Home
Really sad I could not make it this year. For the people who could are there any big news/ Anything new from S&B Scopes
I heard something and saw an ad for the new WBY Vanguard.

Same action, new trigger, new stock, three position safety, and a sub moa guarantee. Supposed to retail for under $500.

Bill
Check The Outdoor Wire's Daily SHOT report...jim
stainless is an option in the vanguads again aswell.
Very little new on the reloading scene. Most companies are reluctant to spend a lot of R&D money in this economy.
Agreed,
Ain't nothin worth talkin about. My money is staying in my pocket. Hell, ya can't even find a decent supply of brass or bullets no more and the prices are insane.

I ain't paying a dollar or more fer every bullet I shoot nor am I gonna pay a dollar or more per cartridge case fer brass. Also, powder is going up and primers will likely follow. I have enough ammo to hunt with but not enough to practice with.

Lastly, even if'n I wanted ta pay these insane prices, there ain't no product variety out there ta buy and everyone is making Yuppie bullets with no lead in them and selling them in boxes of 20,25,and 50. Hardly any boxes of 100 are even being made thanks to the folks at Nosler & Barnes.

Bottom line: No Ammo = NO NEW FIREARMS PURCHASES.

Flower Child
Huh? Sierra, Hornady, etc. etc. still make planty of 100 ct boxes.

Things in Virginia must be high, a dollar a bullet? Wow. Brass a dollar a piece for standard calibers? Wow. It cost less than half that here. You can buy 100 ct boxes of cup and cores here all day for $20-$25. Even the "yuppie" bullets only run $60-$65 a hundred (two 50ct boxes).

Winchester has an interesting monolithic bullet... Designed they say to open to maximum frontal area and stay in deer. A 150gr 30-06 penetrated 14" in a 20% gelatin block and opened a lot like an X... But not quite... Pics soon.

Winchester also has a new shot "Blind Side" which is cubic, stacks perfectly for denser loads and tighter patterns... It just does not seem "right" to me, but they have it on video... The edges are very rounded, but the faces are flat.

Shot several different Blasers and have to admit I like them... They even set up a running boar target...
art
Kimber has the 84l in a Montana on display rep says 30-06 270 25-06 and280ai
Posted By: CP Re: Any big new from the Shot Show - 01/19/11
Great. Do the Kimber representatives have a scheduled date for the 84L Montana to be available at the retail level? CP.
Originally Posted by CP
Great. Do the Kimber representatives have a scheduled date for the 84L Montana to be available at the retail level? CP.

30-06 first in approx 3-4 mo's...
Posted By: CP Re: Any big new from the Shot Show - 01/19/11
Cool-thanks Brad. CP.
Originally Posted by tx270

Same action, new trigger, new stock, three position safety, and a sub moa guarantee. Supposed to retail for under $500.

Bill
where can i go to find the specs on this or see pictures of the new stock? also saw where someone mentioned that stainless vanguards would be availible again anybody know what the over the counter price would be on these and when are they coming out. there is nothing on weatherby's web site
TX270,
They sure as hell are. Do me a favor and shoot me a website or a telephone number for a joint you know has reasonable prices and inventory in stock. There ain't any around here and Natchez & Midway show high prices and seriously depleted inventory selection. Thanks a bunch if you can.

Flower Child
try graf's
Don't know about S&B, but Steiner unveiled their new Tactical Scopes this year.

[Linked Image]
steiner.....good luck in tactical
Their target is not in the civilian market according to them.
Damn...those look HUGE!!!

TC
Big scopes...I mean...

TC
Hey, now that you mention it, there are guns with scopes in that picture!
nut from hare.
Looks like a typical SHOT Show to me, though I have seen them, ah, bigger....
JB,

You might be able to collect some extra $$ from Remington for proof-reading their catalogs.

JEff
No amount of money would make proof-reading the Remington catalog worthwhile. In fact I gave up reading it just for basic information a long time ago, because it's almost impossible to find!
At S.H.O.T., Winchester reintroduced the .348 Model 71 Lever-action rifle - made in Japan by Miroku, of course.
Complete with tang safety, and most likely a rebounding hammer.

