I have a Savage 212. I have trouble feeding the rounds it shoots best - Hornady SST 300 grain slugs. They're hard to feed from the magazine, they can be hard to chamber, and they are hard to reliably extract. About 1/2 them are out of round. And the rim diameter seems to be a hair smaller than other brands, with a more slanted lip. Forceful cycling helps, but doesn't always prevent hang ups. But the gun groups them into an inch at 100 yards.

Other rounds feed, chamber, and extract much more reliably (Federal and Remington), but I can't give up the accuracy of the Hornady SST slugs. So I've just decided to live with the Hornadys, at least for now. It's not a dangerous game gun. It's not all that expensive. It is what it is and I've decided to just live with its peculiararities with certain types of ammo.

As far as I know, there is no alternative bottom metal. My bottom metal is steel and I think its rather high quality given the gun's price point. But not withstanding, it's a realtively cheap bolt action gun that is intended to cycle cylinders in and out of a chamber. It will never be as reliable in that respect as a bolt action rifle.

Last edited by 10Glocks; 11/12/21.