Print Thread
Hop To
E
E Blair Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
E
My 99 already has a newer Marble peep tang sight on it. I am thinking about replacing the original front sight with a florescent orange Marble contour front sight to increase visibility for hunting. Another idea is to install a folding rear sight for short range shooting, 50 yds. or less. As it is, I have trouble focusing on the front sight at long distances, but figure for eastern woods, I can get away with using a peep. At some time I may have to drill and tap the Savage, but I really do not want to do that. What kind of sight set-up do you use on your 99. I just got this gun last week, so first I will get to the range and see how the existing sights work. It looks like a previous owner took out the elevator on the rear sight to have enough room to see over the rear sight. But still it sticks up enough to be visible through the peep. I am just trying to get a practical set-up for hunting.

This is my rifle. There are many like it, but this one is mine.
GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Skip the drill and tap, there's lots of 99's out there that are already d&t and you're better off selling that one and buying one of those.

I think you'll like the peep, though I'd get a smith to yank the rear sight and either put in a blank or put in a folding sight.

I'm out here in the great wide open spaces of the prairie, so I hunt with 3-9x scopes on mine. But I've got peeps on several, and I do like to put vintage peep sights on the older rifles. For the newer ones (late 40's on up) I don't mind having a newer receiver sight on them.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Blair, A florescent front sight sounds like a good way to make the gun work for you without permanently altering your gun. I have wondered myself about fiberoptic front sights with a peep sight. If you do it , let us know how you like it.
Gary

"We're all going to have so much [bleep] fun we'll need plastic surgery to remove our god damn smiles." - Clark Griswold

Remembering The 99
http://www.blurb.com/bookstore/detail/1163424
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Hey Blair,

I've got a post mil Saddle Gun in .308 with a receiver sight and a fiber optic front. Its probably the fastest thing I have to get on target. I have several other guns set up the same way, but nothing seems to jump to my shoulder like that '99. Now if I could just bring myself to do it to a pre-mil....

Doug

An armed society is a polite society.
H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
I recently put a williams fiber optic front bead and williams peep on an early e .303. I have shot it a few times. It is very bright and my old eyes focus better if I make sure both eyes are open. The 26'' barrel on my 30-30 a has a wider blade up front that is easy to see. I think I will be real happy with that bright red bead on the .303.

The hardest part is finding a big buck. The easiest part is getting "em" out. - Larry Benoit
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
HR.
I sent a Couple P.M.s Did Ya Get??
Steve

�Can we move this along?" a bored voice stated. "I have places to be and people to shag."

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I put the new Mable's tang sight on a 1957 F that came to me with the factory sights and a Tasco on see-thru mounts. I tried using the factory metalic sights, but with poor results. At the same time I put on a new front bead, I forget if it is Williams or Marbles. I meant to order the 1/16", but accidentally ordered the 3/32" bead. After trying it, I decided to leave the big bead on that rifle. I wouldn't want it on all my rifles, but it seems to work well with that tang sight and rifle. I put away the factory sight so they could go with the rifle if it ever goes. Before the sight change I had a difficult time geting a three shot group under three inches at 100yds, but now 1-1/2 is expected, with the occasional 1".

Brushbuster: "Is this thread about the dear heard or there Jeans?"
Plugger: "If you cant be safe at strip club in Detroit at 2am is anywhere safe?"
Deer are somewhere all the time
To report a post you disagree with, please push Alt + F4. Thank You.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
When I take off the original rear sight (and sometimes the front), I wrap them up in VCI paper and stuff them in the butt stock hole, along with a note telling anything I know about the particular rifle. With a string tied around the bundle and hanging out the hole but still under the butt plate. I didn't do that early on and one time had a hell of a time getting the package out when I needed to get to the stock screw.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
With a string tied around the bundle and hanging out the hole but still under the butt

D,
Could you possibly make that sound more perverse? wink

When it comes to choosing friends....I'm at an age where I'd rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
If I had thought about it, probably wink

We all know where your mind is....

IC B3

E
E Blair Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
E
Hey, Midway USA has a Merit Corp. adjustable aperture for a good chunk of change, maybe $60. Is it worth it? Maybe just take out the aperture and shoot through the screw hole for hunting.

This is my rifle. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

Moderated by  Rick99, RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

105 members (5sdad, Akhutr, 673, 7mm_Loco, 300_savage, 1minute, 14 invisible), 1,535 guests, and 916 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,207
Posts18,503,866
Members73,994
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.