Originally Posted by jwp475
Originally Posted by dla
Originally Posted by jwp475

A wide flat point hard cast will leave a larger wound channel and penetrate deeper than will an unopended hollow point, I've seen it many times

I agree with the 1st part but question the 2nd. An unopened JHP and WFN of equal weight will be close in penetration with the edge going to the unopened, undeformed JHP.
But usually the "unopened" JHP is still significantly deformed which reduces penetration. Although I have used JHP's from Montana Gold that behaved just like ball.

The red portion is where my responce is directed. What proofs do you base this statement on? In my experience the unopened or slightly deformed hollow pointdoes not travel as straight of a course and does not penetrate as depply nor does itleave as large of a wound channel. I have seen this in test media and in animals.

I've never seen 45acp wander - its pretty stable. Montana Gold JHP would drill a hole straight and true - hardly ever deformed. No other JHP I tested behaved like this, but then they weren't marketed as self-defense bullets either.

I don't disagree the WFN will create a slightly bigger hole, but there's no magic to make it penetrate better than a plugged, non-deforming JHP of equal weight. I've gotten some amazing penetration from JHP bullets that didn't work like they're supposed to.

The bullet recovered from the piggie looks to me like it wasn't moving very fast on impact - less than 800fps would be my guess. But it did deform some and created a wound channel greater than the bullet diameter. One reason why I prefer the 185gr XTP for self-defense in my 1911's as I can keep the velocity above 1000fps easily and they always open to some degree (they're pretty soft).