Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by pathfinder76
I can trim cases after dark in my basement. I cannot fireform that way. AI chambers are a Kool-aid drinkers champagne. They create more real world problems than they solve.

Well said.

Another point with AI chambers - you gotta deal with picking up brass. Nothing quite as fun as ejecting a specially fireformed case into a snowbank while shooting at a coyote, then digging for five minutes trying to find your precious shell casing.

GB1

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
My next 243 will say 6 Creedmoor on the case head.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
My next 243 will say 6 Creedmoor on the case head.

or a 6XC for me

8 grs less powder every shot over the std 243

Last edited by tikkanut; 01/28/18.

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I can trim cases after dark in my basement. I cannot fireform that way. AI chambers are a Kool-aid drinkers champagne. They create more real world problems than they solve.

Quit being a drama queen grin

My experience has been the opposite. I can fireform cases at steel and animals. I cannot trim cases that way wink

Putting together a 6 Creed presently, but if picking up brass and buying a set of dies are real challenges for some guys, I can understand why they’d feel so strongly about AI chambers.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by prairie_goat

Well said.

Another point with AI chambers - you gotta deal with picking up brass. Nothing quite as fun as ejecting a specially fireformed case into a snowbank while shooting at a coyote, then digging for five minutes trying to find your precious shell casing.

I handload, so picking up my brass, regardless of chambering, is nothing new to me...

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
You could remove the ejector. I plan to do that on my bench gun, where I load singly anyway.

Last edited by Legionnaire; 01/28/18.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Can't remember the last time a piece of my brass hit the ground. Catch it on the way out but I can see getting excited and jacking them onto the ground. I once caught myself with a hand full of 22 Mag brass when the smoke cleared.
As they say ( Different strokes for different folks)

I am curious about the real world problems though.

Last edited by 6MMWASP; 01/28/18.
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
I am pretty happy that folks make the AI stuff far more drama and work than it really is.....I have picked up a couple of smoking deals from guys like that.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I shoot 'em all and 6mm Rem and 6mm Rem AI,would be the last on any/all lists. Too easy to whoop in a S/A and too easy to whoop in a L/A. #4 and #3 from right,respectively.

[Linked Image]

The 243AI is a great chambering and I've shot THE fhuqk outta it,but a "sedate" 21" Kreedmire will squirt 108 ELD's at 3050fps and there's not much it won't reliably do. ES and SD are amazingly trite,Precision a given and Alpha brass has no equal. I've got a couple Custom Rifles so chambered and with .110" freebore,it's no thang to squirt same from OEM mag confines. Add throat or projectile length and an AICS DBM is a nice place to be,allowing one to retain binders for added rugged reliability. That is always a nice place to be.

[Linked Image]

While I kinda like the XC(4th from left),I much prefer the Kreedmire,both due case design and brasstitude. Though in fairness,with but a coupla steps,one can form positive headspaced XC Virgins from Alpha 6.5 Kreedmire donors. Hint. Hold the Fluff however and pass the Kreed.

[Linked Image]

It's never not interesting,to toss more than a few like bore sized rifles in different chamberings in the crummy and extrapolate 'em side by each,in like conditions. Mild manners,exceedingly modest ES/SD and unerring consistency,are literal Giant Killers. Much to be said for copious erector travel,unwavering tracking and an amazing penchant to retain zero too. All are in a hurry to overlook that,which is never not funny. Hint.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

A 270,6 Grendel or 6BR will reliably blow minds(top 3 rifles above)...assuming 1-8" or more RPM(none of mine are faster than 1-7"). I'll happily take them mild manners,as they are all too happy to stretch wayyyyyyyyyy beyond the 1000yd line,if only because I do so daily. Hint.

Now and again it's fun to whoop out a Niche Toy,but the Utilitarian stuff is far more useful and forgiving.

[Linked Image]

Easy for me to say,if only because I shoot it all.

Hint.

Just saying.

Good talk.

Laughing!...............

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
M
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by keith
[quote=6MMWASP]I would add that a 6 Remington is a long action cartridge.

Not always. I had a Rem 722 in .244, the 722's were short action rifles. I still have a factory 6mm Remington Model 70 Featherweight SA that I've never had any issues with. My favorite 6mm Rem. is my Ruger No. 1B. No action length to worry about.

I can understand your thinking though. With today's trend toward the >100g 6mm bullets most SA's don't have enough magazine length to accomodate them.

Some people are educated beyond their intelligence.
IC B3

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
The magazine on a rem 788 let's you run the bullet way out there. I am shooting berger 105 s in it. Not sure if there is another standard factory mag that allows for a longer oal. I have a 8 twist barrel to spin them.

Last edited by atse; 01/29/18.
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
243 by the way.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Stick, are you shooting moly coated bullets exclusively in your .6mm's?

I see the un-moly'ed bullets in the upper picture with the load notes on them, but that's the way I do my "standards" loads for returning to seating die settings for a given bullet weight.

Ed

"Not in an open forum, where truth has less value than opinions, where all opinions are equally welcome regardless of their origins, rationale, inanity, or truth, where opinions are neither of equal value nor decisive." Ken Howell

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
When the throat goes in my 1-7.7" .243 Number 1V, I'm thinking of going with a 6mm/06 AI rechamber to clean it up and get some more mileage out of the barrel. Otherwise, it'll get a 6mm CM tube, or maybe the Grendel version, since the dang thing's too heavy to carry up the hills. Not much need for anything over .24 caliber around here. Hell, .22 would cover most stuff if VA allowed it for deer.

What fresh Hell is this?
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Have 2 .243 std and 2 .243 A.I. all are 8 twist usually carry one of the A.I. in my jeep don't spend a lot of time at the range with my A.I.s I have a good fixed load for each rifle, that's fast, accurate and kills real well.

What a rifle and caliber does in the field is what's important to me, as I never know what will come up at any given time or how close or how far.or how big or how small or how pissed off it will be. I don't go looking for big critter's with my .243 A.I. I have other guns that will handle anything, but if they are not in my jeep when the SHTF, so I use what I have handy, I will say I am surprised at some of the big critters that have fallen with a well placed shot from my .243 A.I.s and the penetration and damage caused by 105 gr. bullet. Rio7

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
When are we going to have the discussions about

The real world problems caused by the AI chambered rifles
That pesky belt on belted magnums
That terrible boom associated with un-suppressed, un-civilized rifles
The superiority of the 6.5 Creed over the ugly old 270 Winchester for the non turret twister
And lastly, most importantly how life would suck without the 223 Ai thread.

Looking for the smile face but can't find it.

Last edited by 6MMWASP; 01/30/18.
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Hmmmmmmm.....

A belted .270 case necked down to .223..... then AI’d and shot Suppressed.

Genius Mike!

You better pray to the God of Skinny Punks that this wind doesn't pick up......
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

127 members (673, 300_savage, 1minute, 35WhelenNut, 6mmCreedmoor, 2five7, 13 invisible), 1,660 guests, and 986 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,207
Posts18,503,862
Members73,994
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.