Here's the S.H.O.T. video, from Winchester's website:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ymu_KyPq110&feature=player_embedded

Posted By: TDN Re: Any big new from the Shot Show - 01/20/11
Brad, or anyone - any idea if Kimber plans to run the Stainless Classic 84L in the timeline of the Montana?
Any news if Winchester will again offer the model 70 in left handed versions?
Or, maybe you could suggest to the Marlin guys that XS-7s in 223 and 22-250 with 1-8" or 1-9" ROT barrel, plus XL-7s in 7mm Rem Mag and 300 Win Mag, would go a long ways toward helping the XL/XS-7 line kick Savage's a$$ out of the <$300 CF bolt action market niche.

JEff
Originally Posted by Rangr44
At S.H.O.T., Winchester reintroduced the .348 Model 71 Lever-action rifle - made in Japan by Miroku, of course.
Complete with tang safety, and most likely a rebounding hammer.

Here's the S.H.O.T. video, from Winchester's website:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ymu_KyPq110&feature=player_embedded

That totally just ruined my day.

Brian.
Originally Posted by lmartin

Bill
where can i go to find the specs on this or see pictures of the new stock? also saw where someone mentioned that stainless vanguards would be availible again anybody know what the over the counter price would be on these and when are they coming out. there is nothing on weatherby's web site

Join the weatherby nation-They say that they will be available by May. A very good two stage trigger that they emphasized would be set at 3lbs with little creep and the return of the VGX are both good plans.

Sincerely,
Thomas

Bill

http://www.weatherby.com/vanguards2/

My comments,

I have no desire to have a bullet that is actually designed to stay inside a deer, that....scope from Steiner looks great and I think the Winchester 71 being made again is a good idea as interest in the originals and Brownings seems pretty high. The tang safety on it makes me want to swear though.....

nmimrod
Originally Posted by RDFinn

[Linked Image]

Scopes? I don't see any scopes in that picture... laugh
Anyone tell us what the mag box length is on the SA Vanguards - i.e., what is the max COL that will work with the box?

Look at the pair of objectives on that gal--must be 100mm at least.....

Wonder how much "light" they gather?......

Casey

[Linked Image]
Cute for sure, but what in the world is that outfit she's wearing?

I'd equate her garb with Steiner "quality"...

I'm always amused by folks who base "their" opinions on samples of one or none.
Lovely outfit.
Any news from Leupold? I have heard rumors about a new VX-6 line of riflescopes?

Chet

More than a sample of one...
someone stop by beretta and tell them they suck. its likely the only place you can actually find someone with their company to be able to say such a thing. not that they will care of anything.
Tikka is coming out with a new target rifle.
Originally Posted by CP

They would not commit to a date. Only "early spring."
Originally Posted by kaboku68

Bill

Join the weatherby nation-They say that they will be available by May. A very good two stage trigger that they emphasized would be set at 3lbs with little creep and the return of the VGX are both good plans.

Sincerely,
Thomas

Actually, the new trigger is adjustable down to 2.5 lbs. I tried the trigger and liked it very much. Zero creep, clean/crisp break. Also a three-position safety, which was what folks like myself previously got by replacing the old factory triggers with Timneys. I believe the Vanguard makover (they're called S2 Vanguards now) is a welcome move. New stock with "Griptonite" inserts... matte bead blast finish in blue or stainless... 24 in. barrels... avail. in June. New models should retail for roughly $50 more than current Vanguard models. Also of note: all S2 Vanguards will now have a one-inch accuracy guarantee, versus the current 1.5 in.
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
Winchester has an interesting monolithic bullet... Designed they say to open to maximum frontal area and stay in deer. A 150gr 30-06 penetrated 14" in a 20% gelatin block and opened a lot like an X... But not quite... Pics soon.

Saw the same demo and have pics. The real news with this round will be the price. Called the "Power Core 95/5" (95% copper/5% zinc)this round is in the Super X line and will retail at a price point a bit above Power Points but considerably less than E-Tips. Priced to beat the competition in factory ammo. Demo was at about 20 yards with the rounds downloaded to 100 yard velocities. Test was in 20% gelatin versus 10%, covered with a piece of deer hide. The round penetrated 14 in., as noted, and mushroomed nicely. Will be avail. in 64 gr. 223; 130 gr. 270; 150 gr. in 30-06, 300 win mag and 30-30; and 140 gr. 7mm Rem Mag.
One other bit of news from Weatherby. Don't have details yet, but they're going to offer a "more affordable" monolithic bullet in factory ammo.
One new rifle I tested that left a favorable impression is the Savage Model 11 (long action) and 111 (short action) Lightweight Hunter.

Short action is 5.5 lbs and long action is 6 lbs. Weight reduction achieved via cutouts beneath forend of wood stock, 20 in. light-profile barrel, heavily machined action and spiral fluted bolt. Uses top-load detachable box mag. Will be offered in 223, 260, 243, 270. 7mm-08, 308, 30-06 and 6.5 Creedmore. Handy little package. Can share some pics as soon as I can get them off the camera.
Posted By: djs Re: Any big new from the Shot Show - 01/20/11
Originally Posted by TexasPhotog

[Linked Image]

Scopes? I don't see any scopes in that picture... laugh

I didn't see any rifles either.
Originally Posted by gundog

Didn't see anything new re. lefty versions, but new chamberings are as follows:

- Sporter, 25-06, 24 in. barrel
- Featherweight, 25-06, 22 in. barrel
- Featherweight Compact, 22-250, 20 in. barrel
- Featherweight Compact, 243, 20 in. barrel
- Featherweight Compact, 7mm-08, 20 in. barrel
- Featherweight Compact, 308, 20-in barrel
- Extreme Weather SS, 7mm-08, 22 in. barrel
- Extreme Weather SS, 25-06, 22 in barrel
- Ultimate Shadow, 7 mm-08, 22 in. barrel
- Ultimate Shadow, 25-06, 24 in. barrel
Originally Posted by Chetaf
Any news from Leupold? I have heard rumors about a new VX-6 line of riflescopes?

Chet

Yes, there's a limited new VX-6 line with 30 mm maintube, 6:1 zoom ratio and pop-up re-zero/CDS dial system. Avail. in 1-6 X 24 with duplex or German #4 reticles and 2-12 X 42 with duplex or B&C reticles.
Posted By: CP Re: Any big new from the Shot Show - 01/20/11
Thanks for the follow up�CP.
Originally Posted by Brad

I bought a Chevy Vega and it sucked. Based on that, I'll never own a Vette cause they must suck too.
Posted By: prm Re: Any big new from the Shot Show - 01/20/11
One new rifle I tested that left a favorable impression is the Savage Model 11 (long action) and 111 (short action) Lightweight Hunter.

Short action is 5.5 lbs and long action is 6 lbs. Weight reduction achieved via cutouts beneath forend of wood stock, 20 in. light-profile barrel, heavily machined action and spiral fluted bolt. Uses top-load detachable box mag. Will be offered in 223, 260, 243, 270. 7mm-08, 308, 30-06 and 6.5 Creedmore. Handy little package. Can share some pics as soon as I can get them off the camera.

Looking forward to pics. Seem to balance ok? They make any comments about availability of synthetic stock or compatibility with current short action stocks? Read somewhere that bolt spacing may be unique and thus not compatible with existing Savage stocks.

I bought a Chevy Vega and it sucked. Based on that, I'll never own a Vette cause they must suck too.

Fair enough.
No problem, feel free to shoot me any questions on new products. Only had time for a couple of days at SHOT and am now back, digesting all the literature. Contrary to some remarks I've heard, there's actually quite a bit of news out there for those willing to ferret it out. Couple of things stand out trendwise. One is the growing number of lightweight rifle offerings (new models from Browning and Savage, among others). Another would be various new monolithic and/or more affordable ammo/bullet offerings.
Originally Posted by prm

Looking forward to pics. Seem to balance ok? They make any comments about availability of synthetic stock or compatibility with current short action stocks? Read somewhere that bolt spacing may be unique and thus not compatible with existing Savage stocks.

