Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
S
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
S
grin

Me hiding behind a small fish - I held him close to the camera so he (she actually) looks bigger.

[Linked Image]

So that was the before pic, here is the after picture...
Just put some lemon pepper on them, maybe some light oil and or actual lemon... they grill like swordfish ..

[Linked Image]

Only thing that would have made it better would have been a good beer.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
My wife an I like them, think they're really cool.

She thinks they're so cool one shouldn't eat them, or sturgeon for that matter.

I say Bon Appetite!

Geno

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
well I know swordfish is outstanding.

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Better fried

Maker of the Frankenstud Sling Keeper
J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J
Originally Posted by Spotshooter
grin

Me hiding behind a small fish - I held him close to the camera so he (she actually) looks bigger.

[Linked Image]

So that was the before pic, here is the after picture...
Just put some lemon pepper on them, maybe some light oil and or actual lemon... they grill like swordfish ..

[Linked Image]

Only thing that would have made it better would have been a good beer and FRIED IN CORNMEAL.

wink

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
IC B2

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Snagged one on a trot line once, dad freaked out when I pulled it in, didn’t know what it was. Fried that sucker up, good stuff. Think it was about 18 lbs.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Nice fish!

Saw on FaceFugg the other day that someone caught one on one of the rivers in downtown Pittsburgh. Not sure which one but I've seen before that they were caught in the Ohio river somewhere in Ohio. I've never seen one in person but would love to catch one someday.

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Guy from Missouri says theyre awesome.
Some in a gravel pit in NW Indiana.
Guys diving there said they freaked em out LOL

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Nice pic Spotshooter. Was that on the Kaw or Missouri? People around here are crazy for them down at Oswego and Chetopa and then down at Miami. I've never fished for them but did think I saw one jump clear out of the water one day on Truman Lake, years ago, down by Osceola.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Protected in Wisconsin. Used to snag one occasionally fishing for walleye below the dams.

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Valsdad
My wife an I like them, think they're really cool.

She thinks they're so cool one shouldn't eat them, or sturgeon for that matter.

I say Bon Appetite!

Geno
Do y'all have them in your area?

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
That is a Paddlefish

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
S
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
S

Ethan - I caught that one on Truman Lake on Tuesday last week..

If you want to make a run on them with me shoot me a IM, all you will need is a sandwich, something to drink,and a cooler to take the steaks home in. smile

My boat is setup with outriggers so we troll for them with dipsey divers and treble hooks... the first time a guy goes he often yells “SNAG” when the line hits a fish.
The fish in the picture took me a while to get in... big sucker, but not the biggest by far.

reloader - They all them either, but yes... it’s a Paddlefish.

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
My understanding they are a type of sturgeon, and at least in KY, are now protected. Long time ago, used to go down in the mountains to visit relatives. Guys would be set up on side of road selling spoonbill. Very white meat. All cartilage. No bones. My understanding is that they are top feeders feeding on algae. Hence the light taste and white meat. Supposedly guys would set out trot lines of treble hooks just below the surface of the water in coves and back waters where they would feed. Just snag 'em as they feed.

And YES, excellent eating...

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Originally Posted by EthanEdwards
Nice pic Spotshooter. Was that on the Kaw or Missouri? People around here are crazy for them down at Oswego and Chetopa and then down at Miami. I've never fished for them but did think I saw one jump clear out of the water one day on Truman Lake, years ago, down by Osceola.

Caught mine out of the Meramec River over by Pacific, southwest of St. Louis. They are in the Missouri, too. Pretty sure all the lake have some as well, so it’s likely you saw one at Truman. Great eating fish. As someone else said, very white meat.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Truman, Pomme De Terre, Lake of the Ozarks, Stockton as well as every river or creek big enough to cover one with water has spoonbill, or paddlefish, in them.
Snagging season opens March 15th and is pretty much regarded as the start of fishing season in MO.

If it has whipped cream and chocolate drizzles on it, it’s dessert. Grow up and get a coffee damnit
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

S
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
S

LOZ (Lake of the Ozarks) is really cut off by the truman dam so the fish are really captured there, I go to Truman where they tend to go up the Osage (all the lakes are built on the Osage )...

I fish the old man’s way by trolling vs. yanking the pole to snag them... it’s a great time. And great tasting fish

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Orion2000
My understanding they are a type of sturgeon, and at least in KY, are now protected. Long time ago, used to go down in the mountains to visit relatives. Guys would be set up on side of road selling spoonbill. Very white meat. All cartilage. No bones. My understanding is that they are top feeders feeding on algae. Hence the light taste and white meat. Supposedly guys would set out trot lines of treble hooks just below the surface of the water in coves and back waters where they would feed. Just snag 'em as they feed.

Some misunderstandings there. They're not a type of sturgeon. They do not feed on algae. They filter plankton from the water column. They aren't entirely cartilagenous, but are where the "meat" is.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by Orion2000

Orion2000 ,
Howdy .
We [my family] use to go to Cumberland Lake , Ky. in the 70's when i was a kid - bought spoonbill catfish more than once - good tasting fish for freshwater fish . Seller said they snagged them , Ky. folk were tight lipped about details on catching them .

PRESIDENT TRUMP 2024/2028 !!!!!!!!!!

Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

103 members (35, 160user, 10ring1, 7887mm08, ar33c9, 13 invisible), 1,449 guests, and 916 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,208
Posts18,503,886
Members73,994
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.