Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 13 of 37 1 2 11 12 13 14 15 36 37
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Mackay_Sagebrush
Last month there was a thread in the handguns section called "Summer Carry".

It started out as the typical "what pocket gun do you carry in the hot weather" type thread.

I answered with the following post:

What gun is the minimum you are willing to get into a gunfight against one or possibly two armed bad guys with? Armed as in both have at minimum, handguns. Are you willing to get into that gunfight, which is a fight to the death, (them or you) with a Kahr that holds 7 rounds of .380?

For me, I know what my choices are. Each has to decide. Personally, I don't own any of the micro guns, that hold a very small amount of rounds, as I don't want to fall into the habit of grabbing what is comfortable, rather than what will actually get the job done. My only exception is a J Frame, and it is relegated to BUG role, and on exceedingly rare occasions a primary, but pretty much 99+% of the time I carry a gun I am willing to actually fight with and can turn in a good performance while using.

I posted again showing what I had chosen to carry that day, which was my Glock 22, .40 S&W a reload and a knife.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

One of the more condescending members (Wrapids) stated:

"None of my friends in central Wisconsin feel a need to carry a gun."

Then followed up afterwards by telling one of our other members that since they carried a gun and ammo, with this post:

"Sounds like you should leave a war zone"

I posted a few days later that I was packing the following, showing this picture:

To which Wrapids replied:

"You oughtta leave a war zone."

Here is the thing.

I RARELY comment about much of the stuff that goes on and try to stay out of it for the most part.

That said. This condescending liberal attitude is exactly why we just ended up with 18 people dead and 13 more wounded. Over 30 people total, plus all their families. Kids, spouses, parents, all the people who cared for them.

NOBODY SHOT BACK.

When the fight started, nobody took the fight to the enemy. Nobody stood their ground and put rounds into the bad guy.

NOBODY.

So Wrapids, maybe you should feel the need to carry a gun, because NOBODY is coming to save you.

It is up to individuals to protect themselves. It is not the job of the government, or the nanny state. You are responsible for your own protection and those you care for who are unable to protect themselves.

You and NOBODY ELSE.

Your typical liberal won't fight his own fight, but he sure will call the police and have someone else do it. He is too scared to do the job himself, but not too scared to put someone else at risk. Pathetic.

Back on point,

You don't get to pick and choose when these things are going to happen or where. They are like a gift from a stranger. You have to unwrap it and deal with it, no matter what it is. Odds are that the situation will not be in your favor as the bad guy(s) will have planned it that way. So deal with it.

That is why you carry a gun you are willing to get into a fight with, and actually be prepared to fight.

Just one person with a gun and some skills could have made a difference and changed the outcome drastically.

Think about Eli Dickens.

The 22 year old young man who stopped what would have been a massacre in a shopping mall. He did so by carrying a gun daily and practicing. When the time came, he did not run, he took the fight to the enemy and stopped a massacre before really got going.

This is The Way.

Well [bleep]. Didn't read all of this but plenty. Sir, I posted the summer carry question about a holster/ pocket carry for a kahr 380 for shorts and flip flops here at the beach.

My God, now I'm the left anti gun pussy that let the Maine killer loose? Hold your horses there big guy. My post is now the nobody shot back, left hatred anthem.

OK take a breath it's just an internet forum. I know I've earned my opinion.

Semper Fi

Master Gunnery Sergeant USMC (Ret).

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by deflave
Originally Posted by luv2safari
Originally Posted by Blu_Cs
What's the Fire's opinion of the Sig P365?

Those are good guns but in keeping with what Mackay is trying to convey, you need to ask if you can really fight with it.

In all likelihood that answer is no.

The 365XMacros on the other hand are a real beast. Full grip frame, excellent capacity, slimmer profile than a standard double stack and an abbreviated slide. The shorter slide is especially useful if you appendix carry. the reduced sight radius is not much of a factor these days because most everyone is running a dot.

When you reduce the size of your grip frame you're reducing the amount of contact you have with any pistol. This makes you shoot it less effectively than you would a full size. Regardless of skill level.

They also induce all sorts of problems with your draw from concealment. Think trying to grab two fingers instead of somebody's forearm/wrist. The same applies to reloads. Small (short) grip frames suck.

I could be wrong but I don't think I'm overstepping when I say these are some of the points Mackay is making when he says a "gun I can fight with."