I'll try to get some pics up later this afternoon. Balance seemed OK so far as anything weighing 5.5 lbs can feel "balanced." Don't know about compatibility with other stocks, but it wouldn't surprise me if it's not compatible given the extensive modifications they made to save weight. Didn't get a chance to discuss in depth. Was pushed for time... folks waiting in line. Personally, I may be waiting in line to snatch one in 6.5 Creedmore when it becomes avail.
Brad, if you ever get the chance to look through the Peregrine XP, I think your opinion would change drastically. They are as good as any alpha I've ever looked through.
prm - Here are a few quick shots of the new Savage Lightweight Hunter.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Can you tell me more about the lightweight browning rifle that you mentionned earlier.Thanks
I heard that Remington was going to make CM and SS Model 700 sporters in 223 and 22-250 with twist rates of 1-8" or 1-9".

hah-hah, just kidding........
How about a 308 from Rem. without the Linda Lovelace treatment?
Originally Posted by Kentucky_Windage

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Man imagine the amount a acraglass one would have to use to bed that barrel grin
Brad, if you ever get the chance to look through the Peregrine XP, I think your opinion would change drastically. They are as good as any alpha I've ever looked through.

I'll second that. I've had the occasion to look through that and the FL and EL in the field and that Steiner takes a back seat to nothing.
That little Savage looks pretty sharp except for the vented fore end, I could definitely do without that.

Bill
I've been to a bunch of SHOTs, and it occurs to me that if one of the highlights of this year's show is a Savage rifle, I'm kinda glad I did not make it this year.

Steve
A few shots from demo of new Win Power Core 95/5 monolithic mentioned earlier. 20% gelatin (versus 10%) at about 20 yards, round downloaded to 100-yard velocities. 14-in. penetration thru deer hide and gelatin. Again, will cost a bit more than power points but considerably less than premium monolithic loads such as E-Tip.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by xwe666
Can you tell me more about the lightweight browning rifle that you mentionned earlier.Thanks

X-Bolt Micro Midas listed at 6 lbs 1 oz. with 20-in. barrels in 22-250, 243, 7mm-08 and 308. I believe it has a shorter LOP... aimed at "smaller shooters."

You only had one Vega. Get another so you won't base your opinion on a sample of one. LOL. wink grin

I'll ride around with you. We'll make the Vega cool again.
Someone should post a photo of the Kimber Booth with the 84L Montana. Then a close-up would be nice. laugh
Originally Posted by johnfox

Bill

http://www.weatherby.com/vanguards2/

jeez, they managed to out-ugly themselves on the new stocks.
That little Savage looks pretty sharp except for the vented fore end, I could definitely do without that.

Bill

Bill you took the words right out of my mouth.
As I looked a the pics I was thinking "man not bad at all" then I hit that shot of the under forearm.... "Ugh damn what a shame"
Hey I remember guys dumping small block Chevy V-8's in them.
That makes for a nasty little car. grin
So long as you didn't mind that it wouldn't steer, stop or handle..

Girlfriend's brother put a 396 into one of those three-door Vega wagons. It was a very interesting project. Mighta wished the Gf had stuck around longer so I'd have seen the final result. ;<)

Like I said, nasty.
Girlfriend's brother put a 396 into one of those three-door Vega wagons.

A rat had to require major surgery, knowing what it took to get a mouse into one.
Originally Posted by 7x57STEVE
I've been to a bunch of SHOTs, and it occurs to me that if one of the highlights of this year's show is a Savage rifle, I'm kinda glad I did not make it this year.

Steve

Obviously more than that going on. Just a few things from my notes:

LOTS of new lefty rifles from Browning. New CZ 577 Sporter, aimed to be more affordable than 550. CZ 550 series has two new with Kevlar stocks. Entire Wby Vanguard line gets a makeover. Ruger has a new 6.8 SPC version of the SR-556. There's a new Winchester Model 70 featherweight compact, designed for smaller shooters, as is Browning's new micro midas. Also new 1886 short rifle and 1892 carbine. New Savage Lightweight Hunter and Bear Hunter models. Kimber 84L classic select grade now avail. in 280 AI, 84L Montana in 25-06, 270, 280 AI, 30-06, and there's a special editition Caprivi. New Sako A7 Tecomate rifle (with fluted stainless barrel, composite stock) avail in 270 WSM and 300 WSM. Montana Rifle Co. officially moves to production rifles with ASR, XWR. New from Remington: 700 SPS Camo, 597 AAC SD, 700 CDL DM, 700 CDL SF limited edition, 700 XCRII Camo Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation, 700 SPS Tactical AAC SD, Model Seven Synthethic. There's more, I'm sure, such as the customary new chamerings for existing lines, etc.
Appreciate the pics and comments. That Savage lightweight looks a lot nicer than the pic on their website. I was told Mar/Apr for availability. I think I need one! 260, 7mm-08 or 308 is the question, ugh.
Originally Posted by prm
Appreciate the pics and comments. That Savage lightweight looks a lot nicer than the pic on their website. I was told Mar/Apr for availability. I think I need one! 260, 7mm-08 or 308 is the question, ugh.

