My dad, a Wyoming rancher, who was born in 1917, showed me this trick years ago and it has never let me down. He used to always have a piano wire snare in his glove box, or in his pocket if he was horseback and if we came up on a badger and his hole, he would put a noose around the hole. They angle down and you want to be on the top side of the angle. then he would point out the hole to our dogs and they sniff and growl or bark (don't let them dig or they'll mess up the noose). I don't know why but most of the time that badger who's down there safe and snug will come up for a fight. When he sticks his head out, give him a yank, (you want good gloves and a good wrap) then swing him around untill he's stangled. Don't let them get ahold of your dogs though, even if a tough dog kills the badger, he rarely gets it done unscathed. You can do this same thing with a good sharp shovel, a prarrie guillotine. a badgers primary concern in a fight is keeping his butt in the hole and using his head like a snapping turtle in and out of the hole. I saw my dad end up with one some how by the front leg and it was swinging but would not strangle he walked a few hundred yards swinging this badger in a circle over his head to a fence and smoked him as hard as he could into a fence post. I wish I had a picture takin in the 60s with me (It's 50 miles away at my folk's) I'd post it. My dad has his shirt off and looks like a pro football player and he's swinging a badger but you can't see the cable in the photo it looks like a flying badger is going to land on his head and he's got his hand up to block it. smile

Too many people buy stuff they don't want, with money they don't have, to impress people they don't like!