Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
H
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
H
Besides folks saying they don't need 25x for deer, what are the negatives of either this or their z5 3.5-18x scope . I know the 5-25 has less windage and elevation adjustments, but with their custom elevation cap I can get my desired 650 yards adjustment, they just said some applications might run out of elevation and a 20 degree rail would fix that problem. Actually their tech did the options for my 300 wby and BOTH the 3.5-18 and 25x scopes can only get 650 yard custom turrets so they both have the same usefullness for my needs. Their custom marked turrets only give a full revolution, so I can't adjust it for more elevation.

I have been using a VX3 4.5-14 with BDC and want more magnification for better " buck selection" as much of my hunting I have several bucks to select the best from . Yea, I'm prepared for all the " you don't need that high of magnification" but those are my desires, no need to attempt to change my desires on this upgrade.

I do not like hashmarks and am going back to a plain duplex reticle, the elevation marks seemed like a great idea, I am used to a plain duplex and I am going back to ranging with my ranging bino's, get behind the gun and turn the turret for correct drop, and hopefully shoot.

I have a few sage rat scopes with mildot type reticles, and like them for that use, but I want to go back to a simple duplex and turn turrets. It looks like SWFA and Nightforce have a good reputation in my ballpark needs, but I have a spare Viper PST scope I could try, but I can not get used to the reticle and want to try a duplex scope.

Thanks for any suggestions, other optics choices, etc

Allen

Last edited by hemiallen; 11/04/17.
GB1

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
My buddy has the Z5 5-25 and he's not wild about the reticle. The crosshairs are very fine which is great for target shooting, but they fade into the background during low light conditions. He went as far as contacting Swarovski to see about getting the reticle swapped out for something a little heavier, but that was a no-go.

Those who must raise their voice to get their point across are generally not intelligent enough to do so in any other way.
H
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
H
Thanks

Currently they offer a plex and a w4 plex with windage ticks, This might be special to the model BT for Ballistic turret.

I wonder if his is an earlier reticle, or non ballistic turret option

I might need to call them again Monday, their tech's seem very knowledgeable.

Last edited by hemiallen; 11/04/17.
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Negatives of Swarovski Z5 5-25 for Deer?

First about 25X. A couple years ago I was in a three point or better deer area. Either a fork with eye guards or two points on the main beam would work. Out in the grass I found antlers of two deer above the grass with the 8X binoculars. I sat down and started turning up the z5 5-25X52. Finally when it was on 25X I could make out two broken points about an inch long on one main beam. The other had two nice forks but no eye guards. I love high magnification scopes.

To answer the title question....
I bought a Swarovski z5 5-25X52, Nightforce 12-42X56, and Bushnell 6500 4 1/2-30X50. Since I heard all my life how good Swarovskis are I figured it would blow the others away. Not so. With my first line chart, which had several lines about 1/4" wide and 1/4" apart, I entered a new hobby. The Nightforce didn't even come off 12X at 521 yards. At that range the Bushnell was on 15 1/2X and the Swarovski was on 16 1/2X. I figured there was something wrong with the z5 so returned if for a refund. The second and third were not as good as the first one. The forth matched the first one so I kept it because it was four ounces lighter than the Bushnell; and at two pounds forget the Nightforce for a light rifle.

Sighting in was just as much a surprise. After bore sighting I fired three shots and made an adjustment to the left of three inches. The next three shots landed in the group of the first three. I twisted the windage three more inches. This time there was a group six inches to the left of the bull. I fiddled with it as much as necessary and eventually it was zeroed at 100. Then I adjusted it for 300 and set the Ballistic Turret. It stayed.

I was planning a sheep hunt so started practicing with the Ballistic Turret. It was very consistent until the week I was leaving for the hunt. I got it to stay sighted at 300 and took it on the hunt. When I returned I sent it in for repair. When it came back I started getting ready for a caribou hunt by dialing again. Again the week before I was to leave the Ballistic Turret messed up again. So I zeroed it for 300 and went caribou hunting.

When I returned I sent it to customer service again. This time they charged me $30 and told me they had to replace the erector again. I advertised it on the 'net with full disclosure of its history. A guy bought it and I never heard from him again so I guess he had better luck with it than I did.

Now I have three Bushnell 6500 4 1/2-30X50 and settled for holding for range. I have three because Son John took one and I have two rifles.

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
I have the Z5 3.5-18 with 4w. I have owned the plex and the 4w. Both it and their plex is plenty heavy for hunting even in low light. Their older plex version was very thin but I think it was changed about 2010 and is at least as thick as a Leupold plex now.

IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I'm amazed you pen a completely new post each and every time you respond to a Swarovski Z5 thread. A quick Google search lists 527 results........

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
To the OP, I have both a 3-18 BRX and a 5-25 BT 4W. They're both on varmint rifles, a 222RM and a 22-250, respectively. IMHO, both of these reticles are too thin for situations with limited light. The BRH and PLEX would be much better choices. Both scopes are a bit long, one longer than the other. The view is fantastic and they're very lightweight. If you're quarry is black and white optical charts, I've read glowing reviews of the Bushnell 6500.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
I have 2 Z5 3.5-18 BRH, one on a 17 HMR walking prairie dog shooter, the other on my R8, 6.5 Creedmoor. I've had no issues with either and both are performing well for me.

There are 2 rules to success:

1. Never tell everything that you know.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Ringman
Negatives of Swarovski Z5 5-25 for Deer?

First about 25X. A couple years ago I was in a three point or better deer area. Either a fork with eye guards or two points on the main beam would work. Out in the grass I found antlers of two deer above the grass with the 8X binoculars. I sat down and started turning up the z5 5-25X52. Finally when it was on 25X I could make out two broken points about an inch long on one main beam. The other had two nice forks but no eye guards. I love high magnification scopes.

