-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Such a serious topic with so much information out there. Sometimes it's hard to know what's effective and what might or might not work.

For instance, some people eat garlic or onions as a natural deterrent. If it works for them, GREAT! Keep doing what works. For me, all it does is earn me a night sleeping on the couch and some heartburn.

My wife swears by covering her entire body in baby oil or Skin So Soft prior to applying her Deet spray. She claims that the ticks do not like the oily surface when trying to attach. She has never had a tick attached to her, so I do not doubt it's effectiveness. Others claim tree tea oil does the same.

Personally, some things I do that I don't see mentioned often are as follows:

1. I start out by using a repellent-based body wash and shampoo called Top Secret BioShield.
Whether guys think it's effective or not is up to them. I surely wouldn't use it alone. I still apply deet after my shower, of course. Once again, just another line of defense that is worth it to me.

https://www.bioshield-rx.com/shop/bioshield-body-wash-and-shampoo-12oz/

2. Wear a tight fitting base layer. Yes, compression wear. You can find compression wear so breathable and lightweight that it can be worn in even the hottest conditions. The tighter fitting the better, but make sure it's comfortable. This provides a layer that ticks have a really hard time getting under, which is a great line of defense. So important. Yes, I personally look like a fat stuffed piece of polish sausage in the stuff, but my camo goes over top, so no other hunter's get to witness my manly physique. eek

3. I always wear rubber boots turkey hunting, but no matter what boots you wear I highly recommend not tucking your pants into your boots. Pulling your pant legs down over rubber boots surely isn't the best fashion statement, but who cares? Your open boot tops are are great access point for ticks. I have a friend who duct tapes his pant legs and sleeves shut. It works for him and it's effective.

4. I also started using Elimitick Clothing. Not only do I use it hunting, I wear it in the fields while food plotting, brush hogging, you name it. It does work and is effective.

https://gamehide.com/why-gamehide/elimitick/

Below, I've also added a list of other ways to protect yourself. Some are common and well-known, but it is good advice.

If this information helps one person with some new ideas, it was worth the time sharing it.

Stay safe out there guys!

Six Easy Steps to Keep Ticks Away

These simple steps can help you keep ticks away to avoid tick bites and tick-borne diseases.

1) Wear protective clothing to keep ticks away
. Especially important are long pants, which should be tucked into high socks. Ticks generally latch on to a passing critter (you!) and crawl up, looking for a spot to burrow in and feed. Light colors will help you spot the ticks. A couple of years ago, in what wasn’t even a “bad” year for ticks, I took a short hike that passed through a brushy field and found nine brown dog ticks on my light gray socks when I got back to the car.

2) Use a DEET-based insect repellent to keep ticks away around your ankles, wrists (preferably with a light-colored, long-sleeve shirt) and on your neck. Put repellent on your clothing at the entry points (aerosol or pump sprays are best for this), not just on your skin. Caution: This may discolor some clothing, so if you care about looking chic, you may want to change clothes. Our favorite repellent after years of testing is 3M Ultrathon; it stays on longer when you’re hot and sweaty than anything else we’ve ever tried. Sad to say, none of the “natural” (non-Deet) products we’ve tried seem to actually work. If you choose not to use a DEET-based repellent, be extra careful with protective clothing. Find what works best for you.

3) Leave Ticks Outside. If you can do so without getting arrested, disrobe outside your house or your tent when returning from an outdoor adventure, to avoid bringing ticks in with you. Put your potentially-ticky clothing in a plastic bag (perhaps with a spritz of insecticide) and seal it until you can wash it. Some experts recommend putting your clothes in the drier on high heat for 30 minutes to desiccate and kill any hitchhiking ticks before washing–just be careful that no ticks drop off before you get the clothes in the dryer.

4) Tick Check! Check yourself carefully at the end of any outdoor adventure (even a stroll across your lawn). It takes awhile for an embedded tick to transmit disease and a tick check should be as much a part of your daily routine as brushing your teeth before bed. If you don’t have a companion to help, carry a mirror to examine spots you can’t see easily. Remember the “National Geographic” videos with [bleep] grooming each other? Yes, they’re removing ticks, lice, etc…feel free to make appropriate [bleep] noises while helping someone do their tick check. Tick checks with your partner can lead to some "other" fun activities! Use your imagination!

5) Carefully remove any ticks you find by pulling gently with tweezers or using any one of the myriad tick pullers on the market. We’ve had excellent results with the Ticked Off; it puts pressure on the skin and allows you to push the tick up and out. Killing ticks can be difficult; they’re remarkably well armored. Best bets are to flush them, or, if you are regularly in tick territory, to carry a little bottle with rubbing alcohol in it…just drop the ticks in, put the cover back on, you’re done.

6)Don’t panic!It takes 24 hours for any disease to be released into you. After you remove the tick, take a pen, draw a circle around the bite, and monitor it for changes. See your doctor immediately as a precaution, but especially if you develop any disease symptoms like swelling, fever, a rash, etc.

Know guns. Know peace. Know safety.
No guns. No peace. No safety.

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Thanks

I like to do my hunting BEFORE I pull the trigger!
There is only one kind of dead, but there are many different kinds of wounded.
K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Great advice!

if a man speaks, and there isn't a woman around to hear him, is he still wrong?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I took ticks seriously before, but after a case of RMSF I am double careful.

I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
I just use my dogs flea and tick spray. Works great.

IC B2

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Permethrin all fabrics.

