-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Had an interesting experience yesterday. I have had 20 rounds of .257 Weatherby all prepped, primers and powder charged with 75.5 grains of H1000, weighed out of a calibrates Hornady Auto charge. They have been sitting in my cabinet, undisturbed for (hate to admit it) about 6 months.

Yesterday I decided to finish the project and seat the bullets. As I started to get things ready I thought it would be good to check the powder charges just to make sure they truly hadn’t been disturbed. Case after case was emptied onto the freshly calibrated scale and weight was 2 or 3 10ths light. It wasn’t a lot, but consistently lighter...with weights of 75.2 or 75.3 being the majority...none at 75.5.

I mixed all of that powder back into the 5 or so pounds I had left in the jug and then recharged all of the cases at the 75.5 and capped them with the bullets.

So, if powder is left exposed to the air, does it “dry out”? If so, what effect, if any does it have?

It only ends up being a 4/10’s of a percent difference in charge by weight, but has me wondering.

Thanks,

300winnie

GB1

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I believe that it might have something to do with how dry your area is.

Around here it is about 10 or less.

Sometimes like the last few days it has gone up to 98 +-.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
It may off gas a bit.
Hence the smell when you open a can.
Pretty sure it is piped around ammunition plants as a slurry before being formed.

-OMotS

"If memory serves fails me..."
Quote: ( unnamed) "been prtty deep in the cooler todaay "

Television and radio are most effective when people question little and think even less.
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
It's got to "dry out " a bit. It's got volatile chemicals in a cellulose matrix. Some of those have to bleed off or oxidize over time. I have no idea how much, or at how fast a rate, or if that's what happened with this particular situation though.

I belong on eroding granite, among the pines.
G
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
G
Moisture clings to certain types of powder. If left exposed to open air, the weight of a fixed amount can/will vary along with the humidity level of the area.

IC B2

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
I wouldn't say clings, that reminds me of dew on foliage.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I don't leave powder out even for more than a minute or two. As soon as I get the powder measure set for the charge a cap goes on. If I am loading a bunch of cartridges, I'll only load a limited amount with powder and then I'll seat the bullet. I may have loaded up to a 100ea 223 cases before seating bullets. But I was loading a bunch for PD shooting.

If I forgot and left cases with powder in it that long, I'd poor the powder out.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
G
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by mathman
I wouldn't say clings, that reminds me of dew on foliage.

I couldn't compare to dew on foliage, as foliage consumes some of the dew. Powder doesn't. But I guess if it is present, moisture lies on the surface in one form or another. The event is explained in one of my reloading manuals. I could verify, but I'm not going though the 27 I have, to find it. Sorry.

Shooters World says smokeless powder has an affinity to moisture, attracts it. Not likely a magnetic personality in the purest form, but relative. whistle

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
I would say absorbs moisture.

From an article elsewhere:
Johansson explains that, as manufactured, most powders contain 0.5 to 1% of water by weight. (The relative humidity is “equilibrated” at 40-50% during the manufacturing process to maintain this 0.5-1% moisture content). Importantly, Johansson notes that powder exposed to moist air for a long time will absorb water, causing it to burn at a slower rate. On the other hand, long-term storage in a very dry environment reduces powder moisture content, so the powder burns at a faster rate. In addition, Johansson found that single-base powders are MORE sensitive to relative humidity than are double-base powders (which contain nitroglycerine).

He's Sven Eric Johansson, head of ballistics at Nexplo/Bofors at the time.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by mathman
I would say absorbs moisture.

From an article elsewhere:
Johansson explains that, as manufactured, most powders contain 0.5 to 1% of water by weight. (The relative humidity is “equilibrated” at 40-50% during the manufacturing process to maintain this 0.5-1% moisture content). Importantly, Johansson notes that powder exposed to moist air for a long time will absorb water, causing it to burn at a slower rate. On the other hand, long-term storage in a very dry environment reduces powder moisture content, so the powder burns at a faster rate. In addition, Johansson found that single-base powders are MORE sensitive to relative humidity than are double-base powders (which contain nitroglycerine).

He's Sven Eric Johansson, head of ballistics at Nexplo/Bofors at the time.

That's what I understood as well, that single-base powders are more hygroscopic. I read it in some arcane source from the 1940's.

According to Hodgdon, H1000 is a double-base powder which contains diphenylamine as a stabilizer.

I belong on eroding granite, among the pines.
IC B3

G
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
G
I would say some types of powder aDsobs moisture.

But the main thing, we agree that powder volume can/will weigh differently due to the presence &/or amount of moisture.

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
I don't know know if it dries out or absorbs moisture, but I've used several IMR powders in recent years that were manufactured in the late '60s or early '70s and they worked fine.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

453 members (1beaver_shooter, 1minute, 1234, 1badf350, 17CalFan, 222Sako, 45 invisible), 2,109 guests, and 1,159 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,250
Posts18,504,685
Members73,998
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.