-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
My daughter is getting to the age where I want to start teach her how to shoot. Yesterday I stumbled on a savage rascal which is what I've been planning on getting for her anyway so I decided to grab it. I want her to learn how to shoot with iron sights first but I'm not sold on the peep.

Has anyone machined a dovetail on the barrel for a rear sight on one of these? Thinking these 10/22 fiber optic sights might be just the ticket.

Thoughts on this? Am I overthinking it?

[Linked Image from images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com]

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I think so. IME kids pick up the peep quickly.

Sean
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
The peep is a far better system than those anyway. Paint the front bead white and rock on.

My boy was having eye dominance issues try to learn to use his. I mounted a little red dot on it and he was off and running in no time. He’ll learn irons soon enough but for now success is the most important thing.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I've had a Rascal since Dec. 2017. Two step grand kids love it. They took right to that nice peep and both are now proficient with regular irons. I even like it so much that I sometimes plink with it and it's darn accurate even though the length of pull isn't exactly to my liking.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
A friend and I were talking about my son’s the other day. We decided that when he outgrows the LOP it might make a cool Mannlicher carbine with a longer LOP for regular size people. Make an awesome backpack rifle to bungie to the pack frame when hunting on the tundra for big game. Pull it off as needed to behead ptarmigan.

IC B2

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by SeanD
I think so. IME kids pick up the peep quickly.

Originally Posted by TheKid
The peep is a far better system than those anyway. Paint the front bead white and rock on.

My boy was having eye dominance issues try to learn to use his. I mounted a little red dot on it and he was off and running in no time. He’ll learn irons soon enough but for now success is the most important thing.

Originally Posted by 22250rem
I've had a Rascal since Dec. 2017. Two step grand kids love it. They took right to that nice peep and both are now proficient with regular irons. I even like it so much that I sometimes plink with it and it's darn accurate even though the length of pull isn't exactly to my liking.

Thanks guys, I think I should probably see how my daughter does with the peep before trying to modify anything.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
A friend and I were talking about my son’s the other day. We decided that when he outgrows the LOP it might make a cool Mannlicher carbine with a longer LOP for regular size people. Make an awesome backpack rifle to bungie to the pack frame when hunting on the tundra for big game. Pull it off as needed to behead ptarmigan.

Not a mannlicher but I came across these when looking for some other stuff. Pretty neat DIY ultralight stocks with a longer LOP.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by snowboardguy

Not a mannlicher but I came across these when looking for some other stuff. Pretty neat DIY ultralight stocks with a longer LOP.

I can’t seem to find those online, who makes them?

Sean
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Yep my rascal is my grouse gun on hunts when I’m not the tag holder, I need one of those stocks!!

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

117 members (5sdad, Akhutr, 673, 7mm_Loco, 300_savage, 1minute, 15 invisible), 1,580 guests, and 932 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,207
Posts18,503,866
Members73,994
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.