Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Originally Posted by prm
Appreciate the pics and comments. That Savage lightweight looks a lot nicer than the pic on their website. I was told Mar/Apr for availability. I think I need one! 260, 7mm-08 or 308 is the question, ugh.

I'm not crazy about all the cutouts under the forearm, either, but after shooting the rifle, I will be sorely tempted when they bring it out in the 6.5 Creedmore... pretty cool little stalking rifle.

If you're fixin' to put a hole in something,
make it a hole to remember.
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Kentucky_Windage

LOTS of new lefty rifles from Browning...

... Montana Rifle Co. officially moves to production rifles with ASR, XWR...

Damn, I wish I liked Browning rifles more. wink

MRC has always supported the southpaw segment from the get go, maybe we'll see some nice LH CRF rifles from them?

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The Savage lightweight hunter would be nice in .250-3000

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by RDFinn
Brad, if you ever get the chance to look through the Peregrine XP, I think your opinion would change drastically. They are as good as any alpha I've ever looked through.

RD, I respect your opinion enough to believe that... I'll keep an eye out for one to sample.

Aside, your Vega/Vette analogy is spot-on.

And no, the Vega will never be cool laugh

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
bcp Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Hey I remember guys dumping small block Chevy V-8's in them.

That Savage wouldn't be lightweight any more.

smile

Bruce

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
prm - Here are a few quick shots of the new Savage Lightweight Hunter.

[Linked Image]

Like the vents under the forearm. whistle

I guess dirt dobbers need houses too.

P
prm Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P

[Linked Image]

They needed all the room they could get with scope for the rings. Appears the top of the receiver is round just like the current short actions so bases will be compatible. Any Talley experts out there know if Talleys can be used on a Savage short action? Looking for a solid, but light, solution.

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Originally Posted by Jim in Idaho

LOTS of new lefty rifles from Browning...

... Montana Rifle Co. officially moves to production rifles with ASR, XWR...

Damn, I wish I liked Browning rifles more. wink

MRC has always supported the southpaw segment from the get go, maybe we'll see some nice LH CRF rifles from them?

My information is that the ASR will be offered in either matte blued chrome moly steel or stainless steel barreled action in a walnut stock in either right- or left-handed configuration. ASR and XWR will be chambered in 18 calibers from 243 to 338 Win Mag.

FYI, I just noticed that the DGR will also be offered as a production rifle, but apparantly not in a lefty version.

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Originally Posted by JohnMoses
prm - Here are a few quick shots of the new Savage Lightweight Hunter.

[Linked Image]

Like the vents under the forearm. whistle

I always heard that about you... never met a "vent" you didn't like. wink

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
PRM - Email sent.

IC B3

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
I think the vent looks pretty cool. Keeping stuff out of there is another story. I could also see it making it hard to grip comfortably.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Brad, if you ever get the chance to look through the Peregrine XP, I think your opinion would change drastically. They are as good as any alpha I've ever looked through.

Last time I checked into the Steiner line a bit I kind of liked some of their optics. And keep in mind this was about 5 years ago so maybe somethings changed. But as I recall I wasn't impressed with their warranty plans. Seems to me there was a lot of 5 year or 10 year or some crapola like that. And that is what totally put me off.

That said, what's the warranty on the Peregine these days?

Thx
Dober

"True respect starts with the way you treat others, and it is earned over a lifetime of demonstrating kindness, honor and dignity"....Tony Dungy
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Heres some Talley's on a short action Savage American Classic

[Linked Image]

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I'm not scarred to run a Savage....

I'll take one of the new lightweights in the .250-3000 or the 6.5-250AI laugh

Last edited by chrome; 01/20/11.

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Originally Posted by lmartin
Originally Posted by tx270
I heard something and saw an ad for the new WBY Vanguard.

Same action, new trigger, new stock, three position safety, and a sub moa guarantee. Supposed to retail for under $500.

Bill
where can i go to find the specs on this or see pictures of the new stock? also saw where someone mentioned that stainless vanguards would be availible again anybody know what the over the counter price would be on these and when are they coming out. there is nothing on weatherby's web site

Here's Wby's press release I just pulled off the new product CD. They told me the rifles should be avail. in June.

