Originally Posted by Sitka deer
Originally Posted by Magnum_Bob
M77RS 22" would be better if 24". Barrel length is the cheapest velocity gain. I would never cut one down for portability issues. If you want a short barrel buy it that way from the get go. MB

Having crawled into alders following a wounded bear more than once barrel length is the easiest thing to change and a little extra velocity is the last thing I would worry about.

Sitka, all due respect to your profession and experience at it, your opinion is good for you and your needs not mine. For where and what I use mine for 26" isn't a problem ,24 " would be a compromise. Finding a 03 that had been rebored or a 1917 rebored to 35 Whelen and sporterized back in the the times they did that with a full length barrel sure would not get a whack job from me. Finding and getting something like that is probably more likely than ever coming up with enough money to afford to have a guided brown bear hunt in Alaska. Be a " grail" gun for me. Yes I would use it also. I don't buy guns to look at , shoot every one of them. MB

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "