Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Dave, T Lee, et al:
<br>
<br>I thought that I would try to simplify the rules, but after reading them over I found very little that was not pertinent. I changed a few words and deleted the kill zone for different animals section, since this seems to be boiling down to a learning and target experience as opposed to whether someone can actually shoot a whatever at x range.
<br>
<br>I also think we should have a simplified explanation at the start for those who's eyes cross when they get to the number 2 in a rules list.
<br>
<br>After thinking about it, I also decided that it was a needless complication to shrink the target size for .22 shooters. They and the judges will know if they shot well or not.
<br>
<br>IT WOULD BE HELPFUL IF WE COULD COME UP WITH SOME CATCHY NAME, but otherwise the hunter's challenge match sounds as good as any to me. All suggestions will be considered unless they are obscene.
<br>
<br>At any rate, subject to any suggestions, modifications, etc here is what I propose for the next match. As you will note, much of it is a repeat of the prior rules.
<br>
<br>Proposed rules(and introduction):
<br>
<br>This Hunter's Challenge Match is meant to explore whether you are as competent as a hunter/shooter as you believe you are. It is not hard and shouldn't take long. Several of us have tried it, found it to be fun, and hope that others will participate this time......here are the rules. They are fairly self explanatory but we will try to explain them further if questions arise. Just as an example, one of the shooters intends to shoot his .308 out of a typical Texas deer stand at 400, 300 and 200 yards, using the window ledge as a rest.
<br>
<br>RULES FOR
<br>THE HUNTER'S CHALLENGE MATCH
<br>
<br>Summation, subject to the following official rules: This Match is designed for you as a hunter to explore your and your equipment's limitations when you are in actual field conditions. Pick a maximum yardage(or meters) that you would attempt to shoot a game animal and that becomes your longest distance. Using any normal postion, rest, bipod or whatever that you would use in your hunting, shoot 3 shots at a target(s) at each of three distances, you maximum distance that you feel comfortable at with that weapon, 75% of that max and 50% of that max. (see more detailed target description in rule 7 below) Note: You can and probably should start with you closest(50%) distance first. Score target(s), submit with relevant information(see 4, 7,and 10 below). That's it, simple and fun and you almost certainly will learn something about your maximum hunting range.
<br>
<br>OFFICIAL RULES:
<br>
<br>1. HONOR system and if there's a witness they sign off if they want.
<br>
<br>2. The longest shooting distance is that which the hunter believes is the maximum range that he would feel comfortable shooting a game animal using what he normally hunts with. For instance, if someone hunts with a lever action, open sighted .30-30 and feels that his longest comfortable shot would be 150 yards then that would be his maximum shooting distance. A long range hunter might feel comfortable at 1000 yards or beyond and that would be his maximum shooting distance. A key concept here is the word "honor", it would not be sporting to say 150 yards is your maximum and then drag out your varmint rig and a bench and shoot it.
<br>
<br>3. 3 targets, or one target at all 3 ranges, 3 shots at each range, 10 minutes max to fire 3 shots at the target, time started on report of first shot for score. The target(s) may be shot in any order. The target(s) will be placed at 50% of your specified max, 75% and 100%. For instance, if your personal maximum comfort range is 400 yards, then the target(s) would be at 200(50%), 300 (75%), and 400 (100%).
<br>
<br>4. Target(s) must contain, shooters name (handle), witness's signature (optional), distance, caliber/type, environmentals (elevation, wind, temp, etc) if known, come-up data/clicks if applicable and any other interesting observations that others might enjoy.
<br>
<br>5. Shooting position is any normal hunter position, our "field" positions vary a great deal so state it on the target/post. Ultra Long Range (ULR) often shoot from tripods and benches, Long Range (LR) shooters often use bipods and sand bags, it's fields positions that the hunter generally uses so all things are acceptable. Crossed sticks, tree stand, bipod, you name it and if you normally use it it's fine. In short, if it is any shooting position that you might assume in your hunting activities for a long shot, with or without support, tree to prop against, shooting sticks, whatever, it is permissible. If you don't normally hunt off of a benchrest, then it is not permissible. While sticks might be useful for most of us, if you don't normally hunt with them, then it is not in the spirit of the event to use them. If you normally hunt with a bipod on your rifle, by all means use it.
