I've preached it for years.
Whitey gets blamed for everything.

Proud NRA Life Member

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Salmonella
I've preached it for years.
Whitey gets blamed for everything.
Embrace it. We are good at everything, even the bad stuff.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
It sure wasn't the Cowboys!

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by chlinstructor
Originally Posted by moosemike
Originally Posted by wabigoon
Prime beef tastes better.

No it doesn't. When I'm at a restaurant that offers Bison I get Bison

YMMV.
Bison burgers are OK. The steaks have a sweet “whang” to it that I don’t particularly care for. I’ve heard others compare it to horse meat. 😬

As far as prime US Beef, I’m betting you’ve never had a Certified Black Angus fillet that’s cooked medium rare over mesquite coals.
I've had almost all beef. I still prefer wild game like moose or dall sheep or bison by far. it may be an acclimated taste but its there. beef has a weird taste to me. And wagyu may be my least favorite so far of beef.

that said any wild game or likely beef, can taste bad depending on factors.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Trump was the reason the bison almost were extinct.
yet if they had listened and taken the covid shots it would have all been fine.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by rost495
Originally Posted by chlinstructor
Originally Posted by moosemike
Originally Posted by wabigoon
Prime beef tastes better.

No it doesn't. When I'm at a restaurant that offers Bison I get Bison

YMMV.
Bison burgers are OK. The steaks have a sweet “whang” to it that I don’t particularly care for. I’ve heard others compare it to horse meat. 😬

As far as prime US Beef, I’m betting you’ve never had a Certified Black Angus fillet that’s cooked medium rare over mesquite coals.
I've had almost all beef. I still prefer wild game like moose or dall sheep or bison by far. it may be an acclimated taste but its there. beef has a weird taste to me. And wagyu may be my least favorite so far of beef.

that said any wild game or likely beef, can taste bad depending on factors.
You poor man. You have my sympathy. I don't think I could go on if I thought wild game was the best tasting meat. What would be the point of living?

673 Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Hastings
Originally Posted by Idaho_Shooter
Until Columbus discovered the western continents, the Native American population was limited to what their environment could sustain. That population had reached the maximum carrying capacity of the land and animal populations there-on.

European diseases swept across the N American continent subsequent to 1500. Some estimates are the Indian populations were reduced by 80% or more by 1800. Which is to explain why Bison populations had reached an all time high by the 1800's.

Population numbers swell and ebb. Unsustainable high numbers are going to crash. It is natures way. With a little artificial help, local and global extinctions easily happen.
I think this version is very plausible. High bison populations strained the system, most of the Indians were wiped out by European disease, prairie fires were used in warfare against the remaining Indians which drastically reduced the bison food supply weakening an over grazing herd further. Then the immune carrier Texas wild cattle were driven north into bison country devastating the herd. Then the hunters finished up killing the rest.

So, bio-weapons (unintentionally used) took care of the Indian and bison impediments to settling and farming the mid-west and west.
I guess you guys didn't read the link provided by 10glocks, don't bother filling up your heads with historical facts.

Fire didn't destroy anything, it enriched the earth enabling the Buffalo to flourish with the higher nutrient food provided.
In the largest populations of Buffalo hunters, there isn't any evidence of massive die off from disease, at least not in any of the northern herds from the northern US states-North.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 673
Until Columbus discovered the western continents, the Native American population was limited to what their environment could sustain. That population had reached the maximum carrying capacity of the land and animal populations there-on.

European diseases swept across the N American continent subsequent to 1500. Some estimates are the Indian populations were reduced by 80% or more by 1800. Which is to explain why Bison populations had reached an all time high by the 1800's.

Population numbers swell and ebb. Unsustainable high numbers are going to crash. It is natures way. With a little artificial help, local and global extinctions easily happen.
I think this version is very plausible. High bison populations strained the system, most of the Indians were wiped out by European disease, prairie fires were used in warfare against the remaining Indians which drastically reduced the bison food supply weakening an over grazing herd further. Then the immune carrier Texas wild cattle were driven north into bison country devastating the herd. Then the hunters finished up killing the rest.

So, bio-weapons (unintentionally used) took care of the Indian and bison impediments to settling and farming the mid-west and west.
I guess you guys didn't read the link provided by 10glocks, don't bother filling up your heads with historical facts.

