Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
S
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
S
Just bought one and the glass is incredible. it has the Tri-MOA reticle.
But I have one concern. The eye box location significantly changes with the magnification. On the low end I have to move my head back quite a bit. On 10X and up I can hold at my usual location on the stock.
Anyone else have this issue with theirs?

Last edited by SoTexCurdog; 05/24/21.
GB1

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
SoTexCurdog: I was hoping someone else could help you with your situation.
But its been nearly a week and I will venture forth even though I do NOT own a Leupold Freedom 6x18 variable scope.
I do, though, own 7 (seven) Varmint Rifles currently with Leupold 6x18 variable VariX style scopes on them.
Along with many dozens of other Rifles fitted with Leupold 2x7, 2.5x8, 3x9, 3.5x10, 4x12, 4.5x14, 6.5x20 and 8.5x25 variable scopes currently mounted (correctly!) on them.
I have argued on this forum and others with people who mounted their Leupold variable power scopes "incorrectly" initially, then complained and queried about the "eye box" not being right.
The "secret" to mounting a Leupold variable power scope is SIMPLE!
Before you tighten up the rings on a new scope mounting just turn the scope to the lowest power and make sure when you mount the scope to your shoulder/eye that you have a full "field of view" - then turn said scope to full power and see if it offers up a full field of view to your eye from that scope position.
If not, adjust the scopes position in the rings until you get a full field of view at all powers. THEN tighten down the scope rings.
I do not remember all the times that I have tried to explain this simple procedure to disbelieving Leupold scope owners?
Probably 15 times on this forum alone over the last 18 years.
I do know this though - if your Leupold 6x18 can NOT achieve a full field of view in the scope (once properly positioned!) at ALL powers, it will be the FIRST Leupold scope I am aware of that is engineered like that!
Best of luck and I hope someone who actually owns a Leupold 6x18 Freedom model can help you (us!).
Long live Leupold & Stevens a fine American company.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

S
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
S
Varmintguy,
Thank you for your reply.
I am quite aware as to the mounting procedure you stated. That is how I found this issue with this particular scope.
The “eye box” (eye relief) changes drastically from the 6X setting to the 18X setting on this particular scope so that is why I was asking if anyone else had this problem with their’s.........
The length of the ocular lens assembly is too long so it will not allow me to move the scope forward anymore. I had the scope pushed as far forward as I could get it. For me on my bolt action rifles, I have found the rear of most any scope needs to be at the end of the tang. (Couldn’t get that with this scope. It was roughly 5/8”- 3/4” past the tang)
This is the second variable scope that I have had over the years that has severe movement of the eye box as the scope is adjusted from a low power setting to a high power setting.
( As I recall I had the same issue with a Leupold Vari-X II with a similar higher magnification some years ago - sent it back for a refund because the glass in that scope wasn’t worth a sh.t also)

With this scope on 6X power, and holding the rifle as I normally do hunting/shooting, I could not get a full “field of view”. In fact, it was approximately only half of field of view.
Then with the scope on 18X, and holding as I normally do, the scope was mounted perfectly with a “FULL field of view”.
The cure for this situation was simple but finding an extended rear base was not. So I asked my gunsmith make an “extended” Weaver rear base, which he did from one piece base he had at his shop. I now have the new rear extension ring, which moved the scope forward 5/8” on the rifle with this scope mounted and all is good. Problem solved.
(NO, I did NOT want a one piece base on this rifle - the one piece base is higher and closes the receiver opening to the point it would hinder feeding ammo into the M-700 ADL action)

I need to add that this scope is a 30mm tube with a 40mm objective lens and trying to find true “low” or “medium” height rings comparable to 1” tube rings is near impossible without ordering all models and trying them on, as Weaver’s own descriptions are broad and NOT a true reflection on what they give you.
FYI this scope has some remarkable glass.
This scope has incredible contrast & definition at twilight, allowing me to distinguish what I am looking at!
Other than the moving eye box issue, this scope is great buy so far. I will post later as to how well it tracks......

Last edited by SoTexCurdog; 05/31/21.
H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Yup, some scopes cant do it all.

Get a bad neck as you age and its even more of a pita.
I had to swap out one scope for another due to edge of comfort

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
And why i want a 12x AO leupold on my #1B.

IC B2

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Suck

FUGK CCP

It’s time to WAKE UP
GOD BLESS THE USA
WWG1WGA
THERE ARE NO COINCIDENCES

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

346 members (06hunter59, 12344mag, 1minute, 117LBS, 219DW, 10ring1, 41 invisible), 2,305 guests, and 1,093 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,321
Posts18,505,827
Members74,000
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.