Print Thread
Hop To
C
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
C
Gents,

For my last stock project, a member here was nice enough to send me some of his leftover ebony (for a grip cap and forend tip)... but now I've got a couple more stock projects.

Do you have a favorite online vendor for dried ebony?

Thanks y'all.

GB1

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I have some. I'll PM you a pic. The place I got the wood from is gone.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
lots of it on fleabay.

Old Corps

Semper Fi

FJB
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Kinda pricey but knife maker supply houses have all kinds of exotic woods.

I prefer peace. But if trouble must come, let it come in my time, so that my children may live in peace. ~~ Thomas Paine
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Treebone Carving.

IC B2

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by clockwork_7mm
Gents,

For my last stock project, a member here was nice enough to send me some of his leftover ebony (for a grip cap and forend tip)... but now I've got a couple more stock projects.

Thanks y'all.

The offer still stands for me to shop for you at our local wonderfully stocked exotic hardwood emporium. My supply of dark black Gabon Ebony has dwindled since I gave you those chunks - I gotta head over there myself one of these days for some that and some other stuff. They have shelves and bins full of ebony turning squares ranging in various sizes and degrees of black-ness. I did notice though that their ebony prices have gotten to be quite dear!

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
There are woodworker supply houses in almost every major town that sell hardwood and turning blanks and tools for DIY woodworkers. They would probably have what you need, for a price.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by 45_100
There are woodworker supply houses in almost every major town that sell hardwood and turning blanks and tools for DIY woodworkers. They would probably have what you need, for a price.

Used to have one of those about an hour up the road here, think it was literally called woodworkers supply, maybe, can't really recall.

Cool store, lots of specialized tools you couldn't find at a hardware or Lowes.

Now I don't think there's any kind of store in the whole state like that. Everything has gone so "online".

I prefer peace. But if trouble must come, let it come in my time, so that my children may live in peace. ~~ Thomas Paine
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I think you are correct on the name. There is one in Tucson so I just figured they were everywhere. Maybe “online” would be the best place to find it but it would be nice to see it before buying it. Like gnoahh mentioned there are different grades and colors.

C
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by gnoahhh
Originally Posted by clockwork_7mm
Gents,

Thanks y'all.

The offer still stands for me to shop for you at our local wonderfully stocked exotic hardwood emporium. My supply of dark black Gabon Ebony has dwindled since I gave you those chunks - I gotta head over there myself one of these days for some that and some other stuff. They have shelves and bins full of ebony turning squares ranging in various sizes and degrees of black-ness. I did notice though that their ebony prices have gotten to be quite dear!

Much appreciated, Gary. (The offer to shop and the original pieces you sent!)

I should be all set for these 2 new projects now. (Thanks, Rich!)

It looks like we've got a place about an hour from here, which I would happily drive to check out, but their website says most of what I'd want to see is out of stock at the location.

IC B3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

169 members (01Foreman400, 257 mag, 257 roberts, 308ld, 2500HD, 160user, 13 invisible), 1,518 guests, and 944 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,330
Posts18,505,927
Members74,000
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.