Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I've had 2, one synthetic SS, one blue wood.

Both long gone.

Replaced with, CZ American, Rem 799 and a Stevens 200. All 3 more accurate with less fuss.

HR IC

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Thanks, guess I'll leave it alone. It's a good rifle but at 8 lbs 5 oz with a 2.5-8 scope it seems heavy for a 223 sporter. I'd like to take some weight off of it but so far can't find anyone that makes a ltwt. stock for these.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by 43Shooter
Thanks, guess I'll leave it alone. It's a good rifle but at 8 lbs 5 oz with a 2.5-8 scope it seems heavy for a 223 sporter. I'd like to take some weight off of it but so far can't find anyone that makes a ltwt. stock for these.

I think Bansner makes a lightweight stock for Ruger rifles.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Thanks for the info. Just checked their website and it indicates they've got them for a long action Ruger, 23 oz. I'll call them tomorrow and find out if they can do the short action.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by TERRY8mm
I've had 2, one synthetic SS, one blue wood.

Both long gone.

Replaced with, CZ American, Rem 799 and a Stevens 200. All 3 more accurate with less fuss.

I wouldn't trade mine for the world. OOPS!!! I just traded my 223 hawkey off to my long time friend. He used to take me out hunting with him when I was 10 years old (he was 14) so I guess I owed it to him grin. I've always wanted a target/varmint model and he really wanted my Hawkeye so we traded. Still trying to figure out who got the short end of the stick.... grin As far as accuracy goes, these are top contenders (sub moa) and very consistent with some work that is....My friend that now has my hawkeye is replacing his stevens 200 with it... whistle

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Bansner says no stocks for short action Rugers.

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
If you have the wood version, you can drill out the butt and put a flip-flop pad on it--it will totally change the balance and feel. As to weight, on the two Rugers I had, the synthetic weighed about 8 ounces less than the wood. A nice change is to find an Ultralight wood stock to swap in if you like more svelte lines.

The Hawkeye is a 9 twist, so should do pretty well with deer bullets.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Thanks for the ideas. If I do anything I'll probably try drilling it out. I was considering that but it doesn't seem like I'd lose more than an ounce or two. Won't hurt to try though.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by shortactionsmoker
I've been considering another 223 as well. I found a NIB Ruger Hawkeye SS Ultralight that needs to become part of my 223 family. I guess I'll be forced to bring it home....

Went ahead and bought it today. Got it home and started measuring. Magazine length is 3.050". Got some room to the lands too. Looks like I'll be able to load some longer, heavier bullets where they need to be. Probably going to scope it with a Leupold Ultralight 3-9 or a VXII 2-7. I'll weigh it once it's scoped up. It's going to get a trigger job from lastround first. Can't wait to send some down the tube!

I enjoy handguns and I really like shotguns,...but I love rifles!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I found a Hawkeye in 22-250 with a 3-9x40 vxi for $550, excellent shape. Waiting for it to warm up a bit up here so I can see what it will do. Only had it out once, first trial load put 5 shots right at an inch, so it shows potential.

IC B3

rifle Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Well,we went to the range today...it was good and bad..
I put together some rounds with Benchmark and very disappointed,1"-1.5" groups,then I tried a factory box of Remington 55gr CL and it did .5...This was at 100 yards with a 15x Weaver,which I don't care for,eye releif is not good for me. Also found the forearm needs floating,touches too hard at the tip.
Oh well,that's what makes this fun!!

Come on America,
Athletes and actors are not heroes, only soldiers, airmen,marines and sailors get that respect�and let's add firemen and LEO's

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by rifle
I put together some rounds with Benchmark and very disappointed,1"-1.5" groups,then I tried a factory box of Remington 55gr CL and it did .5...This was at 100 yards with a 15x Weaver,which I don't care for,eye releif is not good for me. Also found the forearm needs floating,touches too hard at the tip.

I don't even bother taking rifles to the range until after they are floated - Ruger, Remington, whatever. Never had to bed a Ruger to get it to shoot.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B

That should tell you something about your handloads....back to the drawing board. You should be duplicating or even surpassing factory load accuracy....

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
rifle Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
About a year ago,I bought RL15,Varget and the Benchmak.The first two work great in everything I tried,but BM is out for me...
Been handloading way too long for that kind of crap..
Also had the 6.5 Creedmoor out,it's smoking with everything going down the tube...Thanks JB!

Come on America,
Athletes and actors are not heroes, only soldiers, airmen,marines and sailors get that respect�and let's add firemen and LEO's

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
About a year ago,I bought RL15,Varget and the Benchmak.The first two work great in everything I tried,but BM is out for me...
Been handloading way too long for that kind of crap..
Also had the 6.5 Creedmoor out,it's smoking with everything going down the tube...Thanks JB!

Smart decision. If it doesn't cooperate then it goes down the road for me too. Rifle, powder, bullet, whatever the problem is it needs to be removed from the equation. However, generally I can get the ol 223 to shoot with just about any kind of powder that is meant for that cartridge. I do notice that it is finicky about powder charge weight and sometimes even 1/2 a grain in the little case makes a big difference. You could keep the factory pressure point in the stock and mess around with your loads and see if you can duplicate the factory loadings accuracy. Nothing wrong with .5" groups in my book. Especially from a non bedded rifle...Looks like you've got a keeper to me...

BSA MAGA
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Originally Posted by deflave
When in doubt, buy.

Travis

So THAT'S where all my money goes... was wondering...

If you're fixin' to put a hole in something,
make it a hole to remember.
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Benchmark seems to work best with 50 grainers on down.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Benchmark at 25.5 gr. with 50 gr. Nosler BT and WSR primer is a .50'er at 100 yds. That is pretty much max in my Ruger SS All Weather Mk II. Of course, it has 1 in 12" twist. That makes a difference. Velocity a little over 3300 fps. Never had a 9" twist. Varget is accurate too, but slow. (3150 fps). I think DakotaDeer is right about BM liking lighter bullets. Mine likes BM and the 40 gr. Nosler Varmageddon about as well.

Last edited by lastround; 03/29/12.

If we live long enough, we all have regrets. But the ones that nag at us the most are the ones in which we know we had a choice.

Doug
rifle Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I will be looking at 60-69 grain,once I swap out the scope,this will be a walking Varmint/Deer rifle,Getting a lot of 'yotes on my deer lease.

Come on America,

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Do any know if the old 77 aluminum floor plate assembly will fit the Hawkeye. The one on the .223 Hawkeye I have is a toad. The weight of Ruger rings also does not do it any favors. Heavy rifle in proportion to its size.

Mine shoots well enough for Deer and especially likes the 55gr TSX. Just under and over an inch at 100 is pretty much the norm. However it needed free floated to get there.

[Linked Image]

Last edited by battue; 03/30/12.

laissez les bons temps rouler
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

534 members (1minute, 10Glocks, 2500HD, 1moredeer, 204guy, 1badf350, 53 invisible), 1,853 guests, and 1,052 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,893
Posts18,497,991
Members73,980
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.