Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
A
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
A
Ok, thought I'd Post this up for those that might be thinking about having Ammo shipped to Alaska.... grin
Lj cool

Attached Images
Shipping Ammo to Alaskaa....jpg (67.65 KB, 314 downloads)

-[USMC 1st Mar/Div 7th Engineers, VietNam 69-71, Semper-Fi]-
GB1

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
It’s my understanding that it’s possible but certainly not impossible. I wouldn’t ship less than a case. I believe fed ex is the shipper.

NRA LIFE MEMBER
GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS
ESPECIALLY THE SNIPERS!
"Suppose you were an idiot And suppose you were a member of Congress... But I repeat myself."
-Mark Twain
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I think it’s fuggin nuts that we have to jump through all these BS hoops to get ammo up here. When I travel back East if I’m looking for something in particular I load my bag right up and fly it home. Don’t understand why USPS, UPS, or FedEx can’t do the same.

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Agreed

NRA LIFE MEMBER
GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS
ESPECIALLY THE SNIPERS!
"Suppose you were an idiot And suppose you were a member of Congress... But I repeat myself."
-Mark Twain
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by AK375DGR
Ok, thought I'd Post this up for those that might be thinking about having Ammo shipped to Alaska.... grin
Lj cool
Is it really ammo if its inert or blanks?.....

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
IC B2

A
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
A
Originally Posted by rost495
Originally Posted by AK375DGR
Lj cool
Is it really ammo if its inert or blanks?.....

Ok then,,,,, it looks as though ATF just Groups it all together, from a Shipping Point anyway..... cool

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
When I lived in Eagle River CMP would ship ammo direct to my house. No hoops to jump thru other than pay the shipping fee.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.
M
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
M
AK friends,

For those who may or may not know, I have a very small ammo company. Lost River Ammunition Company. What I produce is handgun ammunition primarily for people who enjoy the Sportsmen, hunters, etc, along with some defense oriented ammo. Being a lifelong hunter and outdoorsman, handgun hunter and living in the Northern Rockies I have often found that I could not find what I was looking for (ammo wise) so I took to making my own. Plus I found that when I did find what I needed it was in smaller quantities, like 20 round boxes and shipping was cost prohibitive.

So when I started my own business, I used a business model of selling in larger quantities and including free shipping as part of the deal. It required more work on my part, but it was a much better deal overall for the consumer. Plus I felt that it was smarter for the consumer, especially with semi autos, in that they could truly function test their guns to ensure both reliability and to confirm where the guns printed. It has proven to be working so far, even though I am just a one man operation at the moment.

Now with all that said, I could not include the free shipping and sell to Friends in Alaska, as the loss would be too great. However, one of our Campfire Friends whom I have done a little business with asked about a shipment and he would cover the costs.

Here are the details for you guys to consider.

The short version was that the most practical, cost efficient way was to do a larger shipment of ammo.

I ended up shipping 1,000 rounds of handgun ammo to him.

This was shipped in a 15x8x8 box.
Weight was 46.40 pounds.
The cost of shipping was $74.90
Insurance for $1100 worth of ammo was $14.30
Total cost of shipping was 89.20

This was to Palmer, AK.

I was actually surprised, as that was less than 10% of the ammo cost and I expected it to be far more expensive. I had checked before for some smaller boxes and it seemed very expensive. However, it seems that a larger quantity, shipped at once might be the right way to do this.

If the person who purchased this wants to discuss this he can, but it is not my place to reveal a customer's information.

You guys may want to consider a larger order to make the shipping substantially more cost effective, or get together and consider a group buy.

I hope this helps.

Ted

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

THE CHAIR IS AGAINST THE WALL.

The Tikka T3 in .308 Winchester is the Glock 19 of the rifle world.

The website is up and running!

www.lostriverammocompany.com

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Or just stuff flat rate boxes full...

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by dennisinaz
Or just stuff flat rate boxes full...

Not legal. If USPS discovers the contents is ammo you will never receive it nor will they pay an insurance claim.
Plus the shipper could get in trouble if USPS wanted to pursue it.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.
IC B3

A
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
A
Originally Posted by Mackay_Sagebrush
AK friends,

For those who may or may not know, I have a very small ammo company. Lost River Ammunition Company. What I produce is handgun ammunition primarily for people who enjoy the Sportsmen, hunters, etc, along with some defense oriented ammo. Being a lifelong hunter and outdoorsman, handgun hunter and living in the Northern Rockies I have often found that I could not find what I was looking for (ammo wise) so I took to making my own. Plus I found that when I did find what I needed it was in smaller quantities, like 20 round boxes and shipping was cost prohibitive.

So when I started my own business, I used a business model of selling in larger quantities and including free shipping as part of the deal. It required more work on my part, but it was a much better deal overall for the consumer. Plus I felt that it was smarter for the consumer, especially with semi autos, in that they could truly function test their guns to ensure both reliability and to confirm where the guns printed. It has proven to be working so far, even though I am just a one man operation at the moment.

Now with all that said, I could not include the free shipping and sell to Friends in Alaska, as the loss would be too great. However, one of our Campfire Friends whom I have done a little business with asked about a shipment and he would cover the costs.

Here are the details for you guys to consider.

The short version was that the most practical, cost efficient way was to do a larger shipment of ammo.

I ended up shipping 1,000 rounds of handgun ammo to him.

This was shipped in a 15x8x8 box.
Weight was 46.40 pounds.
The cost of shipping was $74.90
Insurance for $1100 worth of ammo was $14.30
Total cost of shipping was 89.20

This was to Palmer, AK.

I was actually surprised, as that was less than 10% of the ammo cost and I expected it to be far more expensive. I had checked before for some smaller boxes and it seemed very expensive. However, it seems that a larger quantity, shipped at once might be the right way to do this.

If the person who purchased this wants to discuss this he can, but it is not my place to reveal a customer's information.

You guys may want to consider a larger order to make the shipping substantially more cost effective, or get together and consider a group buy.

I hope this helps.

Ted

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Ted, was that Order Shipped by USPS,,,,, ?
Thanks....
Lj, Palmer AK. cool

M
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
M
LJ/everyone

It was shipped UPS.

Not USPS.

Just for everyone's general knowledge.

It is not legal to ship ammo through the US postal service. There is absolutely no way I am going to risk my business/livelihood, and license.

THE CHAIR IS AGAINST THE WALL.

The Tikka T3 in .308 Winchester is the Glock 19 of the rifle world.

The website is up and running!

www.lostriverammocompany.com

A
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
A
Originally Posted by Mackay_Sagebrush
LJ/everyone

It was shipped UPS.

Not USPS.

Just for everyone's general knowledge.

It is not legal to ship ammo through the US postal service. There is absolutely no way I am going to risk my business/livelihood, and license.

Ok, thanks for the info: I'll be reaching out to you shortly, and Nice Web-site by the way..... cool
Lj

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Excellent ammo as well. I liked what I got in Idaho, expect I’ll like what I get here.

Simplest thing is to order multiple calibers. I ordered 500 rounds of 38 Special Wadcutters, and 500 rounds of 45 Colt 270 gr HC.

NRA LIFE MEMBER
GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS
ESPECIALLY THE SNIPERS!
-Mark Twain

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

523 members (007FJ, 1lessdog, 160user, 01Foreman400, 1badf350, 1Longbow, 55 invisible), 2,150 guests, and 1,144 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,240
Posts18,504,527
Members73,994
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.