Weatherby� Guarantees SUB-MOA With New Vanguard� S2 Rifles

In recent years, accuracy-avid hunters and shooters have made Vanguard� rifles the top seller in Weatherby�s firearms line. Weatherby now takes the performance of Vanguard to an even higher level with the new Series 2 (S2), which is guaranteed to shoot SUB-MOA (a three-shot group of .99-inch or less) with factory or premium ammunition.

Scheduled for a Spring 2011 introduction in blued and stainless versions, the Vanguard S2 rifle features a new two-stage Match Quality Target Trigger. The trigger has an auxiliary sear for a �creep free� consistent let-off and pre-set sear engagement at .008-.012. It is adjustable for weight of pull down to 2.5 pounds.

�Our new S2 incorporates the most significant changes to Vanguard rifles since they were first introduced in the early 1970s,� said company President Ed Weatherby. �An outstanding new trigger, a more current look and a written SUB-MOA accuracy guarantee make the S2 a tremendous value, with all the flat-shooting, hard-hitting performance expected of a Weatherby.�

The Vanguard S2 sports a new Griptonite� stock with the traditional Weatherby profile that allows quick eye-to-scope alignment and fast target acquisition. Constructed of modern materials, the stock has non-slip panels and a right-side palm swell for improved handling and control. Also new is the metalwork�s matte bead blast finish on both the blued and stainless versions.

Other added features include a 3-position safety, and a trigger housing constructed from aluminum alloy to reduce weight. The Vanguard S2 has a 24-inch barrel and weighs approximately 7.25 pounds.

Like all Vanguard rifles, the S2 is based on the legendary Mark V� action. The Vanguard action has a one-piece machined bolt, fully enclosed bolt sleeve and three rings of steel surrounding the casehead for an extra measure of strength and structural integrity.

The Vanguard S2 blued version will be available in 15 calibers: .22-250 Remington, .223 Remington, .243 Winchester, .25-06 Remington, .257 Weatherby Mag., .270 Winchester, .300 Winchester Mag., .300 Weatherby Mag., .30-06 Springfield, .308 Winchester, .338 Winchester Mag., 7mm-08 Remington, 7mm Remington Mag., .270 Winchester Short Mag. and .300 Winchester Short Mag.

The stainless version will be offered in .223 Remington, .243 Winchester, .257 Weatherby Mag., .270 Winchester, .300 Winchester Mag., .300 Weatherby Mag., .30-06 Springfield and 7mm Remington Mag.

Retail prices are expected to be around $450 for the Vanguard S2 blued version and $600 for the stainless. Right-hand models only.

P
prm Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by chrome
Heres some Talley's on a short action Savage American Classic

Excellent, thanks. What height are those? (Ex. Low, Low, Med, etc?) The give heights in the catalog (.3, .4, .5, etc), I assume those are measured as top of the receiver to where the bottom of the scope tube will be?

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Don't forget to get a photo of the 84L Montana at the Kimber booth. laugh

My home is the "sanctuary residence" for my firearms.
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Originally Posted by bigwhoop
Don't forget to get a photo of the 84L Montana at the Kimber booth. laugh

Too late. Drove home last night. But here's a bit of a Kimber "fix" for you.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I believe there mediums with the 35mm scope objective.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Home again.

This will sound like blasphemy, but I didn't look at guns. Never have. My interest is in reloading. Although, I WILL admit to planting a bug in Ruger's ear. I handled one of their lightweight little youth rifles and suggested that they might lengthen the barrel to 18" or so and chamber it in 250 Savage instead of the silly 243 - and the company rep got one of those raised eyebrow looks.

The most interesting thing I saw was from Redding. They are introducing a carbide sizer die with two separate carbide rings. The lower one is a bit larger so as to not over-size the case body and the upper one is a bit smaller to provide more bullet pull. It's case-length specific, of course, and will come out in 357 Mag, 357 Sig, 44 Magnum and 45 Colt. I put in a plug for the 44 Special as their next offering.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

Page 5 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

294 members (10gaugemag, 1badf350, 1moredeer, 1OntarioJim, 264mag, 17CalFan, 29 invisible), 1,340 guests, and 1,008 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,981
Posts18,519,963
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.