I'm not crazy about all the cutouts under the forearm, either, but after shooting the rifle, I will be sorely tempted when they bring it out in the 6.5 Creedmore... pretty cool little stalking rifle.

LOTS of new lefty rifles from Browning...

... Montana Rifle Co. officially moves to production rifles with ASR, XWR...

Damn, I wish I liked Browning rifles more. wink

MRC has always supported the southpaw segment from the get go, maybe we'll see some nice LH CRF rifles from them?
The Savage lightweight hunter would be nice in .250-3000

RD, I respect your opinion enough to believe that... I'll keep an eye out for one to sample.

Aside, your Vega/Vette analogy is spot-on.

And no, the Vega will never be cool laugh
Posted By: bcp Re: Any big new from the Shot Show - 01/20/11

That Savage wouldn't be lightweight any more.

smile

Bruce

[Linked Image]

Like the vents under the forearm. whistle

I guess dirt dobbers need houses too.

[Linked Image]

They needed all the room they could get with scope for the rings. Appears the top of the receiver is round just like the current short actions so bases will be compatible. Any Talley experts out there know if Talleys can be used on a Savage short action? Looking for a solid, but light, solution.
Originally Posted by Jim in Idaho

LOTS of new lefty rifles from Browning...

... Montana Rifle Co. officially moves to production rifles with ASR, XWR...

Damn, I wish I liked Browning rifles more. wink

MRC has always supported the southpaw segment from the get go, maybe we'll see some nice LH CRF rifles from them?

My information is that the ASR will be offered in either matte blued chrome moly steel or stainless steel barreled action in a walnut stock in either right- or left-handed configuration. ASR and XWR will be chambered in 18 calibers from 243 to 338 Win Mag.

FYI, I just noticed that the DGR will also be offered as a production rifle, but apparantly not in a lefty version.
Originally Posted by JohnMoses

[Linked Image]

Like the vents under the forearm. whistle

I always heard that about you... never met a "vent" you didn't like. wink
PRM - Email sent.
I think the vent looks pretty cool. Keeping stuff out of there is another story. I could also see it making it hard to grip comfortably.

Last time I checked into the Steiner line a bit I kind of liked some of their optics. And keep in mind this was about 5 years ago so maybe somethings changed. But as I recall I wasn't impressed with their warranty plans. Seems to me there was a lot of 5 year or 10 year or some crapola like that. And that is what totally put me off.

That said, what's the warranty on the Peregine these days?

Thx
Dober

Heres some Talley's on a short action Savage American Classic

[Linked Image]
I'm not scarred to run a Savage....

I'll take one of the new lightweights in the .250-3000 or the 6.5-250AI laugh

Bill

Here's Wby's press release I just pulled off the new product CD. They told me the rifles should be avail. in June.

Weatherby� Guarantees SUB-MOA With New Vanguard� S2 Rifles

In recent years, accuracy-avid hunters and shooters have made Vanguard� rifles the top seller in Weatherby�s firearms line. Weatherby now takes the performance of Vanguard to an even higher level with the new Series 2 (S2), which is guaranteed to shoot SUB-MOA (a three-shot group of .99-inch or less) with factory or premium ammunition.

Scheduled for a Spring 2011 introduction in blued and stainless versions, the Vanguard S2 rifle features a new two-stage Match Quality Target Trigger. The trigger has an auxiliary sear for a �creep free� consistent let-off and pre-set sear engagement at .008-.012. It is adjustable for weight of pull down to 2.5 pounds.

�Our new S2 incorporates the most significant changes to Vanguard rifles since they were first introduced in the early 1970s,� said company President Ed Weatherby. �An outstanding new trigger, a more current look and a written SUB-MOA accuracy guarantee make the S2 a tremendous value, with all the flat-shooting, hard-hitting performance expected of a Weatherby.�

The Vanguard S2 sports a new Griptonite� stock with the traditional Weatherby profile that allows quick eye-to-scope alignment and fast target acquisition. Constructed of modern materials, the stock has non-slip panels and a right-side palm swell for improved handling and control. Also new is the metalwork�s matte bead blast finish on both the blued and stainless versions.