Ticks usually start low and walk up. Tucking in pants is far better than pulling cuffs over boots. Of course, gaiter or duct tape is better than both.

Originally Posted by Archerhunter

Quit giving in inch by inch then looking back to lament the mile behind ya and wonder how to preserve those few feet left in front of ya. They'll never stop until they're stopped. That's a fact.
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Long ago in Florida, we used to sprinkle sulfur powder in our socks and underwear bands to keep chiggers and ticks away. It seemed to work pretty well.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by Crockettnj
Permethrin all fabrics.

This.

Permethrin applied a day early on clothes and allowed to dry. (Permethrin remains active for awhile)

Deet on clothes and skin the day they are used.

Since I started using Permethrin a few years ago I have not found ticks on me after turkey hunting in spring.

"Put none but Americans on guard tonight."
-George Washington
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Permethrin all fabrics.

Ticks usually start low and walk up. Tucking in pants is far better than pulling cuffs over boots. Of course, gaiter or duct tape is better than both.

This stuff works great. Spray your clothes and let dry. Also very safe for humans and dogs. Toxic to cats until dry.
https://sawyer.com/products/permethrin-insect-repellent-treatment/

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
I've tested positive for Lyme disease twice now. First time it was a series of shots to administer the anti-biotics, second time it was a series of pills. I just consider ticks a part of the outdoors. But yes, compression clothing works. I picked up a Rhino Suit and yes, it isn't flattering! LOL! But it works. And apply the different sprays or lotions. Another thing we do is NO camo in the cabin, everything is taken off outdoors, vigorously shook out and hung on the line. Another thing we always tease about is how good a friend is at our hunting camp, the body parts shown to each other asking "is that a tick!"Haha! But yes, ticks are a serious thing, don't ignore them. Take care, address it and enjoy the great outdoors!

Last edited by DeanAnderson; 04/15/20.

It isn't what happens to you that defines you, it's what you DO about what happens to you that defines you!

NRA life member

Illinois State Rifle Association member
IC B3

M
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by Paul_M
Permethrin all fabrics.

This stuff works great. Spray your clothes and let dry. Also very safe for humans and dogs. Toxic to cats until dry.

I use that as well. Spray a complete set for bird hunting and wash my clothes immediately after coming in. It’s my dog I worry about, a friend lost a setter to Lyme even with the monthly pills. I spray mine before and after a hunt, then try combing. She is a black lab and finding ticks isn’t easy on her.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
I keep feeling something crawling on my neck since reading this thread!

It isn't what happens to you that defines you, it's what you DO about what happens to you that defines you!

NRA life member

Illinois State Rifle Association member
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by RockyRaab
Long ago in Florida, we used to sprinkle sulfur powder in our socks and underwear bands to keep chiggers and ticks away. It seemed to work pretty well.

I still do and it works splendidly. I don't bother with the skivvies, but do dust the pants from about mid thigh down. I avoid dancing with brush with diligence.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

D
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by DeanAnderson
I keep feeling something crawling on my neck since reading this thread!

I do that for a few days after taking a walk in tick infested woods

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
I spray OFF! on my boots & pants up to my knees. I have never had a tick on me. And, I have sat in some tall grass while hunting.

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Originally Posted by Mike_S
Originally Posted by Paul_M
Permethrin all fabrics.

I use that as well. Spray a complete set for bird hunting and wash my clothes immediately after coming in. It’s my dog I worry about, a friend lost a setter to Lyme even with the monthly pills. I spray mine before and after a hunt, then try combing. She is a black lab and finding ticks isn’t easy on her.

This has worked great for me as well. No ticks since I started using. Game warden buddies said they used cases of it. I guess this takes out the redneck foreplay of checking each other for ticks......

If it ain't broke don't fix it!!!!!!!!!!!
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular

I guess this takes out the redneck foreplay of checking each other for ticks......

NOPE! That's one of the most important parts. And one of the most fun if you can get your wife to go along with it!

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by DeanAnderson
I've tested positive for Lyme disease twice now. First time it was a series of shots to administer the anti-biotics, second time it was a series of pills. I just consider ticks a part of the outdoors. But yes, compression clothing works. I picked up a Rhino Suit and yes, it isn't flattering! LOL! But it works. And apply the different sprays or lotions. Another thing we do is NO camo in the cabin, everything is taken off outdoors, vigorously shook out and hung on the line. Another thing we always tease about is how good a friend is at our hunting camp, the body parts shown to each other asking "is that a tick!"Haha! But yes, ticks are a serious thing, don't ignore them. Take care, address it and enjoy the great outdoors!

After having Lyme Disease once, are you more susceptible to catch it again if bitten? Do the odds go up?

L
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
My growler is pretty modest but if I say the word 'tick' she will strip in a heartbeat. Compression clothing actually works. I learned to wear knee high Supphose socks in RVN, they worked well in jungle boots and defeated leeches. The 1st thing a new doc learns is to teach the grunts to deleach each other so you don't have to see as many sweaty ball sacks.

Ugly fact, leaches can get up up your wiener and be as horrible as you can imagine. You guys in Florida can think about that tonightgrin Actually everyone east of the big muddy should enjoy that thought. You are welcome.

mike r

Don't wish it were easier
Wish you were better

Stab them in the taint, you can't put a tourniquet on that.
Craig Douglas ECQC

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

521 members (160user, 22250rem, 01Foreman400, 1badf350, 1Longbow, 222ND, 49 invisible), 2,125 guests, and 1,129 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,236
Posts18,504,492
Members73,994
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.