To answer the title question....
I bought a Swarovski z5 5-25X52, Nightforce 12-42X56, and Bushnell 6500 4 1/2-30X50. Since I heard all my life how good Swarovskis are I figured it would blow the others away. Not so. With my first line chart, which had several lines about 1/4" wide and 1/4" apart, I entered a new hobby. The Nightforce didn't even come off 12X at 521 yards. At that range the Bushnell was on 15 1/2X and the Swarovski was on 16 1/2X. I figured there was something wrong with the z5 so returned if for a refund. The second and third were not as good as the first one. The forth matched the first one so I kept it because it was four ounces lighter than the Bushnell; and at two pounds forget the Nightforce for a light rifle.

Sighting in was just as much a surprise. After bore sighting I fired three shots and made an adjustment to the left of three inches. The next three shots landed in the group of the first three. I twisted the windage three more inches. This time there was a group six inches to the left of the bull. I fiddled with it as much as necessary and eventually it was zeroed at 100. Then I adjusted it for 300 and set the Ballistic Turret. It stayed.

I was planning a sheep hunt so started practicing with the Ballistic Turret. It was very consistent until the week I was leaving for the hunt. I got it to stay sighted at 300 and took it on the hunt. When I returned I sent it in for repair. When it came back I started getting ready for a caribou hunt by dialing again. Again the week before I was to leave the Ballistic Turret messed up again. So I zeroed it for 300 and went caribou hunting.

When I returned I sent it to customer service again. This time they charged me $30 and told me they had to replace the erector again. I advertised it on the 'net with full disclosure of its history. A guy bought it and I never heard from him again so I guess he had better luck with it than I did.

Now I have three Bushnell 6500 4 1/2-30X50 and settled for holding for range. I have three because Son John took one and I have two rifles.

You continue to show your weak logic with your lines and looking through a peep hole. Why don't you try comparing pillows sometime, you may find you are better suited to that type of comparison.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
H
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
H
Thanks for the replies.

I do have a Bushnell 4200 24x max mildot scope on a rimfire rifle I can compare to my other scopes .

It seems, reading other threads, many of the non NF scopes seem to be hit and miss on tracking issues. I am surprised, but it was one of the reasons I bought the Boone and Crockett reticle, more for speed vs knowledge of errors in adjustments. I hoped the reticle would eliminate the need for turning turrets, but my one field experience a month ago got me wanting both more magnification and turrets vs reticle for longer than 200 yard shots. I probably need more range time on what I have, but I do want around 20x or so over my 14x max Leupold on my main deer rig.

Thanks

Allen

IC B3

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
I like the 3.5-18 Z5 but not for the higher magnification. I would be just as happy it it was a 2-10,actually more happy. I bought it for the beefed up erector over the Z3 series and the longer tube for mounting ease,plus the small windage cap which I needed because of a high ejection on my Forbes.

I just don't really understand the need or desire for higher magnification for hunting. If it works for you though,go for it.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
"need or desire for higher magnification for hunting" are two different things. A friend of mine can see better with naked eyes than I can with 7X binoculars. Obviously he doesn't NEED much magnification. I DESIRE to verify what I find with my binoculars therefore I NEED more magnification. Perhaps hemiallen is the same. Maybe he just wants to play with more. Either way more power to him.

Everyday Hunter
H
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
H
Thanks.

Yep, my hunting needs are different than others. Open country , and if conditions allow, higher magnification is a bonus and not a negative.

LOL, I didn't see your reply before typing this Ringman, even though it looks like I replied to your post!

Last edited by hemiallen; 11/05/17.
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
They are limited for adjustments but they are a great scope for lightweight rifles.

A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
I run a 3.5-18 BRH on my 6.5 SAUM.

It tracks fine, offers consistent zero and is the best hunting glass I own. On targets the March scopes are superior in their resolving power, but when you want lightweight, great resolution and exceptional twilight performance it is Swarovski or Kahles (possibly the higher end Zeiss and Leicas too).

My two criticisms of the 3.5-18 are

the field of view at 3.5x is fairly narrow. If you are coming from a Leupold 4.5-14 then it will be relatively large.

and

the fast focus ocular is a solution in search of a problem. I have put electrical tape on mine to stop it twisting out of focus whilst the rifle is slung.

H
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
H
Thanks

the VX3 4.5-14 has 19.90 to 7.40 feet at 100 yards

Swaro 4.5-25 has 21.9 - 4.5'

Are these numbers incorrect?

I also see the Zeiss Conquest HD5 5-25×50 21 feet to 4.2 feet at 100 yards, but the Zeiss seems to get lower reviews than the Swaro over on SWFA's website

Allen

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
hemiallen,

My 5-25X52 Swarovski definitely displays a wider field of view than my Bushnell 4 1/2-30X50.

Everyday Hunter
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Yes. a 50 mm objective is
too
damned
big.

I know cuz I have the Minox Illuminated flavor of this scope. The optics are very good, and it's still not worth it. Mistake on my part.

I do not entertain hypotheticals. The world itself is vexing enough. -- Col. Stonehill
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Talus_in_Arizona
too
damned
big.

I know cuz I have the Minox Illuminated flavor of this scope. The optics are very good, and it's still not worth it. Mistake on my part.

Apparently lots of folks making that same mistake, but they aren't sharp enough to realize it's a mistake.

Everyday Hunter
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Talus_in_Arizona
too
damned
big.

Too big for what?

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

570 members (10gaugemag, 1badf350, 007FJ, 10Glocks, 1234, 10ring1, 73 invisible), 2,401 guests, and 1,275 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,307
Posts18,505,448
Members73,998
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.