Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 14 of 63 1 2 12 13 14 15 16 62 63
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
I guess I'll just state the obvious and say you have discovered an incredible find. Thanks for sharing.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by krp
Archaeological Resources Protection Act of 1979

16 U.S.C. 470ee,

Prohibited acts and criminal penalties

Section 6

16 U.S.C. 470 ee(a),

Unauthorized excavation, removal, damage, alternation, or defacement of archaeological resources

(a) No person may excavate, remove, damage, or otherwise alter or deface or attempt to excavate, remove, damage, or otherwise alter or deface any archaeological resource located on public lands or Indian lands unless such activity is pursuant to a permit issued under section 4 of this Act, a permit referred to in section 4(h)(2) of this Act, or the exemption contained in section 4(g)(1) of this Act.

16 U.S.C. 470ee(b),

Trafficking in archaeological resources: Federal law

(b) No person may sell, purchase, exchange, transport, receive, or offer to sell, purchase, or exchange any archaeological resource if such resource was excavated or removed from public lands or Indian lands in violation of-

(1) the prohibition contained in subsection (a) of this section, or

(2) any provision, rule, regulation, ordinance, or permit in effect under any other provision of Federal law.

16 U.S.C. 470ee(c),

Trafficking in illegal interstate or foreign commerce in archaeological resources: State or local law

(c) No person may sell, purchase, exchange, transport, receive, or offer to sell, purchase, or exchange, in interstate of foreign commerce, any archaeological resource excavated, removed, sold, purchased, exchanged, transported, or received in violation of any provision, rule, regulation, ordinance, or permit in effect under State or local law.

16 U.S.C. 470ee(d),

Penalties

(d) Any person who knowingly violates, or counsels, procures, solicits, or employs any other person to violate, any prohibition contained in subsection (a), (b), or (c) of this section shall, upon conviction, be fined not more than $10,000 or imprisoned not more than one year, or both: Provided, however, That if the commercial or archaeological value of the archaeological resources involved and the cost of restoration and repair of such resources exceeds the sum of $500, such person shall be fined not more than $20,000 or imprisoned not more than two years, or both. In the case of a second or subsequent such violation upon conviction such person shall be fined not more than $100,000, or imprisoned not more than five years, or both.

16 U.S.C. 470ee(e),

Effective date

(e) The prohibitions contained in this section shall take effect on October 31, 1979 [the date of the enactment of this Act].

16 U.S.C. 470ee(f),

Prospective application

(f) Nothing in subsection (b)(1) of this section shall be deemed applicable to any person with respect to any archaeological resource which was in the lawful possession of such person prior to October 31, 1979.

16 U.S.C. 470ee(g),

Removal of arrowheads located on ground surface

(g) Nothing in subsection (d) of this section shall be deemed applicable to any person with respect to the removal of arrowheads located on the surface of the ground.

I whipped that one a USFS leo, a corps of Engineers guy, a TVA rent-a-cop and they flat out told me i would be arrested, fined, etc. So, I just quit even trying on shorelines and govt.

I don't know wtf anymore.

I carried that whole thing printed off in my back pocket for years. To no avail.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Those are some real beauties guys. Thanks for posting!

Turn me loose, set me free, somewhere in the middle of Montana!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Slumlord:
Looks like a rich site there and a great spot to spend family time.

1Minute
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by 1minute
Slumlord:
Looks like a rich site there and a great spot to spend family time.
it's good exercise.....walking for 6 or 7 hours without sitting down. Either that or Im just gettin old.

big group of us hunt it, with some wives, daughters and grandmas too. Good times, good dose of vitamin D too

IC B2

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I enjoy looking too. I have several spots in the county that I visit as soon as the ground is broke and we have a good rain. It's been really wet this year....no recreational tillage and very little spraying.

I'll hit the fields soon.

I enjoy handguns and I really like shotguns,...but I love rifles!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
For all the people that know nothing about archaeological remains- Piecing together pre-history is all about context. The only way to evaluate remains effectively is if they are in tact. Looting and pillaging over the years messes up the context. In a place like the Great Basin lithic evidence is some of the only artifacts remaining, along with fire cracked rock, petropglyphs and rare perishable sites. It is much easier for archaeologists to figure out the potential significance of a site is if it is in tact.

The only cure for life and death is to enjoy the interval.
George Santayana
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
ppine:
I agree that raiding of well preserved sites should be avoided. Picking over a well mixed and manipulated plow layer on private ag lands should be fine. Context was long ago destroyed. If I were to make a guess, I suspect that less than 20% of our artifacts have been disturbed.

Color me jealous,

Last edited by 1minute; 05/08/13.

1Minute
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Having boxes of arrow heads in the storage room of the museum would seem to do less for the spread of information than having them in private hands and on display. Everytime someone sees the privately held artifacts there is a discussion and exchange of information. Artifacts in museum warehouses might as well still be buried.

"I call that bold talk for a one-eyed fat man." --Robert Duvall.
"Fill your hand, you son-of-a-bitch!" --John Wayne.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by ppine
For all the people that know nothing about archaeological remains- Piecing together pre-history is all about context. The only way to evaluate remains effectively is if they are in tact. Looting and pillaging over the years messes up the context. In a place like the Great Basin lithic evidence is some of the only artifacts remaining, along with fire cracked rock, petropglyphs and rare perishable sites. It is much easier for archaeologists to figure out the potential significance of a site is if it is in tact.
well.... modern farming operations and manifest destiny have pretty much upheaved the stratigraphy of soil horizons. Not every casual flint hound is a 'grave-digger'

few archaelogical academics would have jack [bleep] to go on or govt grant tits to milk if it werent for some weekend enthusiast or a bridge project to alert them to the presence of debitage. Fat chance of that much anymore today. Most savvy people and project mgrs keep a tight lid on word getting out.

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
pics coming soon from yesterday 3 hour walk

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by slumlord

So, you've been out [bleep] up the archaeological remains AGAIN!!! mad

FJB & FJT
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Post the pics, tomb-raider. cool

--- CAUGHT IN THE CROSSFIRE --- A Magic Time To Be An Illegal In America---
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
[Linked Image]

K
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Originally Posted by Raeford
Originally Posted by slumlord

So, you've been out [bleep] up the archaeological remains AGAIN!!! mad

Like I tell the young son! Grave robbing with a pedigree!! And he agrees! LOL!

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Ravenr2
[Linked Image]

How'd you find THAT in all that snow? grin

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
yesterday after work- had about 3 hours of afternoon light to walk the furrows. Not my favorite, oblique illumination and mosquitoes. Anyway, not 10minutes in the field, bam!!!

[Linked Image] [/quote]

blade tool

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

and here's everything else I picked up yesterday after I took a toothbrush to it , lots of inc tools, broken stuff, odds/ends. My sack was gettin heavy.

[Linked Image]

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Huntsman22
searching rims to put in a few bobcat traps
snow burned back from rock face about 2 ft.
and there it lay.
Bragged, I found a arrowhead in 6" of snow, in fact!

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I'll go ahead post up all have picked up since April of this year. Some I ain't yet scrubbed.

last weekend: not such good luck, actually sucked but found a few blunts, many breaks:
[Linked Image]

this pic is kind of a 'best of' assemblage from 2 weeks ago and some early April:

[Linked Image]

heres a 3 gallon bucket from the start of this spring of halves,tips,bases,tools, etc.....I will sit down one day, there's actually some whole points in there and blunts, nice unifaces too, just need to scrub it all see what I got. I don't "ooooh and ahhh" out in the field, ain't got time, lol I want to go through it and see of there's any really old stuff in there:

[Linked Image]

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Very Nice Slumlord
You got a hot spot!

Page 14 of 63 1 2 12 13 14 15 16 62 63

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

568 members (10gaugeman, 10Glocks, 1badf350, 12344mag, 160user, 1936M71, 58 invisible), 2,628 guests, and 1,226 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,931
Posts18,498,686
Members73,983
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.