Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Have you ever hurt yourself through carelessness while hunting?

I was on my first elk hunt, solo, and shot a cow. My very first cut into her, I had one hand where it shouldn't have been. Cut myself to the bone. I thought, "Well, this is why I have an emergency kit", as I bled all over my boots and on my elk. I opened the kit up to find I had neglected both bandaides and bandages! I did, however, have TP and duct tape. I had to change it out several times before the day's chores were done. Stupid should always be painful.

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I cut the top of my left hand ring finger while severing a windpipe on a buck. I'm still not sure how it happened, but I've been a damn sight more careful since.

Brushbuster: "Is this thread about the dear heard or there Jeans?"
Plugger: "If you cant be safe at strip club in Detroit at 2am is anywhere safe?"
Deer are somewhere all the time
To report a post you disagree with, please push Alt + F4. Thank You.
L
LBP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
Yep, Tuesday morning I was dragging my dink whitetail (100 lbs) up a steep creek bank and pulled some muscle in my left thigh. I can barely walk right now and the pain won't quit.

This stuff seems to happen more now than it use too... whistle

Will Munny: It's a hell of a thing, killing a man. Take away all he's got and all he's ever gonna have.

The Schofield Kid: Yeah, well, I guess they had it coming.

Will Munny: We all got it coming, kid.
E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
More than once however I am older than most so I am farther ahead. The most noteable were a deep cut to my left hand while cutting the legs off of a young bull on a cold day in Idaho. However I did have my first aid kit, with all the necessary stuff. More recently I packed out a mature bull (not counting the ribs or head) downhill to the truck in three trips. The end result was my "second" hernia repair on both sides. Right as rain now however. I also fell over backwards onto a big buckskin log going uphill in Oregon, layed in the fetal position by the stove for a couple of days (after I got the elk out). I am headed out to SE Idaho after thanksgiving!!!

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
My buddy blew his knee out while elk hunting a few years back. That was a painful three miles back to the truck.

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Condition Yellow
Have you ever hurt yourself through carelessness while hunting?

I was on my first elk hunt, solo, and shot a cow. My very first cut into her, I had one hand where it shouldn't have been. Cut myself to the bone. I thought, "Well, this is why I have an emergency kit", as I bled all over my boots and on my elk. I opened the kit up to find I had neglected both bandaides and bandages! I did, however, have TP and duct tape. I had to change it out several times before the day's chores were done. Stupid should always be painful.

Yep did it in 1988 on a pronghorn hunt....took off the tip of a finger while sharpening a knife.

Liberalism is a mental disorder that leads to social disease.
E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
eh76

How do you put the quote in the neat little box? I have been trying to do that but can't seem to get it right?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
nothing but bumps and bruises but after seeing my left knee hyper extend just stepping up into the pickup bout 7 years ago my wife refuses to let me hunt alone......she just knows ill wind up down in some draw unable to walk and will die of exposure....

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Zipped up my short feller one time

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Borrowed a friends knife to cut the head off a moose. That damn thing was so charp it slipped right thru the mane and bounced off the back of my right hand. I've got a nice scar to look at every day to remind me I'm a dumbass.

"243/85TSX It's as if the HAMMER OF THOR were wielded by CHUCK NORRIS himself, and a roundhouse kick thrown in for good measure."
IC B3

L
LBP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
Originally Posted by Elkmen
eh76

How do you put the quote in the neat little box? I have been trying to do that but can't seem to get it right?

Push the "Quick Quote" button and then type your message in the area below the quoted comment...

Will Munny: It's a hell of a thing, killing a man. Take away all he's got and all he's ever gonna have.

The Schofield Kid: Yeah, well, I guess they had it coming.

Will Munny: We all got it coming, kid.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Elkmen
eh76

In the bottom of the frame where you will read this ...do you see the quote hotkey next to Reply? Left click on it

Liberalism is a mental disorder that leads to social disease.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Walked up on a deer that I thought was dead down a narrow trail with his head away from me. Had shot gun ready just in case, realized he was not dead when I stepped on the twig, seen his head spin around just long enough to roll on his back and wallaby kick me in the BoJangles hard enough to launch me 3-5 ft away....

The deer was down, I was down. It was a race to see who would get to the shotgun first.... After what seemed like five minuites I managed to roll around far enough to gather my shotgun and position myself to a fetal crouch to finish him off....

I peed pink for about a day and a half.....

If 'ya can't put hot sauce on it, it ain't worth eat'n....

jpb Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by gunnut308
Zipped up my short feller one time

You win. cry eek

John

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Turned over a canoe on a trapline a long way from the truck. Temp was about -15, had to smash the ice with my arms to swim to shore and lost one of my boots and mittens. I was able to get a fire started just minutes befor my clothes turned into a block of ice. No physical damage but it made a major change in my life for the better.

erich

After the first shot the rest are just noise.

Make mine a Minaska

Heaven has walls and rules, H-ll has open borders
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
I get a pain when I see someone in my hunting ground.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I had the rung of tree stand ladder break on me once as I was climbing into a stand to bowhunt deer once. It was a nice day to lay on your back and look up at the sky for what seemed like an hour. Young, alone, not a very good idea. The rung that broke was the one in my hands while climbing, I'm still quite happy that I had my bow on a rope and not in my hands and that I didn't land on a stump or worse.

Another event that comes to mind is being very wet and cold and hurrying home on an ATV as a result. There would have been no problem had a tree not gotten in my way. I remember waking up in bed at the cabin and being sore all over, apparently some neighbors had helped me onto my machine and sent me home...can't say as I don't remember. That incident was again in my youth, alone, and not a very good idea.

I can think of several more, most involved MN winter and water, but they where ice fishing/ATV/snowmachine events.

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." TJ

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing". EB

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Knife play in the field is when I silly careful.

Blow out a knee on time in Arizona but still limped my way to a Merriams...

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
Hopped on a coldbacked horse one very cold morning and he threw me off on to the frozen ground. Ended up with some craked ribs, should have walked him around a bit then have some one hold him by the head when I got on. Things always happen when you are in a hurry, in this case a hurry to go nowere. We were not leaving for another 15 minutes.

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Used to use those old widow maker 'Loc on Limb' tree stands years ago. Was about 20 feet up a poplar and trying to draw my bow to shoot a nice fat doe. That dmned stand twisted and dumped me just like a hammock would. The tree I was in was right beside a pretty good sized creek. I hit the creek bank on my back, knocked the wind out of me, and slid down into the creek. Nothing busted but my pride, although I almost drowned before I could sit up and get my head out from under water.

My hunting partner suffered a mild stroke from laughing at me.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

600 members (1100mag, 1badf350, 10gaugeman, 10gaugemag, 160user, 54 invisible), 19,055 guests, and 1,351 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,976
Posts18,539,951
Members74,052
Most Online20,969
13 seconds ago

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.