you would have no problem transporting it.It was by no means anything ridiculously heavy.I'd say 10 pounds?

Guessing but I would say the barrel seemed like a #4 (?).

But no mistaking it was made to hit stuff at long range, and it did. I think the action was a McMillan.Comfy to shoot as well.....I found new respect for the 264 Win Mag that day grin

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I would say it weighs a little lighter than a Sendero. Barrel is slightly smaller. A packable rifle for sure.

Public landowner...
T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
.I found new respect for the 264 Win Mag that day grin
He he he he. grin

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Cool! Then I'll bet it was the lightest of the long range rigs shooting that day. Awesome hunting rig!

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Not quite....

Luck....is the residue of design...
[Linked Image]
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Do tell. I love the modest weight rigs.

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
My lightweight GAP .308 shot spot on at 618 yards on a steel skunk target(155 scenars at 2950fps). It weighs 7.5 pounds.

We shot my three different .308's and all three shot as well as anything did out to that range(618)...no one will disagree with that. Even out to 830 yards it hung right in there. We had another steel target the size of a kill zone on an elk at 960 yards. It was there you could really see the higher BC bullets out shine the .308...especially in that high wind.

One thing we all agreed on after day one was we would all limit our shots to about 500 meters in a hunting situation with that kind of wind.

Luck....is the residue of design...
[Linked Image]
Page 25 of 27 1 2 23 24 25 26 27

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

580 members (10gaugeman, 10ring1, 1Longbow, 163bc, 1badf350, 06hunter59, 57 invisible), 2,614 guests, and 1,193 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,917
Posts18,498,386
Members73,983
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.