Other added features include a 3-position safety, and a trigger housing constructed from aluminum alloy to reduce weight. The Vanguard S2 has a 24-inch barrel and weighs approximately 7.25 pounds.

Like all Vanguard rifles, the S2 is based on the legendary Mark V� action. The Vanguard action has a one-piece machined bolt, fully enclosed bolt sleeve and three rings of steel surrounding the casehead for an extra measure of strength and structural integrity.

The Vanguard S2 blued version will be available in 15 calibers: .22-250 Remington, .223 Remington, .243 Winchester, .25-06 Remington, .257 Weatherby Mag., .270 Winchester, .300 Winchester Mag., .300 Weatherby Mag., .30-06 Springfield, .308 Winchester, .338 Winchester Mag., 7mm-08 Remington, 7mm Remington Mag., .270 Winchester Short Mag. and .300 Winchester Short Mag.

The stainless version will be offered in .223 Remington, .243 Winchester, .257 Weatherby Mag., .270 Winchester, .300 Winchester Mag., .300 Weatherby Mag., .30-06 Springfield and 7mm Remington Mag.

Retail prices are expected to be around $450 for the Vanguard S2 blued version and $600 for the stainless. Right-hand models only.
Posted By: prm Re: Any big new from the Shot Show - 01/21/11
Originally Posted by chrome
Heres some Talley's on a short action Savage American Classic

Excellent, thanks. What height are those? (Ex. Low, Low, Med, etc?) The give heights in the catalog (.3, .4, .5, etc), I assume those are measured as top of the receiver to where the bottom of the scope tube will be?
Don't forget to get a photo of the 84L Montana at the Kimber booth. laugh
Originally Posted by bigwhoop
Don't forget to get a photo of the 84L Montana at the Kimber booth. laugh

Too late. Drove home last night. But here's a bit of a Kimber "fix" for you.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
I believe there mediums with the 35mm scope objective.
Home again.

This will sound like blasphemy, but I didn't look at guns. Never have. My interest is in reloading. Although, I WILL admit to planting a bug in Ruger's ear. I handled one of their lightweight little youth rifles and suggested that they might lengthen the barrel to 18" or so and chamber it in 250 Savage instead of the silly 243 - and the company rep got one of those raised eyebrow looks.

The most interesting thing I saw was from Redding. They are introducing a carbide sizer die with two separate carbide rings. The lower one is a bit larger so as to not over-size the case body and the upper one is a bit smaller to provide more bullet pull. It's case-length specific, of course, and will come out in 357 Mag, 357 Sig, 44 Magnum and 45 Colt. I put in a plug for the 44 Special as their next offering.
Thanks KW.
Originally Posted by bigwhoop
Thanks KW.

I can feel the disappointment all the way from Montana! laugh
It didn't show the rifle up close but then again he already left the show. Better n' nuttin. cry
Oh, I just remembered ... for you lovers of the Taurus Judge, you'll be pleased to know that Taurus will now make one in 28 gauge, and S&W is making one like the original judge in 45/410.

Next year, maybe there'll be a six-shot 12-gauge chambered for 3�-inch shells -- and two-ounce "Paradox" slug loads to shoot in it. Won't that be just swell?
Originally Posted by RockyRaab
Oh, I just remembered ... for you lovers of the Taurus Judge, you'll be pleased to know that Taurus will now make one in 28 gauge, and S&W is making one like the original judge in 45/410.

If there ever was a greenhorn rig the Taurus Judge is it... welcome to Walmart folks...
Gawd, don't even start on all the handguns... the thread will never end. All the new sub-compact, micro-compact -- whatever you want to call them -- carry guns could take days to describe although I will say there's a lot of cool new stuff out there in 9 mm, presumably by popular demand, following the flood of 380 stuff in recent years. And then there are the new .45s. Don't even want to wanna go there. Only so much safe room/budget/wifely tolerance to go around...

Maybe we should just go the other way. Talk about the Hannibal Model .577 Tyrannosaur. wink I think I snapped a photo of it.
Posted By: TDN Re: Any big new from the Shot Show - 01/21/11
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bK8ZlA1fex4

For those of us waiting to get a look at the 84L MT...

Looks good!
What I'd hoped for...
Rocky,
Any info on when the Power Pro series from Alliant in their large rifle (3000 LR) will be out?
Posted By: TDN Re: Any big new from the Shot Show - 01/21/11
Thanks RDFinn! Thats what I was thinkin...

Looks like a good looking rifle - might be hard to stay away from grin
Regarding the Montana Rifle company productions, what does ASR and XWR stand for? DGR I can figure out.
[quote=7x57STEVE]Obviously more than that going on. Just a few things from my notes:

New Sako A7 Tecomate rifle (with fluted stainless barrel, composite stock) avail in 270 WSM and 300 WSM.

Interesting, wasn't the Tacomate A-7 introduced LAST year? The have been for sale on gunbroker and shops for several months now, somewhat hard to come by though..

Sako perhaps double dipping because they opened their mouths last year before they could back it up to supply it?

Bill
Regarding the Montana Rifle company productions, what does ASR and XWR stand for? DGR I can figure out.

I asume that the XWR is extreme weather rifle and ASR I will go out on a limb and say American Standard Rifle?????? ASR being wood stock and blued steel. With that said I haven't a clue just like you. Please fill us in.
The 505 Jeffery DGR is a beast! The action has enough meat and length to make it an obvious DGR without apology... And I liked the 22" barrel as a starting point, but the stock did not give a lot of confidence that it was going to be around for the long haul...

They obviously spent some time slicking it up.
Do you have any pictures Sitka deer?
ASR ? Must be the Alabama Sheep Rifle
Originally Posted by MontanaCreekHunter
Do you have any pictures Sitka deer?

No, sorry, it was not something I photographed... It was a "target-rich" environment and keeping photos down to a workable number was a challenge... wink
art
One of the biggest things I got out of the whole show was how good entry level optics have become. Looking through a lot of Asian-made glass showed remarkably subtle differences.

Swaro's "The Dude" view glasses are another head scratcher for me. I continue to wonder how they get confused with being top tier glass.
Anyone know if Beretta/Sako was there? I just spent the better part of an hour drooling over the new 2011 Sako rifles on their website. (Of course, this is the European site. I'm sure Beretta USA will not import any of these new models into the U.S.)
Yup, they are here... Did not spend any time except on Beretta O/Us...
Cooper has there magnum lines on display very nice as usual
Originally Posted by MontanaCreekHunter

I asume that the XWR is extreme weather rifle and ASR I will go out on a limb and say American Standard Rifle?????? ASR being wood stock and blued steel. With that said I haven't a clue just like you. Please fill us in.

Correct. American Standard Rifle, Xtreme Weather Rifle and Dangerous Game Rifle.
One of the biggest things I got out of the whole show was how good entry level optics have become. Looking through a lot of Asian-made glass showed remarkably subtle differences.

Swaro's "The Dude" view glasses are another head scratcher for me. I continue to wonder how they get confused with being top tier glass.

that is a surprise too, check out the redfield rebel, and the leupold yosimite, for $125 a guy can have a usable unit that isn't too bad.
Originally Posted by pinotguy
Anyone know if Beretta/Sako was there? I just spent the better part of an hour drooling over the new 2011 Sako rifles on their website. (Of course, this is the European site. I'm sure Beretta USA will not import any of these new models into the U.S.)

Of course they're at the show. Beretta usually has a pretty significant presence. Sako was well represented and I spent some time with them. The new Sako 2011 catalogue for the U.S. market lists some 13 available models: A7, A7 Stainless, A7 Tecomate, 85 Grey Wolf, 85 Finnlight ST, 85 Kodiak, 85 Bavarian, 85 Classic, 85 Varmint Stainless ST, 85 Safari, 85 Safari 90, 85 Safari 90 Limited and TRG.
Yup, they are here... Did not spend any time except on Beretta O/Us...

Spent some time on those, too. Did you see the new line that's going to replace the Silver Pigeons? Forgot the name at the moment... will have to look it up.
Originally Posted by heavywalker

Do you happen to know what all chamberings they are offering?
Originally Posted by bludog
Rocky,
Any info on when the Power Pro series from Alliant in their large rifle (3000 LR) will be out?

Ben Armonet told me that 3000 and 4000 will be out this Spring.

