Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
Originally Posted by smy1
For ultra accuracy (benchrest, 1000 yard, etc) you will see only full free float to the action. Reason: more shooting, more barrel heat-up. Metal expands at a different rate than epoxy. As barrel expands greater than epoxy, subsequent shots may shoot higher. Read this in a scholarly tome, but cannot remember when or where. My gunsmith, Steve Baldwin-Mechanical Accuracy-Jones, OK, is mucho smart/experienced with this and full free floats all barrels, as do I now. The "shank pad" is more cosmetic than anything, and probably doesn't hurt for general hunting.

My smith is Ray Bowman, Precision Rifle and Tool, Mebane, NC. Ray is a retired Surgery RN. Before that he was a machinist and has always been a shooter. He has a number of patents on surgical instruments. During his career as a Surgery RN, he worked with the doctors and when they needed a special instrument, he went home and made it. Very interesting guy to talk to. He's really high tech into target and tactical rifles and I learn from him every time we talk. When he retired from the hospital, he went back to his shop and is very busy, building rifles. Check him out on line.

I'm going to bed this least build like he said and see how it does. He's not led me wrong, yet.

He has the PT&G .22-204 reamer, chambering two rifles for me. Very interesting round that I think you'll be hearing more and more about.

DF

Sounds like a very cool guy to get to know...Should work out great

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA