Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 12 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 11 12
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
I have come to rely on the monos for predictable and consistent results. The muzzle velocities are in the range of 3050-3100. There is plenty of penetration. In Africa the little hunting dogs easily find animals leaking from two holes.

That said, I have noticed that “regular” cup and lead core bullets with muzzle velocities in the 2600 range often result in animals going less distance especially with lung shots. I used some Speer Hot-Core bullets that worked very well. Same with Hornady SST’s. All were well placed. The fragmentation ruined more lung tissue than a similar hit with a mono.

Very good shot placement rules. Bad shot placement will treat you to a rodeo regardless of the cartridge/bullet combo unless you plan on shooting things less than 15-20 pounds.

“Perfection is achieved not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away”.
Antoine de Saint-Exupery. Posted by Brad.
GB1

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Oh, if I was dealing with a grizzly that was coming closer, I would prefer a 308 Win with a 150 TTSX over a 300 magnum with a soft cup and core. There the goal is to penetrate to disable the nervous system or break down locomotion. Plus I might get in more than one well placed shot.

“Perfection is achieved not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away”.
Antoine de Saint-Exupery. Posted by Brad.
CRS Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
It is my subjective opinion that the cup and core bullets hit harder than the monometals, probable due to more energy being lost in the animal resulting in more tissue destruction.

I shot 130gr NBT's out of my 270 this year with no performance issues. But between my Dad's 130gr Hornady SP, son's 243 -90gr NBT, other son's Federal blue box 100gr 243, and friends 150gr Ballistic silvertip on an elk. Found more lead fragments while processing than I have in a lot of years.

Yes, poor shot placement=rodeo, period.

As long one uses a suitable bullet for the job, shot placement is number 1 priority.

If one wants the best visual of a hit,
-bigger diameter
-higher velocity
-softer bullet
-CNS or structural skeletal compromise

Arcus Venator
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
I feel ( of course this is subjective) that one of the reasons the monos seem to kill big animals well is the wound channel is longer, usually the same size all the way through. Look at pics of ballistic gel shot with them and then with cup n core...granted, on lung shots, that big, initial cavity/fragmentation does a number...but then the wound channel becomes smaller, even if it does go all the way through. Then the mono will have that high velocity, big initial cavity but the rest of the channel is much larger than the cup n core. Just an opinion, but it really shows up when you hit big bones ( secondary fragments). I have had some slower kills with smaller than 30cal monos on lighter game (deer size and exotics) I learned to take out high shoulder or neck/shoulder junction. I shot a lot of game with the 220 Swift and the 55gr Trophy Bonded one year. It visibly "shocked them" so hard they fell, then got back up or were trying to before I hit em again. ( axis, blackbuck in Texas, mule deer in Utah) One 300# hog at 25yds dropped with a head/neck junction shot with a .224 TTH 75gr Swift Scirocco, but the bullet fragmented on the spine, no matter. I made a 184 yd neck/shoulder junction broadside shot on a big Scimitar Horned Oryx with a 85gr XBT going 2900fps from a long barreled 6x47mm ( 222 mag necked up) complete pass through, DRT. I then later that afternoon shot two jackrabbits at 50yds that acted like they were never hit, shot them both 2 times! So...monos need more resistance to open well ( the bigger "X" or mushroom, so to speak). I shot a medium sized cow elk at 200yds with a Sierra 300 SBT/2600fps from a 375 H&H ( I just "had" to! :)) made a 4" exit but she just humped up and froze, then I popped her on the high shoulder ( there was a godawful ravine just 40yds from her!) It tore a huge hole in her of course.
I was getting ready for a South Africa trip, had run out of time so just used the Winchester 270 Failsafe factory load there. I killed a running warthog "instantly" with a shot through the hips at 75yds! No wasted meat either!
I also shot a zebra on what I "thought" was the shoulder ( he was standing in dappled shade and those stripes messed me up!) Anyhow,he was turned further away and I hit his shoulder but just the front lobe of his left lung. This was with my friends 300 Winmag and 180 XBT (right at 3100fps) at 150yds. The thick hide closed on that 30cal entrance hole, made no exit. He ran off with the group ( about a dozen) we followed for 6 hrs! The only blood was when he brushed his side against brush ( very little blood) the first 60yds, then just little specs...and every now and then a big "gout" of blood when he coughed. I had exchanged my friends ( he wanted me to try it) 300winmag for my 35 Whelen AI (250X2550-2600fps) when we caught up he was limping straight away around 125yds. I popped him at the root of tail, bullet ran alongside the spine for about 2.5ft, he dropped, flopped and got back up in a dead run, broadside and I hit him again, behind the shoulder (lung high heart) and he rolled over like a jackrabbit, done for! The 35 cal holes "stayed open, blood everywhere! So, for "me"...I'm convinced bigger is better, ha. smile

Last edited by Jim_Knight; 01/11/18.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by memtb
Originally Posted by savage62
Why a 338 when smaller guns will get the job done

Why Not! memtb

Amen! If a guy or gal can handle one, use it. It will work very well on elk sized critters....

