-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I noticed that the Lee Pacesetter dies include the factory crimp and a shell holder. Lee claims the factory crimp die will greatly improve accuracy (opposed to a roll crimp) and build pressure without having the bullet closer to the lands and grooves. What brand of dies do you regular reloaders insist on. Are Lee dies considered "upper tier" dies? RCBS? I read that I should always match the brand of the shell holder with the brand of the die. Is this true? For all those that have answered my many questions- THANKS! I do not know anyone that reloads, and I want to get geared up soon.

Faith and love of others knows no mileage nor bounds. That's simply the way it is.
dogzapper

After the game is over, the king and the pawn go into the same box.
Italian Proverb

GB1

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
An upper tier die would be something like the RCBS competition die with micrometer bullet seating. That one die is about $65.00.

The Lee dies work fine. They lock and hold position, so they are good to leave set up for a bullet in something like a progressive plate or a Hornady Lock-n-Load. Lee makes an upgrade set with a neck sizing die for a few dollars more, if you are loading for one bolt action rifle.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I was just on the Redding site. They have many 3 die sets which include a FL die and a neck sizer die. The set seems like a good option. Any issues with Redding? Higher quality than Lee I assume.

Faith and love of others knows no mileage nor bounds. That's simply the way it is.
dogzapper

Italian Proverb

A
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
A
I ain't no expert but I have dies from Lee, RCBS, Hornady, Forster, Redding,and Herters. I have done quite well with the Lee dies. they all have there +/-'s. I some times wonder why i pay so much for some of the competition dies that i buy, but confidence sometimes comes with a $ amount. I have a .260 that i use as a target rifle that shot its best groups using the Lee pacesetter dies(.537 outside to ouside ). I now use the redding competition dies and the same rifle shots more consitent but the groups are really not any better.

Some frown on the lee dies but they get the job done.
The redding dies i use are the bushing competition type. i like them because they allow me to size the .243, 25/08, .260, by just changing the bushings in the sizing die. i use a forster competition seater die for the above and just change the seater stem.

IMHO unless you are shooting competition there is no need to use higher priced dies unless you just like them for some reason.

jme
arky65

There is a war on America and America is losing
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Thanks arky65. All my relaoding will be for hunting rifles.

dogzapper

Italian Proverb

IC B2

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
Make mine Lee! I have tried the others and for value and quality I choose Lee. I really did not like RCBS dies. I like all there other equipment though.

Good Shooting!
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Most of the dies I own are Lee. There really isn't any magic in making a die...

That said, Lee dies do sometimes often come with a very small burr where the neck joins the shoulder. This has the effect of giving a matte finish to the neck. If you get one of those, it is very easily polished out.

Be not weary in well doing.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The "best" die is the one whose configuration most closely conforms or matches the chamber in YOUR rifle and that could be any of them. Lee is on the bottom rung of the ladder for me though I still have a couple of them. I've had best luck in matching chambers with Redding most consistently and their exterior finish is superb and for those reasons they seem to be the premier die, along with Forster. There's been much controversy over the business of crimping a neck to a bullet without a crimping groove. It's shunned in benchrest circles where accuracy is much more important than in hunting and certainly not on bullets without the groove.

Used to be bobski, member since '01
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have dies from Lee, RCBS, Hornady, Lyman, and Redding. The Lee dies work fine. I have had them for many years and have loaded several thousand rounds using them. However, as tools they are of a bit lighter material and are cheaper looking than the others. They seem to rust more readily. As I've said though, they work fine. I haven't been able to wear them out. If price was an issue, like it was when I bought the ones I have, I would not hesitate to buy them again. But, if I had the money, I'd go with Redding or RCBS.

"You cannot miss fast enough to win."-- Ross Seyfried
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The Factory crimp die does work as claimed.AR did a test,using standard type loads not "pet loads",they found an 10% accuracy improvement.I found it handy when working with one load for a number of rifles,seating depth was removed from the list of variables.In my test,I shortened the OAL by 0.100" and the group opened up, from 3/4" to 7/8",gee.

You can hunt longer with wind at your back
IC B3

S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
Most of my dies are RCBS...and I too think that shellholders should match. Of all the dies I've used, a set of Durachromes (long discontinued) by Pacific for the 7 TC/U had the nicest machining and finish. I have a couple of Lyman sets...the plating looks kind of cheesy but they load 6.5 Swede and .45-70 OK. When I first started reloading in a tiny apartment over 35 years ago, I was grateful for the cheap Lee 'hammer 'em' dies in a box. Loaded lots of .35 Rem and 6mm Rem in those, as well as .357 and .45 ACP. I haven't used any of the recent Lees...was kind of turned off by the cheesiness of their loading presses compared to my hunka Rockchucker. I'm sure they are adequate, though, because many of my friends use and swear by Lee, as I do RCBS. A lot depends I guess on WHEN you started loading, and WHEN you bought your equipment, as quality of all this gear has varied over time.

The Wise said: "This cannot be done". The Fool came, and did it.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I have Lee and hornady dies. The only disadvantage of Lee is that they are a little too short, which may be a problem for certain setups.For example, I had a hard time putting them into LnL bushings which I use all the time, but once I turned over lock rings, that problem went away. For the price I think you can't beat Lee, and everything you need to reload comes in one package, and I like not having to buy separate shellholders. That is plain silly that others don't include a $5 shellholder with a $50 die set.
I never had scratches, stuck cases or any feeding problems with Lee dies, and I reload 2 rifle and 3 pistol calibers.
-P

D
djs Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Most of my dies are RCBS, but I also load with Lyman dies in 308 and 358. Both are top notch dies.

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
I have had bad luck with Lee. I own two sets. My 223AI seater die won't stay conistent, the seater floats, but mine binds up which changes the seating depth. Lee told me to mail it back and they would look at it. I bought a Redding instead and never looked back.

My 7-08 Lee dies suck too. The resizer leaves a scratch all the way around the shoulder. And the seater leavers a scratch all the way around the bullet ogive. I looked in the dies with a flashlight and they are very rough inside.

I won't buy anymore Lee, make mine RCBS or Redding.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Redding, Forster, Dillon and RCBS.Rick.

E
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
I've always used RCBS dies, but, about ten years ago, I switched to Lee dies. I do prefer the RCBS system for partial sizing ammo for my .25-284 however.
Currently, I'm loading both my .308's, my .280 and my handgun rds. like .45 ACP, 10mm and .357 Magnum with them.
I've never had a problem with them. I shot one group from prone that went .3 MOA at 300 yds. in one .308, another group that went .167 MOA @ 100 yds. in the other, a couple of groups in the .2 MOA range with my .280, etc. If they lack anything, I haven't noticed it.
I really like their Collet Dies for neck sizing. Fast, simple and produces ammo I can't fault.
I also use their case trimming set up. I had them make a custom case lenth gauge for my .25-284. Their service was fast, cheap, and the gauge was exactly what I ordered.
I admit to not being a real looney bench shooter. I shoot over a couple of sand bags and a block of wood w/o any fancy rifle rests. But, with these dies, my rifles do give me the kind of consistancy I insist on. E

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
For the money, lee makes a very good die, and I've used them in many calibers and configurations.

That said I've been using Redding as my die of choice as of late, and wished I'd started with them sooner.

I have severa sets of RCBS dies, they work well enough, but aren't nearly the die Redding's are.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

340 members (257 mag, 160user, 12344mag, 2500HD, 1lessdog, 01Foreman400, 35 invisible), 1,444 guests, and 1,000 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,866
Posts18,497,379
Members73,980
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.