Thank You

I appreciate an informed reply.

It looks like the P365 has the same drawbacks as my EC9 and is fatter. I pocket carry, principally due to reaching limitations. It's lower and much easier for me to access, accordingly. GD I hate old age. The EC9 is in the right pocket and extra magazine in the left. The smaller grip frame doesn't lend itself to accuracy for sure, but in my present circumstance it is actually easier for me to grab. It has to do with some fingers not opening when I tell them. The thumb, index, and middle fingers are still online just fine, so the smaller frame isn't a factor for me.

The EC's black sights are a bitch to acquire fast, and they need some paint. What's your suggestion?

Paint? Anything is better than black. I like white, but..... getcha a three color option site paint kit from amazon and figger it out for yassef.

Since its halloween time period, I bought a number of Halloween paint kits from WalMart on clearance some years ago. These are the luminous ones that "light up in the dark". Work great, if you can disregard the goulish packaging...... IIRC they were only a few cents on the dollar at the time.

I would not carry a handgun that requires paint on the sights.

There are just too many good options available out there.

What would they be for $250-$300? Anything much higher is no longer an option.

I believe the EC9 has sights milled into the slide.

I'd try to buy or trade into something 365, 43X, or bigger.

They are and are right on at 25 yards with most standard ball ammo. They don't stick out like a sore thumb to say the least. I might try paint dots that are removable and see how that works, before anything permanent.

How much bigger would you say the 365 is? I need a pocket gun now. The EC9 is about as big as what works for me.

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Blu_Cs

Those are good guns but in keeping with what Mackay is trying to convey, you need to ask if you can really fight with it.

In all likelihood that answer is no.

The 365XMacros on the other hand are a real beast. Full grip frame, excellent capacity, slimmer profile than a standard double stack and an abbreviated slide. The shorter slide is especially useful if you appendix carry. the reduced sight radius is not much of a factor these days because most everyone is running a dot.

When you reduce the size of your grip frame you're reducing the amount of contact you have with any pistol. This makes you shoot it less effectively than you would a full size. Regardless of skill level.

They also induce all sorts of problems with your draw from concealment. Think trying to grab two fingers instead of somebody's forearm/wrist. The same applies to reloads. Small (short) grip frames suck.

I could be wrong but I don't think I'm overstepping when I say these are some of the points Mackay is making when he says a "gun I can fight with."

Thank You

I appreciate an informed reply.

It looks like the P365 has the same drawbacks as my EC9 and is fatter. I pocket carry, principally due to reaching limitations. It's lower and much easier for me to access, accordingly. GD I hate old age. The EC9 is in the right pocket and extra magazine in the left. The smaller grip frame doesn't lend itself to accuracy for sure, but in my present circumstance it is actually easier for me to grab. It has to do with some fingers not opening when I tell them. The thumb, index, and middle fingers are still online just fine, so the smaller frame isn't a factor for me.

The EC's black sights are a bitch to acquire fast, and they need some paint. What's your suggestion?

Paint? Anything is better than black. I like white, but..... getcha a three color option site paint kit from amazon and figger it out for yassef.

Since its halloween time period, I bought a number of Halloween paint kits from WalMart on clearance some years ago. These are the luminous ones that "light up in the dark". Work great, if you can disregard the goulish packaging...... IIRC they were only a few cents on the dollar at the time.

I would not carry a handgun that requires paint on the sights.

There are just too many good options available out there.

What would they be for $250-$300? Anything much higher is no longer an option.

I believe the EC9 has sights milled into the slide.

I'd try to buy or trade into something 365, 43X, or bigger.

They are and are right on at 25 yards with most standard ball ammo. They don't stick out like a sore thumb to say the least. I might try paint dots that are removable and see how that works, before anything permanent.

How much bigger would you say the 365 is? I need a pocket gun now. The EC9 is about as big as what works for me.
Sig 365 OSP specs.
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
EC9S specs.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Springfield Hellcat specs.

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by MGunns

It started out as the typical "what pocket gun do you carry in the hot weather" type thread.

What gun is the minimum you are willing to get into a gunfight against one or possibly two armed bad guys with? Armed as in both have at minimum, handguns. Are you willing to get into that gunfight, which is a fight to the death, (them or you) with a Kahr that holds 7 rounds of .380?