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
IC B2

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by gunner500
Originally Posted by beretzs
The bullet pictured is the 210 Swift Scirocco. Shot was 151 yards give or take a couple steps since I didn’t range prior to the shot. Bullet broke the near side leg on entry and was buried in the hide on the far side behind the front leg. Been shooting BBCs and Swift’s a little more the last few years and they tend to do the same thing, expand wide and wreck everything real decent but they will be found in the far side quite often. I’m okay with that. No animal from either Bullet has wandered more than 25-30 yards. Most are laying right where I hit them.

Not a 338 WM, but a 338-06 question, I shoot 250 gr NPT's and SAF's in my 338 WM, love em, I have a re-bored pre-64 M-70 that was a rusty bored 270 WCF rifle outta Oregon, JES worked his magic on it, it is now a very accurate 338-06 that fires 210 gr partitions to 2800 fps, my 'Smith installed a stainless M-70 trigger and cerakoted all the steel, question is, do You or MuleDeer or any of the other experienced elk hunters think this would make a good backup elk rifle?

I love heavy or even extra heavy for caliber bullets, what I'm reading here is the 210 NPT may be plenty, the rifle in question wears a 3.5-10x40 matte Leupold scope in Leupold DD rings and bases, it all sits nicely bedded in an old Pacific Research stock, and most likely weighs less than 8lbs all up.

Thanks in advance.

gunner, that sounds like the perfect elk rifle to me... I'd shoot the 210's and rock on man...

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Dillonbuck,

Please allow me a chance to answer.

I went through the same thing when looking at longer-range computer ballistics with the .300 and .338 Winchester Magnums years ago, both of which I've used extensively over the decades. It seemed the .300 would indeed be superior with bullets around 200 grains, but when actually shooting both rounds with 200-grain bullets there just wasn't any noticeable difference, either in wind-drift or trajectory, out to 500 yards. And that's far as I've ever shot at big game. (Might shoot longer in the future, but maybe not.) This was somewhat puzzling, but eventually I concluded the 200-grain Ballistic Tip's BC was higher than listed by Nosler. Or at least it is in typical hunting conditions in my part of Montana.

Built my .338 in the 1980's, because like a lot of hunters (including Gunner :-) I thought heavier bullets had to be superior on heavier game. I'd also heard the .338 kicked HARD with 250-grain bullets, so initially built the rifle on the heavy side, around 9 pounds with scope.

Eventually discovered the .338 doesn't kick nearly as bad as most people suggested, so started "whittling" it down. Replaced the medium-heavy barrel with a slimmer one, and the stock with a lighter model. Eventually it weighed 7-1/2 pounds with scope, and while I initially used heavier bullets, I also started using lighter bullets because, well, that's my job. Discovered (unlike Gunner) that lighter bullets made right will do the same things as heavier bullets, and maybe better for most hunting.

This was partly because my .338 kicked less than the .300 Winchester Magnums I've hunted with, when using 200-grain bullets. This wasn't due to stock shape, because one of the .300's used the same Bansner High Tech stock as on my .338--and weighed a half pound more. But with 200's at the same 3000 fps, the .338 seemed noticeably milder. I assume this is because of using somewhat less powder, plus the reduced "rocket effect" of the muzzle gas in the bigger .338 bore, but there it is.

Now, I don't hunt all that much with either .300 magnums or the .338 Winchester anymore, having found that with good bullets, smaller rounds are totally adequate for elk and similar-sized African game. I regard my New Ultra Light Arms .30-06 as my big rifle anymore, like my wife did almost 20 years ago when she took it to Africa and killed gemsbok, blue wildebeest and kudu easily with 165-grain Fail Safes. Since then Eileen has dropped even lower: Her last two elk, both mature cows, were taken with the .257 Roberts and the 100-grain Barnes TTSX and the .308 Winchester with the 130 TTSX. One dropped on the spot, and the other went 25 yards before falling, both with angling shots, one quartering away and one quartering toward. The cow taken with the .308 was a big one, and the "little" bullet broke the near shoulder and was recovered barely hanging from the ribs on the opposite side.

