-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Why not? A guy from LA should know a lot about them.

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by Raferman
Originally Posted by Houston_2
Originally Posted by stxhunter
Never seen a hard-tail catfish, but have seen Hardheads and been jabbed by more than one.

Have heard them called both as well as Gafftops.
A handle changing sockpuppet troll talking about catfish.
Lol

The little brave sucker still batting zero.

Comical.

J
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
J
Originally Posted by kenacp
Saw a lady fishing on the old bridge down at Grand Isle, Louisiana hook into a large sized hard tail catfish.

Fished there a bunch as a kid back in the 60's

Hummm. Hard heads are small. Gaftop can get several pounds.

I normally rub the wound in the slime on the catfish. Epsom salts/hot water soaks then AB ointment after the fishing is over.

Last edited by jaguartx; 07/20/23.

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
J
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
J
Originally Posted by luv2safari

He should know about the POS politicians he votes for too, but he, Gayghost, Sickermore, Lostinhell, D Dive, will not talk about open borders, child trafficking, child grooming, drug trafficking, illegal invasion, Subversion, child sexual mutilation or Pedophilia because the Leftists approve of it.

I Dindo Nuffin
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by jaguartx

He should know about the POS politicians he votes for too, but he, Gayghost, Sickermore, Lostinhell, D Dive, will not talk about open borders, child trafficking, child grooming, drug trafficking, illegal invasion, Subversion, child sexual mutilation or Pedophilia because the Leftists approve of it.

All of which has to do with catfish stings. Good Grief.

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

IC B2

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Originally Posted by mjbgalt
Wife caught a little catfish, it managed to stab me in my finger as I released it.

I have always gotten away with handling them in the past but this one nailed me good.

Bled like a sumbitch.

Do you guys have any tricks for treating a catfish wound, other than scrub it and clean it?
Got skewered by a saltwater hardhead cat not long ago. For 40 years or more, I just grab them carefully and unhook. This time the little sob gave a flip and put the barb right thru my ring finger on the palm side. So he was hanging from my hand still flopping. Could not pull it out! My son cut the barb off with my fishing pliers, and then I jerked it on thru. I felt nauseous and disoriented. Next day the hand looked like a snakebite; doc gave me 2 types of antibiotics and a tetanus shot. Now my fist won't close all the way, but at least the pain went away.
Wife got jabbed by one years ago and screamed like a mashed cat (no pun intended). I thought she was being overly dramatic, but now I know why! The venom on those barbs is serious.

M
mjbgalt Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
M
Yeah, damn sure is. This morning after antibiotic ointment and cleaning it well last night and soaking in warm salt water, just about back to normal.

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I only had to get whacked once. I have handled hundreds since and never got hit again. I am careful as heck. Dang that hurt.

Life can be rough on us dreamers.
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by jaguartx

You’re sick Jag.

Get help for yourself man.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Plumdog
Originally Posted by mjbgalt
Wife caught a little catfish, it managed to stab me in my finger as I released it.

I have always gotten away with handling them in the past but this one nailed me good.

Bled like a sumbitch.

Do you guys have any tricks for treating a catfish wound, other than scrub it and clean it?
Got skewered by a saltwater hardhead cat not long ago. For 40 years or more, I just grab them carefully and unhook. This time the little sob gave a flip and put the barb right thru my ring finger on the palm side. So he was hanging from my hand still flopping. Could not pull it out! My son cut the barb off with my fishing pliers, and then I jerked it on thru. I felt nauseous and disoriented. Next day the hand looked like a snakebite; doc gave me 2 types of antibiotics and a tetanus shot. Now my fist won't close all the way, but at least the pain went away.
Wife got jabbed by one years ago and screamed like a mashed cat (no pun intended). I thought she was being overly dramatic, but now I know why! The venom on those barbs is serious.
One got me in the web of my left hand, top of hand between thumb and index finger, about 5/8th 3/4 inch in. I grabbed that f-cker and pulled out, the meat on my hand was pulled inside out by the barbs but snapped back in once it was released, that hurt a little. The hand looked like a big boxing glove for a week.

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
IC B3

B
BLG Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Hard head catfish and gaff top catfish (often times called sail cats because of the large dorsal fin and very long whips from all of the spines) are two totally different fish. I caught both last weekend.

Rubbing the slime on it does help.

Clyde

Last edited by BLG; 07/20/23.

The liberal mind is an endless black hole of stupidity.
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Bad painful is all I know. I reached in the live well once and a channel about a pound got me. I didn't see him, and he stuck that barb through both my first and second fingers on the right hand. I jerked my hand out and he was stuck to it. I slung him twice and broke the barb off. Had to take a razor blade to cut and pliers to pull it out. That SOB hurt. I had revenge in my heart when I cleaned him.

W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
Originally Posted by Highoctane
Originally Posted by wilkeshunter
I have always heard to rub the wound on their tail, which is supposed to calm the sting and seal it up. Never tried it though.

Maybe it's all a coincident but Ive been "stung" by many catfish and have always done this. Never had an issue or any soreness the next day from it.

Must be a Carolina thing!!!! laugh

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Never seen a hard-tail catfish, but have seen Hardheads and been jabbed by more than one.

Good God. Someone who claims to be from this area doesn't know the difference between a Gafftop and a hardhead.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by BLG
Hard head catfish and gaff top catfish (often times called sail cats because of the large dorsal fin and very long whips from all of the spines) are two totally different fish. I caught both last weekend.

Rubbing the slime on it does help.

Clyde

I would NOT do that. All that will do is introduce potentially more vibrio into the wound. Let it bleed out pretty good, flush with antibacterial rinse and cover. Monitor for signs of reddening and don't hesitate to go to the doc if there's more that some very local redness.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I know of two people who have died from stepping on old dried-up hardheads left on the beach to die.

Old 300
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I know of two people who have died from stepping on old dried-up hardheads left on the beach to die.

Did the infection kill them because they waited too long for medical attention or just because it was such a deadly strain of infection?

J
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
J

Allergic reaction to the toxin or infection, Rog.

I Dindo Nuffin
J
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
J
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard

Good God. Someone who claims to be from this area doesn't know the difference between a Gafftop and a hardhead.

Well, There is that, Paul.

BTW, rubbing the slime on the wound has helped my pain from fin cuts diminish several times.

Of course, you won't get slime into a deep puncture wound and tetanus is a consideration along with infection.

I Dindo Nuffin
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Infection, gang green.

Old 300
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

254 members (257 mag, 10ring1, 2500HD, 10gaugemag, 160user, 01Foreman400, 24 invisible), 1,709 guests, and 901 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,332
Posts18,505,946
Members74,000
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.