For me, I know what my choices are. Each has to decide. Personally, I don't own any of the micro guns, that hold a very small amount of rounds, as I don't want to fall into the habit of grabbing what is comfortable, rather than what will actually get the job done. My only exception is a J Frame, and it is relegated to BUG role, and on exceedingly rare occasions a primary, but pretty much 99+% of the time I carry a gun I am willing to actually fight with and can turn in a good performance while using.

I posted again showing what I had chosen to carry that day, which was my Glock 22, .40 S&W a reload and a knife.

Then followed up afterwards by telling one of our other members that since they carried a gun and ammo, with this post:

I posted a few days later that I was packing the following, showing this picture:

Here is the thing.

I RARELY comment about much of the stuff that goes on and try to stay out of it for the most part.

That said. This condescending liberal attitude is exactly why we just ended up with 18 people dead and 13 more wounded. Over 30 people total, plus all their families. Kids, spouses, parents, all the people who cared for them.

NOBODY SHOT BACK.

When the fight started, nobody took the fight to the enemy. Nobody stood their ground and put rounds into the bad guy.

NOBODY.

So Wrapids, maybe you should feel the need to carry a gun, because NOBODY is coming to save you.

It is up to individuals to protect themselves. It is not the job of the government, or the nanny state. You are responsible for your own protection and those you care for who are unable to protect themselves.

You and NOBODY ELSE.

Your typical liberal won't fight his own fight, but he sure will call the police and have someone else do it. He is too scared to do the job himself, but not too scared to put someone else at risk. Pathetic.

Back on point,

You don't get to pick and choose when these things are going to happen or where. They are like a gift from a stranger. You have to unwrap it and deal with it, no matter what it is. Odds are that the situation will not be in your favor as the bad guy(s) will have planned it that way. So deal with it.

That is why you carry a gun you are willing to get into a fight with, and actually be prepared to fight.

Just one person with a gun and some skills could have made a difference and changed the outcome drastically.

Think about Eli Dickens.

The 22 year old young man who stopped what would have been a massacre in a shopping mall. He did so by carrying a gun daily and practicing. When the time came, he did not run, he took the fight to the enemy and stopped a massacre before really got going.

This is The Way.

Well [bleep]. Didn't read all of this but plenty. Sir, I posted the summer carry question about a holster/ pocket carry for a kahr 380 for shorts and flip flops here at the beach.

My God, now I'm the left anti gun pussy that let the Maine killer loose? Hold your horses there big guy. My post is now the nobody shot back, left hatred anthem.

Semper Fi

Sir, I don't think it was your post that prompted this thread, but rather some responses to Mackay's answer to it.

Thank you for your service!

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Jeffrey
Originally Posted by Epishemore

Here is the thing.

NOBODY SHOT BACK.

NOBODY.

You and NOBODY ELSE.

Back on point,

Think about Eli Dickens.

This is The Way.

Unfortunately law abiding citizens tend to obey the law. Many states, Maine included, prohibit firearms carry where alcohol is served.

It is unfortunate that responsible citizens are prohibited from carrying a firearm in some places. Those are the kinds of places where an inconspicuous pocket gun can make all the difference.
Indeed, just be aware that your State of TX deems it a Felony to carry in a bar or restaurant that generates +51% of its revenue from alcohol sales.
TX is the only State that makes such carry a felony.

Unless your name is Hunter Biden, getting caught or using your pocket pistol while in a bar in TX could very likely relieve you of your Second Amenment Rights for life.

Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Give a man a welfare check, a forty ounce malt liquor, a crack pipe, an Obama phone, free health insurance. and some Air Jordan's and he votes Democrat for a lifetime.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by MOGC
Damn... it is hard to have a serious discussion on the Fire.

No it isn't, and this thread opened my eyes. I'm looking for heavier throwing rocks.

I was feeling undergunned considerably, carrying my little Ruger LCP 380, but I had to consider recent rapid onset physical limitations. I went up a step to the EC9, not a big step, however.

They are great guns, I shoot mine well. With my poor skills I can still hit a paper plate at 25 yards every time with the little gun. Then you can buy the X Macro 17 round magazine and it fits the original P365, feeds perfect. With the extended original magazine and an X macro magazine in your pocket you have a pretty good amount of ammunition.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by steve4102

Here is the thing.

NOBODY SHOT BACK.

NOBODY.

You and NOBODY ELSE.

Back on point,

Think about Eli Dickens.

This is The Way.

Unfortunately law abiding citizens tend to obey the law. Many states, Maine included, prohibit firearms carry where alcohol is served.

It is unfortunate that responsible citizens are prohibited from carrying a firearm in some places. Those are the kinds of places where an inconspicuous pocket gun can make all the difference.
Indeed, just be aware that your State of TX deems it a Felony to carry in a bar or restaurant that generates +51% of its revenue from alcohol sales.

Unless your name is Hunter Biden, getting caught or using your pocket pistol while in a bar in TX could very likely relieve you of your Second Amenment Rights for life.

Having a good sense of the area and not putting yourself in a bad situation is key. Take Austin for instance. I stay out of there now. If I defended myself in Austin with a firearm, legally or not, I will likely be charged by the DA there, who is aggressively “woke”.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by steve4102

Here is the thing.

NOBODY SHOT BACK.

NOBODY.

You and NOBODY ELSE.

Back on point,

Think about Eli Dickens.

This is The Way.

Having a good sense of the area and not putting yourself in a bad situation is key. Take Austin for instance. I stay out of there now. If I defended myself in Austin with a firearm, legally or not, I will likely be charged by the DA there, who is aggressively “woke”.
Sounds like a plan, but what about the rest of TX.

Do you carry your pocket pistol into establishments that TX law specifically forbids and attaches criminal felony charges for doing so.

Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Give a man a welfare check, a forty ounce malt liquor, a crack pipe, an Obama phone, free health insurance. and some Air Jordan's and he votes Democrat for a lifetime.
IC B3

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
What a question.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by rockinbbar

Here is the thing.

NOBODY SHOT BACK.

NOBODY.

You and NOBODY ELSE.

Back on point,

Think about Eli Dickens.

This is The Way.

Semper Fi

Sir, I don't think it was your post that prompted this thread, but rather some responses to Mackay's answer to it.

Thank you for your service!

Yup, Mackay wasn't referring to you, he was referring to a leftist retard named wrapids.

BTW, I carry a 1911 w/ extra mag when at the beach in shorts and a wife beater, I'm not willing to have anything less and with all that's going on today I'm rethinking that and considering going to my Glock 41simply for capacity reasons.

Paul

"I'd rather see a sermon than hear a sermon".... D.A.D.

Trump Won!, Sandmann Won!, Rittenhouse Won!, Suck it Liberal Fuuktards.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla

V
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
V
Originally Posted by Verylargeboots
Hands up, who's ever fought a crackhead? Gunfight or otherwise. I'll check back tomorrow morning EST for an answer and an explanation as to how you subdued the threat.

I've asked this question before and it's gone unanswered. Curious to see what it generates on this thread.

I have tussled with a crackhead but he was not high at the time.

A junkie also and he was high but very easy to deal with. Until he came down and started schitting all the time.

I did not shoot either one.

Makes sense. I'm sure you know my reasoning as to why I asked what I did.

M
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
M

Here is the thing.

NOBODY SHOT BACK.

NOBODY.

You and NOBODY ELSE.

Back on point,

Think about Eli Dickens.

This is The Way.

Semper Fi

Master Gunns My Friend,

You began a great conversation. None of this was aimed in any negative fashion towards you. I offered a different thought process.

Then the liberal "Wrapid" with his condescension chose to show his true nature and take his high and mighty approach. I pointed out that I have a different approach to what I carry, based on life experiences, both good and bad.

Over the years I have been tempted to buy a pocket type gun and let myself slide into that mode.

Funny thing. It did not take long for reality to teach me a lesson that such thinking was not a good idea.

I had not been back from the war for a year and thought I was done with all that. I was working for a local agency, doing my own thing and a call came out. Long story short it was a mess. Literally dozens of LE involved. I have no idea how many agencies involved, though it was local state and federal. But I ended up in a shooting with the bad guy who had already killed one innocent person, plus one young officer. Dozens of citizens everywhere, and it was chaos.

I ended up cornering the guy who took a hostage. It was a mess. Finally we saved her. The guy had been shooting at my face from literal spitting distance, while ducking behind the hostage, and not giving a clean shot. Plus the lights had been knocked out. All the advantages were in his favor, and various backwards agency equipment policies prevented me from having effective and proper tools for the job.

