-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
My home is 12-15 miles from the nearest cell tower,so no service. I know there is a weak signal in the drive, since Onstar phone service works fine in the truck. I talked to a guy yesterday that is about 10 miles from tower and he has service. He is using a Verizon booster-looks a lot like a modem with antenna and is wired into his Windstream DSL box. He claimed the dsl and a clear view of the sky were only requirement to get strong signal within 150 feet of his house. This system only works with Verizon phones. Anybody here have experience with a system like the above?

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
I'm using a similar system for my house, which is in a cell phone hole, but has very good internet service.

It has a cell tower receiver and small transmitter that your cell phone "sees". It also hooks in to your internet connection, sort of like VOIP. Once you install it, you have solid phone service via the "micro-tower", through the internet.

I've had two, one from Sprint and now one from AT&T. In both cases, I told the local store that lack of service in my area was holding me back from switching to them, and they cut me some slack on the price of the equipment.

As you were told, they only work for the "right" brand of cell phone.

Last edited by denton; 07/18/16.

Be not weary in well doing.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Maybe not a solution for you. But the IPhone 6 on att can make/ recoeve calls on wifi. Also txt anyone, not just iMessage.

I'm sure other carriers have something similar.

Dave

�The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely to be the one who dropped it.� Lou Holtz

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have one from Sprint & it's called an Airave.

Works fine or as others have said, you can use WiFi calling as most all new(er) phones are able to use that mode.

MM

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
YEP! I too lived in a 'Dead Zone' signal booster was great.

Prior to that had to go to the second floor, hold the phone by the window near the ceiling to get any service.

"...A man's rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box and the cartridge box..." Frederick Douglass, 1867

( . Y . )
IC B2

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
I have a weboost and it works as advertised. It is a true signal booster and not dependent on internet voip. www.weboost.com

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Auger01
I have a weboost and it works as advertised. It is a true signal booster and not dependent on internet voip. www.weboost.com

Checked at the site. Too much $$ for deer camp use. 😂

Dave

�The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely to be the one who dropped it.� Lou Holtz

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by BigDave39355

No disrespect intended, Sir.

How in hell did we "suffer" through the weeks of deer camp back in the day ???

No cell phone for me.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Weboost might be the best for me, since my DSL service is slow. Windstream truly sucks! No fiberoptic here, just the copper lines they installed before 1950. I'll do some more research.

pal Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'm in a cellular black hole. Sprint supplied a free Airave which boosts my signal from 1 bar to 5!

"There's more to optics than meets the eye."--anon

"...most of us would be better off losing half a pound around the waist than half a pound on our rifle."--dhg

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 284LUVR
Originally Posted by BigDave39355

No disrespect intended, Sir.

How in hell did we "suffer" through the weeks of deer camp back in the day ???

No cell phone for me.

No suffering, I see your point. During the week days I hunt alone. I'll txt a buddy when I get in every evening just to let know everything went ok.

Dave

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have a cell phone booster made by ZBoost. It consists of a small antenna I mounted on the side of the house, and a receiver in the house. Works great with all cellphones. Cost was about $200.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by Stoneybroke
I know there is a weak signal in the drive, since Onstar phone service works fine in the truck.

Pretty sure OnStar is satellite fed.

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
I went with a Wilson 4G cellular phone and data booster. Works very well. I have a 40 ft tower for TV antenna so I mounted the phone antennas about 30 ft up. That antenna is directional so you have to locate your service providers tower to be sure you point it correctly. I also bought some high quality shielded coax. Set up probably coast me 500, but it has been worth it. The only catch to this is there must be a signal to boost.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost....
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I don't think Onstar is satellite fed. I tried using the Onstar phone in the Qhehanna wilderness area, where there absolutely no cell service, and the truck could not connect. At the time, I did have a open view of the sky on a clear starlit night.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
At my old house, we had zero cell phone signal with Verizon. My cell is company provided, and they provided me the signal booster. Like you say, it plugged into the internet router we had (Windstream by the way, through the copper phone lines). Anywhere in the house, as well as most spots of my yard then had crystal clear service with the cell phone. Used it for 6 years with no issue.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by Stoneybroke
I don't think Onstar is satellite fed.

Actually, it's both satellite & cell data pioneered by Verizon & the Hughes Corporation.

"OnStar was formed in 1995 as a collaboration between GM, Electronic Data Systems and Hughes Electronics Corporation. Each of the founding companies brought a specific area of expertise to the enterprise: GM brought vehicle design and integration and a distribution system of millions of vehicles, EDS brought much of the systems development and information management and customer service technologies, while Hughes contributed communications and satellite technology and automotive electronics. The OnStar service relied on CDMA mobile phone voice and data communication, primarily via Verizon Wireless in the United States."

So, we were both right.

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Hi Guys,
I had on star in my last couple of trucks and got rid of it before it became competitively priced. I don't know what the cost is now but back then the per minute price was outrageous. After I cancelled it they offered me a really cheap unlimited package price but I had already replaced it with a cell phone. The cell and Bluetooth combo works great.
I also live in a no cell phone reception hole in a rural area of PA. I contacted them when I still had on star because I couldn't make a call and was informed that the emergency services were handled by satellites but the phone service was carried by cell towers. No cell reception, no phone service. So yeah it's a combination. Ask at the dealer's and they will tell you it satellite service.
Lou

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

121 members (673, 7mm_Loco, 300_savage, 1minute, 35WhelenNut, 6mmCreedmoor, 14 invisible), 1,598 guests, and 963 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,207
Posts18,503,863
Members73,994
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.