Originally Posted by KMGHuntingSafaris
Originally Posted by AB2506
Marius seems like a nice guy. You don't hear anything bad about him. I've messaged with him a couple of times.

Now this is going to anger some people. Marius does not own a lodge. He owns no property. Therefore, he has little overhead compared to an outfitter who owns property and game.

KMG contracts a lodge in the area they will be hunting in. They lease property to hunt and buy the game animals. This allows them to make a profit while undercutting outfitters who must maintain their property and manage their game.

Like a locust, these outfits move into an area, denude the leased properties of mature animals over 1-3 years and then move on to the next property.

Its a business model I cannot support. Its not as bad as places like HuntersHill which is a put and take hunting operation, but KMG has no skin in the game. JMHO

Thank you for your comments, but you could not be more wrong sir.

Over the 13 years as an outfitter, I've only ever operated from two areas. First, I was in Grahamstown, Eastern Cape. I operated out of there from 2010 until mid 2019. I was also a 50% owner there with a beautiful lodge built on the property. Around 2018, I sold my 50% share. I still use this lodge, especially for Tiny 10 since there are species that occur in this area not found from our base camp.

I felt that I wanted to move away from the "Commercial" model that South Africa is known for, and be able to offer hunters more wild experience and a chance to hunt free range areas in South Africa. I've been in this area since 2019.

Are you not perhaps thinking of someone else?

Marius, I stand corrected in your case. Please accept my sincere apology.

If you are in the Eastern Cape this April and our paths cross, I'll buy you a coffee or a beer, your choice. I'll be bouncing around a lot as I have taken most of the species in the Cathcart/Queenstown area.