Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
JeffA Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Miami/Dade cop fled at over 100 mph, Keys deputies say. He’s now arrested on a DUI charge

[Linked Image from miamiherald.com]Miami-Dade police officer Donovan William Rojas was arrested in the Florida Keys for driving under the influence and fleeing from deputies in the early morning of Sunday, June 12, 2022. Monroe County Sheriff's Office

Florida Keys sheriff’s deputies arrested an off-duty Miami-Dade County police officer who they say was speeding and swerving in different lanes on U.S. 1 early Sunday morning. The officer was charged with driving while intoxicated in addition to fleeing and eluding.

Donovan William Rojas, 26, was driving his unmarked Miami-Dade County-issued Chrysler 300 at speeds of more than 110 mph around 3:57 a.m. for about three miles before he stopped for several pursuing Monroe County deputies in Key Largo, according to the sheriff’s office.

Rojas had trouble maintaining his lane along U.S. 1 before finally pulling over at mile marker 105, said sheriff’s office spokesman Adam Linhardt.

“The driver, Rojas, identified himself as a member of the Miami-Dade Police Department and the Chrysler as his unmarked agency vehicle,”

Linhardt said in a statement. “Once Rojas’ vehicle was stopped, deputies observed emergency lights activated on the visor of the Chrysler. The emergency lights were only visible from the windshield of the unmarked vehicle. Deputies did not see the emergency lights during the pursuit.”

Deputy Casey Matthews wrote in a police report released Monday that when Rojas exited his car, he exclaimed, “I’m a cop. I’m a Miami-Dade cop!” According to the report, Rojas had an “overpowering odor” of alcohol, difficulty standing and slurred speech.

He also refused to perform field sobriety exercises and to blow for an alcohol breath test. Rojas was booked into county jail at 5:24 a.m. and released shortly before noon. His first scheduled court date is June 28. Attorney information for Rojas wasn’t available as of Sunday night.

Deputies found two Glock handguns, a Miami-Dade police ID and badge and a police-department-issued body-worn camera inside the car, according to the arrest report.

Monroe County Sheriff Rick Ramsay thanked his deputies for “acting quickly in this case.” “Though this suspect’s behavior put his life, innocent civilian lives, and the lives of my officers in danger, I view this as a singular case and not indicative of the Miami-Dade Police Department as a whole,” he said Sunday in a statement.

Rojas, who has worked with Miami-Dade police since 2016, has been relieved of his duties without pay, Interim Director George A. Perez said in a statement. “Any suspect that puts the community’s lives and officers’ lives at risk is unacceptable!” he said. “The MDPD will not tolerate this behavior as it is not aligned with our commitment to the community and its sacred trust.”

https://www.flkeysnews.com/news/local/article262445312.html#storylink=cpy

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Well at least he's bald with a beard cool!

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Looks more like an inmate than a cop.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Ghostinthemachine

In a lot of cases the only difference is which side of the badge they are on! Not all, but quite a few.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by 45_100
Originally Posted by Ghostinthemachine

In a lot of cases the only difference is which side of the badge they are on! Not all, but quite a few.

What do ya expect, that's right on the edge of Deflaveville FL.

That's where most the irregulars and oddities get sent, it's like the isle of misfit toys.

Padded VA Hospital Rooms for $1000 Alex

Originally Posted by renegade50
My ignoree,s will never be Rock Stars on 24 hr campfire.....Like me!!!!

What are psychotic puppet hunters?
IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Funny chitt. Used to live less than a mile from where he pulled over.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Everyone makes mistakes.

"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die, I want to go where they went"
Will Rogers
JeffA Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
A lot of death happens on that road between Key Largo and Miami.

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
All a mistake, he was working undercover with Davey Crockett and Ernest Tubb

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
He would likely have been given a lecture and a pass if he hadn't fled like that.
In some departments the scum rises to the top until they get stirred up in a mess they can't get out of.

IC B3

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by Happy_Camper
He would likely have been given a lecture and a pass if he hadn't fled like that.
In some departments the scum rises to the top until they get stirred up in a mess they can't get out of.
Speaking of scum.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Gulfport, Ms. 20+ years ago, cop awarded for giving the most DUI tickets, was pissdrunk entering New Orleans on I-10.

Louisiana sheriff or highway patrolman was at an accident site, for some reason standing at the back of his car when Gulfport cop crashed into him cutting off both of La. cops legs. Other cops threw him into a car - raced him to the hospital and he lived.
Gulfport cop arrested DUI ++, kept his job in Gulfport.

PRESIDENT TRUMP 2024/2028 !!!!!!!!!!

Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
DMc Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by DigitalDan
Funny chitt. Used to live less than a mile from where he pulled over.
Interesting Dan. What'd you do there? How does one make a living in the Keys?

Make Gitmo Great Again!!
Who gave the order to stop counting votes in the swing states on the night of November 3/4, 2020?
Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
Damn, he fuucked up

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by Raferman
Originally Posted by Happy_Camper
Speaking of scum.

No sheit

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
I read the article but can’t figure out what he did wrong.

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A (very married) guy I used to work with was getting off shift at 10PM and decided to take a ride with one of the bimbos that hung out in the station house parking lot at shift change.
At a beach, he left his keys in the car, and they both left their clothes on a bench, taking only a bottle and a blanket down by the water.
A while later, they decided to go somewhere else, only to find that someone had taken their clothes (wallet, ID) from the bench. No problem for our hero, he's got spare clothes at the station house and it's only a 20 minute drive. So they hop in the car naked as jaybirds, and head south on I95. And they're still hitting from the bottle.

Flat tire.

Our boy decides he can limp on the flat to the station house only 15 or so miles away. Then, still hitting the bottle he decides that the faster he gets this over with the better, so he's on I95 with a flat tire, drunk, and doing around 55MPH.
The tire shucks completely and he's running on the rim. He's leaving a shower of sparks that looks like a rescue flare, but he knows he can make it.

When a trooper got him stopped, the rim was gone and he was well into the hub. As the trooper approaches his window, he announces, "I'm a cop"...

Was a cop.
Was married...

"Chances Will Be Taken"

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by deflave

“Rojas had trouble maintaining his lane along U.S. 1 before finally pulling over at mile marker 105, said sheriff’s office spokesman Adam Linhardt.”

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by DeadHead

“Rojas had trouble maintaining his lane along U.S. 1 before finally pulling over at mile marker 105, said sheriff’s office spokesman Adam Linhardt.”

You don't know Flave very well, do ya? 😁

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by mirage243
Originally Posted by DeadHead

You don't know Flave very well, do ya? 😁

No but I doubt he would have given up an pulled over, figured he would do something cool like drive off the end of a pier and start swimming for Cuba.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

529 members (1lessdog, 160user, 22250rem, 01Foreman400, 1badf350, 1Longbow, 51 invisible), 2,133 guests, and 1,144 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,240
Posts18,504,527
Members73,994
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.