That said, I am thinking about using my .338 again, mostly because in the past few years we've had grizzlies move into the mountain ranges on both sides of our Montana valley. At my stage of "middle age" I appreciate my .338's light weight even more, and if the odds go against me while hunting the local mountains, and somehow a grizzly gets actively involved, I'd like the .338 in my hands a little more than my .30-06. But I also know, from having shot it alongside the .300 Winchester Magnum that it doesn't give up anything at any of the modestly longer ranges I might shoot at an elk. I know it wouldn't be any more effective on a grizzly than any of my .300's, but it weighs and kicks a little less.

Now, all of this is indeed rifle-loony nitpicking, but it's why I would personally use my .338 over any of my .300's.

Good post. The highlighted portion is something some people just don't get. One of the reasons I choose the 338wm over the 300wm as well...

BSA MAGA
jmh3 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Dillonbuck,

Eventually discovered the .338 doesn't kick nearly as bad as most people suggested, so started "whittling" it down. Replaced the medium-heavy barrel with a slimmer one, and the stock with a lighter model. Eventually it weighed 7-1/2 pounds with scope, and while I initially used heavier bullets, I also started using lighter bullets because, well, that's my job. Discovered (unlike Gunner) that lighter bullets made right will do the same things as heavier bullets, and maybe better for most hunting.

This was partly because my .338 kicked less than the .300 Winchester Magnums I've hunted with, when using 200-grain bullets. This wasn't due to stock shape, because one of the .300's used the same Bansner High Tech stock as on my .338--and weighed a half pound more. But with 200's at the same 3000 fps, the .338 seemed noticeably milder. I assume this is because of using somewhat less powder, plus the reduced "rocket effect" of the muzzle gas in the bigger .338 bore, but there it is.

Now, I don't hunt all that much with either .300 magnums or the .338 Winchester anymore, having found that with good bullets, smaller rounds are totally adequate for elk and similar-sized African game. I regard my New Ultra Light Arms .30-06 as my big rifle anymore, like my wife did almost 20 years ago when she took it to Africa and killed gemsbok, blue wildebeest and kudu easily with 165-grain Fail Safes. Since then Eileen has dropped even lower: Her last two elk, both mature cows, were taken with the .257 Roberts and the 100-grain Barnes TTSX and the .308 Winchester with the 130 TTSX. One dropped on the spot, and the other went 25 yards before falling, both with angling shots, one quartering away and one quartering toward. The cow taken with the .308 was a big one, and the "little" bullet broke the near shoulder and was recovered barely hanging from the ribs on the opposite side.

That said, I am thinking about using my .338 again, mostly because in the past few years we've had grizzlies move into the mountain ranges on both sides of our Montana valley. At my stage of "middle age" I appreciate my .338's light weight even more, and if the odds go against me while hunting the local mountains, and somehow a grizzly gets actively involved, I'd like the .338 in my hands a little more than my .30-06. But I also know, from having shot it alongside the .300 Winchester Magnum that it doesn't give up anything at any of the modestly longer ranges I might shoot at an elk. I know it wouldn't be any more effective on a grizzly than any of my .300's, but it weighs and kicks a little less.

Now, all of this is indeed rifle-loony nitpicking, but it's why I would personally use my .338 over any of my .300's.

Good post. The highlighted portion is something some people just don't get. One of the reasons I choose the 338wm over the 300wm as well...

My first rifle was a Remington 600 in 6mm. I weighed about 100lbs at the time, the rifle had no recoil pad, and the stock didn't fit me. Because I was new to hunting and needed to practice, my dad would reload 4 or 5 boxes at a time and I'd shoot 80-100 consecutive shots from the bench, sitting, prone, etc.. Despite the small caliber, I developed an intolerance to that particular rifle's recoil. I still have the rifle for sentimental reasons, but I don't hunt with it because, to this day, I have to make a conscious effort not to flinch. Ten years later when I got my first real job (and was 6'2" and 200lbs) I bought a properly fitted .338 with a recoil pad. The subjective "feel" of the recoil was so different that my mind did not associate it with the flinch that I had developed with the 6mm. I've never had an issue shooting a .338 with any projectile. My point is, there is no objective measurement to justify my different reactions to the two calibers. Sometimes in all of our efforts to quantify everything as "scientifically" as possible, we lose sight of the fact that hunting is a very subjective experience. I personally enjoy shooting medium bore rifles. I also like the "SMACK" that a medium bore rifle makes when it hits something. Is there any objective justification for any of it? No. Does it enhance my experience? Yes. For those of us who aren't in the industry and aren't responsible for educating others, our own experience is the paramount consideration. So, to answer the question, "Why a .338 when a smaller gun will get the job done?", because that's what I enjoy.