<br>
<br>6. NO STALKING THE TARGET, don't label the target 900 yards then stalk to 100 and shoot it. Shooters can try as many times as they want for their best result, but they can not "mix and match", that is the result submitted for score must be from one 3 target sequence. Shooters are encouraged to use different guns, or a gun and archery equipment, and, of course, different ranges for each one if necessary.
<br>
<br>7. Target can be any size, but unless it is at least 24 inches x 24 inches then you might be losing some points. Take your target, whether it is a 24 x24 piece of cardboard or a deer outline or whatever, find the center point, and, if you desire, and if there isn't one, place a "bullseye", poke a pinpoint hole there or whatever for reference purposes. Then if the inside edge of your bullet hole is 2 inches or less from that center point it is an "X" counting 10 points, more than 2 inches but not more than 4 inches from the center, a "10", more than 4 but not more than 5, a "9", more than 5 but not more than 6, and "8", more than 6 but not more than 7 a "7", more than 7 but not more than 8, a "6" and anything else with in a 24 inch sq of the center point is a "5". The centerpoint is fixed BEFORE shooting, not after. Maximum score is 90, 9X. Shooters will score their target, enter the score on the target next to the other required/desired information.
<br>
<br>Note: We put the somewhat complicated target description above in for shooters who wanted to use a deer outline target or something other than a bullseye, which is perfectly acceptable, but your scoring area regardless of what is actually used as a target, is a 2 foot by 2 foot square with its center as your aiming point with a 4 inch diameter circle(the X, counts 10) in the center of that square, with an 8 inch diameter circle around it(counts 10)with a 10 inch diameter cirlcle around it(counts 9), than a 12 inch circle(counts 8) then a 14 inch(counts 7) then a 16 inch(counts 6) and any other hits in the 2 foot square count 5. Just as in most target scoring, if you bullet touches the next higher line then it receives that score. Again, maximum score is 90, 9X.
<br>
<br>8. Open to all single projectile hunting implements, rifles, shotgun(slugs), muzzle loaders, handguns, archery, spears and throwing knives. All classes must comply with all other rules.
<br>
<br>9. This rule is for Long Range hunters who normally use sighters. One sighter for 500 to 1000 yard's, 2 sighters for 1000 to 1500 and 3 sighters for anyone shooting from 1500 to wherever. If the shooter normally shoots with no sighter then it's no sighters, it the shooter normally uses sighter then this stated limit applies. No additional sighters once the first round is fired on the selected target. Each target may be allowed sighters for those who shoot sighters.
<br>
<br>10. Target submission. Targets may be mailed in for submission to David L. King 24234 Preakness Dr. Damascus, MD 20872. For folks shooting targets too bulky to submit a digital photo may be submitted or a paper tracing of the target may be submitted. Dave has a place on the internet to display the submitted targets, scores and other information. If the shooter prefers that his targets not be displayed that wish will be accomodated. Unless specifically requested otherwise we will post all targets received. We would love to have other countries shooter's participate(Europeans, South Africans, Canadians, anyone is welcome) and if mailing is a problem they can submit a score via email, preferably with a photo of target(s) attached. This is mostly a fun contest, if it becomes more serious with valuable prizes then we might require a bit more documentation.
<br>
<br>11. Deadline for submission is Midnight (2400hours local) 15 November, 2002. Entries must be postmarked by that date to be counted. THERE WILL BE NO EXTENSIONS.
<br>
<br>13. If we get enough shooter participation to merit it, there will be some prizes awarded based on some loose interpretation of who did what best. The structure of the contest is such that anything from an arrow to a 22LR to a .600 Nitro Express might be employed so we are not going to award prizes just on scores alone, although they will be a major consideration.
<br>
<br>END RULES:
<br>
<br>
<br>

"When we put [our enlisted men and women] in harm's way, it had better count for something. It can't be because some policy wonk back here has a brain fart of an idea of a strategy that isn't thought out." General Zinni on Iraq

GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Oh Boy, Oh Boy, Oh Boy! I get to try again. Think I will drag out the '06 and really make a fool of my self this time.
<br>
<br>Gonna do the lever gun and .22's also. Won't use the shorty though, gonna get out the WINCHESTER, Y'all better look out! I love this, c'mon guy's quite talking the talk and walk the walk. It's FUN! Nobody is gonna pick on ya, though some may chuckle a bit, like at me!

George Orwell was a Prophet, not a novelist. Read 1984 and then look around you!

Old cat turd!

"Some men just need killing." ~ Clay Allison.

I am too old to fight but I can still pull a trigger. ~ Me

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I've been thinking and, until I hear differernt from D King, I am going to change the ending date of the above contest #2 to 15 Nov, 2002. That gives everyone about as much time as we can manage before the holiday season is in full swing and, if we get any participation, we can then decide when the next one will end.
<br>
<br>All opposed, speak up.

"When we put [our enlisted men and women] in harm's way, it had better count for something. It can't be because some policy wonk back here has a brain fart of an idea of a strategy that isn't thought out." General Zinni on Iraq

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
IIFID,cool,I will be getting all my gun's reddy for hunting season soon.Count me in for sure this time

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Works for me, motion made and seconded, all in favor, say AYE. Opposed, NAY.

Last edited by T LEE; 10/02/02.

George Orwell was a Prophet, not a novelist. Read 1984 and then look around you!

Old cat turd!

"Some men just need killing." ~ Clay Allison.

I am too old to fight but I can still pull a trigger. ~ Me

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
AYE:)

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
IIFID
<br>
<br> Great idea, let's do it that way...
<br>
<br> (One question. Is the end at 0001 15 Nov 2002 or 2400 15 Nov 2002? Those pesky rules committies gotta know!) [Linked Image]
<br>
<br> I'll update the web site with the newest version of the rules diiirectly.
<br>
<br> (T Lee sounds a little excited, I think he likes this stuff. We'll need to start therapy sessions soon.)
<br>
<br> Boyd....Do it this weekend... if you're like me you'll get too busy shooting to shoot this event.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I'll try for this week end.Got a match next weekend.Last one of the year.........

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Geesh, half of the rules committee is sure technical. Let's be the same as the IRS and accept any entry postmarked up until 2400 hours 15 Nov 2002.

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
PS thought I was going to shoot the King's .223 challenge again today, but we have a hurricane working down off the coast and it kept it pretty breezy all day.
<br>
<br>Like Satchell Paige said, don't look back, I might be gaining on you......

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
PPS if no one has any objections or suggestions for modifications to the Rules as published, I will post them on the campfire tomorrow and probably in Big Game as well.
<br>
<br>We'll try to get some interest on AR but I dunno how it will work.
<br>
<br>BTW this is not in any way a "members" only game, everyone on any board is welcome to play as far as I am concerned(even Long Range hunters [Linked Image], that's a joke, guys)and if anyone wants to post the rules in some "foreign" forum that is so much the better. When you say 24hr and AR you pretty well cover my normal posting grounds so someone else should probably try it somewhere else.
<br>
<br>You know, this "contest" is fun, it is simple, and it is self educational. I really don't see why more people won't shoot it.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Contest names...
<br>
<br>Just off the top.....
<br>
<br>The A.Y.R. "air" Challenge... ( Are you ready )
<br>
<br>The K.Y.L.E " like the name "Kyle" Challenge ( Know your limits, expert )
<br>
<br>The K.Y.W.E. "Kiwi" Challenge ( Know your weapon , expert)
<br>
<br>The H.U.R.L. " Challenge.. ( Hunters Understanding Rifle Distances )
<br>
<br>The H.U.R.B. Challenge ( Hunters Understanding Rifle Ballistics )
<br>
<br>Just a few Ideas.. it's early so maybe someone can take it from here......

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
WW:
<br>
<br>It was so early that I missed those wooonderful suggestions, so I posted it under Hunter's Challenge....LOL.
<br>
<br>I have posted the rules and an invitation to shoot in 3 places on 24hr(4 if you count here) and 2 on AR and that is about as far as my internet ramblings extend. If anyone else would like to promote the contest on other sites by posting the rules or copying one of my posts, please do so.
<br>
<br>Good shooting to all, particularly me......look out King, I'm still dragging that .223 grudge around. First clean score in the .223 Challenge gets the beer bought for him.......[Linked Image]

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Beer, uuuummmm good
<br>
<br>Got your targets today, I'll post them soon.
<br>
<br>

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
You're just lucky it was blowing a hurricane today, literally. [Linked Image]......buuuuurp. Ahhhhhh. I'll have another, thank you.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The new web page is setup, check it over and reference it if you like.
<br>
<br>I drink Miller Lite (Texas Special version is fine).
<br>
<br>http://www.the-king-family.com/UserPages/DaveKing/Hunters_Challenge2.html
<br>
<br>
<br>
<br>

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

235 members (1_deuce, 338reddog, 219 Wasp, 30Gibbs, 10ring1, 29aholic, 24 invisible), 1,689 guests, and 1,122 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,205
Posts18,524,227
Members74,030
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.