Eventually she was rescued, but it should have been over in a couple minutes, not multiple hours. I won't go into more detail out of respect for her as well as the family of the person who was murdered. They deserve that. The trauma that the woman was put through for hours was terrible.

Bottom line is that no matter if it is a huge metropolis or medium size city or small rural town, there are drugged up nut jobs and people who will kill you for pretty much the thrill of it, or for the keys to your car. They don't care at all. Your life means nothing. If they have a mental health issue that is not being treated properly, they may not see you as human at all, and may think you are a literal demon. Untreated paranoid schizophrenia is extremely dangerous for example. There are an incredible amount of people who have mental health issues and keep it in check and it is never an issue. Unfortunately, sometimes the more severe cases slip through the cracks and tragedies occur.

When put into those situations and facing someone or a couple people who have zero issue with killing you, whether it is your job or not, you really don't get a choice. You are simply reacting to their actions. You can either fight or die. The choice is yours. You can choose to run, but often the victims of mass shooting are shot in the back. So again, the choice is yours. Plus the whole " Nike Defense" is utter nonsense. The vast majority of the time predators pick victims who they can overpower. Thinking you can outrun a younger, stronger, faster predator is fantasy thinking. Just watch a few crime videos of thugs hopping over convenience store counters and take note as their shoes don't even touch the counter. Can you do that?

On that note, I hear it all the time "But, But, I am not a cop, its not my job, I can just walk away". That is wishful thinking.

In 2017 in las Vegas, the killer did not let people walk away. He targeted anybody. He killed 60 people and wounded hundreds more.

In 2016 at the Orlando bar shooting the killer did not let people walk away. He targeted anybody. He killed 49 and wounded 50 something more.

I could go on and on.

Just like Lewiston Maine, sometimes you don't get to walk away. You have to face reality and deal with a problem.

So, today, just like yesterday this is what I am carrying. A full size 1911 and a couple spare mags. Using a quality IWB rig I find it comfortable enough and it is a rig that I perform well enough that should I need it, it would serve me well per the original post.

THE CHAIR IS AGAINST THE WALL.

The Tikka T3 in .308 Winchester is the Glock 19 of the rifle world.

The website is up and running!

www.lostriverammocompany.com

M
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
M
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard
Originally Posted by antelope_sniper
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard
Question for those with experience. What size dot do you prefer in your duty or SD optics?

What ever Deflave/MacKay/Bluedreaux recommends.

I am hoping to hear from them.

I have an 8 MOA circle (donut) on one of my Glocks and it is pretty easy to pick up quickly, yet still shoot precisely with.

M
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
M
Originally Posted by crittrgittr
Mr. Sagebrush or Flave, do either of you have any experience with the G23?

They are good guns. I have had a couple over the years, but ended up sending them down the road, as I shot the G19s better. Plus I never really had an issue concealing the full size frame and I shoot the G17/G22 better due to the grip size, and longer sight radius.

Depending on ones hand and body size though, it may make an ideal platform for someone. It has potential to be a very solid all around choice for a trail and town type gun. But for me, I just tend to stick with full size guns due to my size XL hands.

F
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
F
I have a question….., how am I supposed to know if an establishment derives 51% of their income from alcohol sales? Call them and have them text me their books on a pdf? It’s as stupid as reading Arizona’s state trusty land regulations.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
At 6' 2 1/2"

Meaning no disrespect, but you measure your height like a little kid does.

P

Obey lawful commands. Video interactions. Hold bad cops accountable. Problem solved.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Member #547
Join date 3/09/2001
B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
Handguns will be sufficient to ambush an AR wielding assailant. But for a genuine "gun" fight, you better have some type of carbine close at hand. Generally speaking, unless you're just *real* good with a handgun you're not going to be effective at 150 yards.

Any Joe Blow who has played around a bit at a shooting range will be able to pop you at 150 yards with an AR.

V
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
V
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
At 6' 2 1/2"

Meaning no disrespect, but you measure your height like a little kid does.

P

Some folks have to really worry about that extra half inch.

Page 13 of 37 1 2 11 12 13 14 15 36 37

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

502 members (1Longbow, 219 Wasp, 1lessdog, 222Sako, 1badf350, 19rabbit52, 48 invisible), 3,249 guests, and 1,264 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,731
Posts18,535,099
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.