------------------------
John
CRS Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
jmh3,
Very similar experience to yours. First rifle was a Remington model 788 in 243. Middle of summer, plastic butt plate, tank top, no hearing protection, shooting factory 100gr. Did I mention that I was a scrawny 12 yo kid, small for my age. Ears ringing, bruised shoulder, not a very good first rifle experience.

Hated that rifle, first year shot a buck that we lost after 5 miles, second year shot a spike in a cornfield that went back to eating, and acted like it was not even hit. Traded that rifle for a Remington 700 BDL 270 and never looked back.

Now, both my boys have 243's, aargh! Never have gotten over that first one. mad

Arcus Venator
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
SU35,

I also might use my 9.3 Barsness-Sisk for elk hunting in the nearby mountains where grizzlies have started to increase in number. It's even lighter than the .338, about 7-1/4 pounds scoped, but gets basically the same velocity out of 250-grain bullets. (Plus, it's already taken a grizzly in Alaska.) The only trouble with the 9.3 is it's not as useful for hunting more open country as the .338 with 200-210 grain bullets.

But in open grizzly country I have also hunted quite a bit with rifles chambered for lighter cartridges, so far with no problems, despite bear signs (and sometimes bears) being quite evident. Once I backpacked a load of caribou meat to a boat tied up on a lakeshore in the Northwest Territories, with the rifle in my hands a single-shot .308 Winchester. A sow with cubs had been seen in the same general area the day before by some of my hunting companions, but I'd also just climbed up the open hillside I was packing the meat down three hours earlier, and hadn't seen any bear sign. The .308 didn't seem ideal, but it was a long way from being unarmed, and the odds leaned strongly against any sudden surprises.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
IC B3

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J
SU35,

I also might use my 9.3 Barsness-Sisk for elk hunting in the nearby mountains where grizzlies have started to increase in number. It's even lighter than the .338, about 7-1/4 pounds scoped, but gets basically the same velocity out of 250-grain bullets. (Plus, it's already taken a grizzly in Alaska.) The only trouble with the 9.3 is it's not as useful for hunting more open country as the .338 with 200-210 grain bullets.

But in open grizzly country I have also hunted quite a bit with rifles chambered for lighter cartridges, so far with no problems, despite bear signs (and sometimes bears) being quite evident. Once I backpacked a load of caribou meat to a boat tied up on a lakeshore in the Northwest Territories, with the rifle in my hands a single-shot .308 Winchester. A sow with cubs had been seen in the same general area the day before by some of my hunting companions, but I'd also just climbed up the open hillside I was packing the meat down three hours earlier, and hadn't seen any bear sign. The .308 didn't seem ideal, but it was a long way from being unarmed, and the odds leaned strongly against any sudden surprises.

Does this mean bigger is better hits harder?

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
when we have hunted in grizzly bear country for elk, for the ease of a small group we all carried a 338 win. mags,only so we all had the ability to share ammo with all in the party , my old friend wanted it that way and it was his tent and I was fine with it .

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
jwp,

Maybe, though I doubt one of Montana's mountain grizzlies would refuse to fall after being hit in the right place with, say, a 165-grain monolithic from a .30 caliber. I simply don't have enough personal experience on grizzlies to make a judgment, so using the .338 or 9.3 would be more for psychological comfort than any conviction that it would work better than, say, a .30-06 with the same shot placement.

As noted, my one grizzly was taken with the 9.3, a 7-1/2 foot fall bear heavy enough that, after it died in a slight depression, required both me and the guide to roll it over for skinning. I put two shots into the bear, one at about 65-70 yards, and another at maybe 50 yards as the bear turned and ran angling slightly closer past us. I did not see any evidence of a "hard hit" on either shot, perhaps because while both bullets were well-placed, and either would have killed the bear, neither hit major bone. However, I also know the 9.3 will definitely penetrate a good-sized grizzly more than sufficiently with the load used.

On that same Alaskan hunt my hunting partner took a bigger grizzly with the .308 Winchester.

