Originally Posted by 7mm_Loco
Originally Posted by shrapnel
Originally Posted by 7mm_Loco
Originally Posted by cumminscowboy
Repaints are never as good as factory.
that depends entirely on Who! did the prep & painting & What! products they used $$$...

Other than Kindig in Utah, no one can beat factory paint…
LOL, that is both funny! and a coincidence!... if you watched Kindig's Kustom "Gull Wing Mercedes" episode, that short guy in the booth when they painted it is Rick Harvard, the Head Honcho at the Akso Nobel (Sikkens) application center in Troy Michigan... he is a friend of my brother... we have prepped & painted with Rick in Troy... When we built a "No Holes Barred" RestoMod Trans Am some yrs back, my brother flew Rick in to Shoot it... after he shot the body, my brother wasn't happy with it, as it would have required a heavy cut & buff, and we wanted an OEM factory texture (aka orange peel)... He sent him home & i shot it with over reduced clear at a higher air pressure... after lightly nibbing the dirt specks & then lightly buzzing it with 3000 grit Trizact on a soft interface pad, followed by a light buffing with 3M perfect-it 3 step polish, it is a "Dead Ringer" for a factory paint job... Rick is a good Painter (and Chemist) with more experience than me... but i can Outshoot him when it comes to matching an OEM factory painted look...

Good for you, but not many can back up that claim. Kindig puts out stuff that factories can’t match in their ability to fabricate and paint. Try and find a shop that can accomplish the same finish.

I had my GTO repainted about 8 years ago by a Chevrolet body shop. They took all the parts off and hand worked the whole car. I doubt it looked this good from the factory, but that was 1965.

Today they have some great paint applied to a body you can’t do in a paint booth…

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]