Also, the guys at Ramshot tell me that their days of "lowest bidder supplier" are over. They'll be locking in powder makers in order to eliminate the unpredictable shifts in burn rate and other qualities that they've had in the past, especially with Accurate powders. (About time, I thought to myself.)
I have been testing some of the new-manufacture Accurate powders since early last summer, and they are VERY good.
Originally Posted by rrogers

257wby
264wm
270wby
7mm rm
7mm wby
7mm stw
300 h &h
300 wm
300 wby
308 norma
8mm rm
338 wm
340 wby
Originally Posted by rrogers

257wby
264wm
270wby
7mm rm
7mm wby
7mm stw
300 h &h
300 wm
300 wby
308 norma
8mm rm
338 wm
340 wby

Nice, thank you
Thanks RDFinn!!! There it is folks - the rifle that will beat all else! All the features I want including a 24" barrel.
The 84L Montana Skookum will be the most sought after rifle in a long time. It'll be harder to find than Brett Favre in a Vikings uniform. laugh grin
**Now just a cautionary note: beware of "Kimber roulette". I'd stand down for at least 6 months if I were you. I'll post an objective review before you place your order. I know many here do not like to be disappointed.** whistle
Just out of curiosity, what's the rate of twist in a Skookum?

wink
1 in Smidge.
Long action Skookums of the 30-06 vintage usually arrive at 1:10.
I see I guessed the out of box weight darn close @ 5# 10oz.. I'll have to get a 7x57 barrel ordered. Oh the wife will be happy "her" rifle is coming soon. cool This will make the long snowy winter easier for her to endure.
Hey come on Brad.........

The Taurus is actually a pretty good trail gun. The .45 Colt is..well a .45 Colt nothing wrong with that. Can hit beer cans at 20 yds or so, good enough. The .410 smokes grouse pretty handily, as well as bunnies, squirrels etc. Took care some bats that were buzzing around in the cabin as well as some pine squirrels that chewed thier way in.

Ugly as a mud fence but works for my use. (You can probably tell I am not a real handgun guy)

Lefty C
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
I have been testing some of the new-manufacture Accurate powders since early last summer, and they are VERY good.

First I have heard of new Accurate powders. What is it that makes them so good?
Thanks.
RockyRaab, that is a great idea and hope it bears fruit.

"I handled one of their lightweight little youth rifles and suggested that they might lengthen the barrel to 18" or so and chamber it in 250 Savage instead of the silly 243 - and the company rep got one of those raised eyebrow looks."

Swaro had some sweet 10x50 and 12x50 ELs.

Big trend in moving to AA platform trail cams across the board.

Much better Chinese stuff than previously.

A number of new 7.62x51 black rifles.

Tons of bottom metal for AI mags in Rem 700 platforms.

Nikon impressed the hell out of me with their Edge spotting scopes- wish I could have test driven one outside.

I skipped a lot of stuff this year- in fact, I never even went in Leupold's booth.

Originally Posted by Mule Deer

MD can you recommend an Accurate powder for 30-06?
Originally Posted by gundog

seems it s not in the project for soon, at least this answer was given from Browning rep in Quebec after i sent him email this end of the week ...

keep dreaming about this version back too...
Anyone see if anybody is offering decent, affordable RF binos other than Bushnell?
Browning A-Bolt slug gun is back!!!!!!
Accurate powder company was originally from Tennessee. They imported a line of spherical and extruded powders from fast pistol through shotgun and into slow rifle uses. Good stuff, all. BUT, they also had a philosophy of using whatever maker could provide a kind of powder at the lowest cost. At various times, a given powder might have been made in Israel, South Africa, the Czech Republic, Belgium or elsewhere. Supposedly, the powder was made to the same recipe and specifications, but it didn't always turn out that way - obviously.

So depending on who made your current bottle, your sample of Accurate #2 (as one example) might be faster or slower, more or less dense, or even a different color. A load that worked well before might be over maximum with the new lot, or you had to use a different measure to get the same weight. Lots of reloaders gave up on the whole product line out of distrust.

When Western Powders bought the line, they dropped or changed some powders (to my great disappointment) but at least kept some of the more popular varieties. Now, they say they've standardized the production of the remaining line. That's a good thing.

As to what powders are best for a given use, I'll simply refer you HERE
Thanks Rocky
© 24hourcampfire