Phil Shoemaker has performed more back-up on really big brown bears than anybody else I know, using a wide variety of rounds, I believe up to the .505 Gibbs. He still prefers the .458 Winchester he acquired many years ago for stopping wounded bears, but has stopped quite a few with the .30-06, the last one maybe 3-4 years ago with 220 Partitions. And it was a lot bigger than any grizzly I might encounter around here.

He also killed a charging brown bear last summer with a palm-sized 9mm semiauto. It wasn't what he considered the ideal gun for the job, but it was what he had--and he'd thoroughly tested the ammo beforehand, finding it penetrated deeply. And one of the 147-grain bullets that killed the bear went through both shoulders before stopping under the hide on the far side.

The two most experienced bear guides I personally know are Phil on brown bears, and Jim Shockey on black bears. I've discussed bear rifles and bear shooting with both considerably (Jim on a hunt I did with his outfit on Vancouver Island, where the black bears are plenty big) and the most interesting thing both said is they don't advise their clients to shoot for bone to break a bear down. This is because they've seen too many clients become so fixated on breaking a shoulder, they forget to aim for the interior vital organs!

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J
jwp,

Maybe, though I doubt one of Montana's mountain grizzlies would refuse to fall after being hit in the right place with, say, a 165-grain monolithic from a .30 caliber. I simply don't have enough personal experience on grizzlies to make a judgment, so using the .338 or 9.3 would be more for psychological comfort than any conviction that it would work better than, say, a .30-06 with the same shot placement.

As noted, my one grizzly was taken with the 9.3, a 7-1/2 foot fall bear heavy enough that, after it died in a slight depression, required both me and the guide to roll it over for skinning. I put two shots into the bear, one at about 65-70 yards, and another at maybe 50 yards as the bear turned and ran angling slightly closer past us. I did not see any evidence of a "hard hit" on either shot, perhaps because while both bullets were well-placed, and either would have killed the bear, neither hit major bone. However, I also know the 9.3 will definitely penetrate a good-sized grizzly more than sufficiently with the load used.

On that same Alaskan hunt my hunting partner took a bigger grizzly with the .308 Winchester.

Phil Shoemaker has performed more back-up on really big brown bears than anybody else I know, using a wide variety of rounds, I believe up to the .505 Gibbs. He still prefers the .458 Winchester he acquired many years ago for stopping wounded bears, but has stopped quite a few with the .30-06, the last one maybe 3-4 years ago with 220 Partitions. And it was a lot bigger than any grizzly I might encounter around here.

He also killed a charging brown bear last summer with a palm-sized 9mm semiauto. It wasn't what he considered the ideal gun for the job, but it was what he had--and he'd thoroughly tested the ammo beforehand, finding it penetrated deeply. And one of the 147-grain bullets that killed the bear went through both shoulders before stopping under the hide on the far side.

The two most experienced bear guides I personally know are Phil on brown bears, and Jim Shockey on black bears. I've discussed bear rifles and bear shooting with both considerably (Jim on a hunt I did with his outfit on Vancouver Island, where the black bears are plenty big) and the most interesting thing both said is they don't advise their clients to shoot for bone to break a bear down. This is because they've seen too many clients become so fixated on breaking a shoulder, they forget to aim for the interior vital organs!

Does this mean “bigger hits harder” or “kills better”? No matter how ever so slight.

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Physics is physics.

Bigger will always hit harder, all other things equal.

Of course, that does not mean more = better.

Or we’d all hunt with 50 BMGs.

“Live free or die. Death is not the worst of evils.” - General John Stark.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
jorge's bullet theory: like tits, the bigger the better.... smile

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
jwp,

As noted somewhere earlier in this thread, the longer I hunt the less difference I can see in how different cartridges kill, given bullets that penetrate and expand sufficiently.

John Steinbeck
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Might add that I started off believing the opposite, because so many other people did. It took quite a few animals before that started to change.

John Steinbeck
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
kill is kill

Then there is KILL is KILL! I like this one.

That Nula 06 loaded with a 200 NP would suit me just fine in Montana griz country.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Yeah, it's actually probably what I'll end up carrying, because it's lighter than my .338 or 9.3! (Even with its new 3-10x Nightforce SHV...)

John Steinbeck
Page 5 of 12 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 11 12

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

128 members (24HourCampFireGuy50, 69sportfury, akpls, ak_Rick, 17 invisible), 17,102 guests, and 987 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,879
Posts18,538,153
Members74,050
Most Online20,796

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.