Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
Originally Posted by DiabloBlanco
Congrats to you and looks like a happy shooting family! Now that you got the foot the door this Christmas, what's planned for NEXT Christmas? 10/22? 410?
That's a great question.

Not sure; will have to give it some thought.

DF

Edited to add, ya think a bolt gun may be better for a beginner than a 10-22? Nothing wrong with the 10-22, I have a couple. But a single shot bolt gun is what I started with, a Winchester 67, still have mine. But the stock may be a bit long and I don't want to cut it. Probably be better to just get one for him.

What do you guys recommend?

DF

Lots of people seem to think a semi auto is unsafe for kids but I disagree. My thought is make everything as fun as possible and nothing is more fun than a 10/22. Both of mine started with a single shot cricket then moved to a 10/22.

I explained to them that we don’t do mag dumps and we’re aiming carefully and making every shot count. They rarely even ask if they can “rapid fire”.

Worked great for my oldest and just got my 7yo a 10/22 compact for Christmas.

https://ruger.com/products/1022Compact/specSheets/31114.html

Plus the fact that you can modify it and build it up together as time goes by makes it really cool. My oldest got a magpul stock for his for Christmas. Well move on to trigger parts, bolt releases, etc over the spring/summer.

Add in some gongs, spinners, kyl racks, and a lot of 22 ammo and I’ll be very confident in their abilities come deer season.