Fire didn't destroy anything, it enriched the earth enabling the Buffalo to flourish with the higher nutrient food provided.
In the largest populations of Buffalo hunters, there isn't any evidence of massive die off from disease, at least not in any of the northern herds from the northern US states-North.

There are so many theories and postulates on what happened to the buffalo. Numbers are thrown around with wild abandon and all sources cited are only as reliable as the source that those writers used to determine their ideas.

The facts are simply that buffalo lived on the North American continent for thousands of years and numbered in the 10’s of millions. There weren’t that many Indians roaming around to impact the buffalo herds to any measurable degree.

Market hunting was certainly an issue and how many buffalo were killed during that time, seems to be the least recorded contribution to the demise of those vast herds of buffalo.

There is one undeniable fact in all of this; buffalo that numbered in the millions were decimated to hundreds by the end of the 19th century and I don’t believe that hunting them is the sole reason for that ratio..

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
M
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
M
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
[quote]I use to shoot lots of pheasant's around this area now it's rare to see a nice cock,

...message deflave for a pic...

673 Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by shrapnel
Originally Posted by 673

There are so many theories and postulates on what happened to the buffalo. Numbers are thrown around with wild abandon and all sources cited are only as reliable as the source that those writers used to determine their ideas.

The facts are simply that buffalo lived on the North American continent for thousands of years and numbered in the 10’s of millions. There weren’t that many Indians roaming around to impact the buffalo herds to any measurable degree.

Market hunting was certainly an issue and how many buffalo were killed during that time, seems to be the least recorded contribution to the demise of those vast herds of buffalo.

There is one undeniable fact in all of this; buffalo that numbered in the millions were decimated to hundreds by the end of the 19th century and I don’t believe that hunting them is the sole reason for that ratio..
The historical sources cited are primary sources, otherwise known as evidence. In many cases it was their job to record the fauna&flora were skilled at that.
Anything other than primary source of information is speculation and hearsay, or...secondary sources.

If hunting accounted for 95% of the herds demise, and 2% to drowning, and 3% to choking on twigs, hunting them into extinction wasn't the cause of their demise.

IC B3

673 Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Does anyone know what is stopping the Whitetail, Mule deer, Elk, Moose pops from being wiped off the face of the Earth?

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 673
Does anyone know what is stopping the Whitetail, Mule deer, Elk, Moose pops from being wiped off the face of the Earth?

Management. Check the population of those animals around the turn of the 20th century and they were far less than what we have now…

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
I use to shoot lots of pheasant's around this area now it's rare to see a nice cock,
Pivot sprinklers. Before pivots, every field had ditches lined with weeds. There were high spots in fields that weren't farmed because they were too rocky and brushy. There were fence rows with lots of weeds. All those were bird cover. When the pivots arrived, all of those patches of cover disappeared and the pheasants went with them.
We used to hunt them in the Rupert, ID area. It was a pheasant Mecca. Now days, in the winter you can drive for miles and see not a single patch of weeds or a ditch bank. It's all bare plowed fields.

We saw something like what you describe in northern South Dakota. I pheasant hunted on private land there for years, with my cousins and we always got our limit and saw many birds. There were still plenty of fence rows and potholes that held water with cattails all around them. In about 3 years those fence rows were gone and the farmers filled in those low areas and are now farming them. You rarely see a pheasant now. It won't come back in my lifetime either. Without habitat wild game can't make it.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Ringman
BigDave39355,

What an assertion. I spent several hours looking up info and writing that.

I will accept your apology.

Lol, for some reason I just don't think you're going to get one.

Paul

"I'd rather see a sermon than hear a sermon".... D.A.D.

Trump Won!, Sandmann Won!, Rittenhouse Won!, Suck it Liberal Fuuktards.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I can account for a few…

673 Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 673

Management. Check the population of those animals around the turn of the 20th century and they were far less than what we have now…
Management yes, but the turn of the Century was also a bad time for pops, and one may have to go back to the short window of post contact and the recorded information we have.

I am going to say........people are going to have to come to terms with the fact that their is only a short period of time where unbiased evidence is available, that is in the journals of Fur traders, explorers etc....it was their job to collect info, good and bad.

Provided is primary evidence it wasn't whiteman who was solely responsible for the demise of the Buffalo, Native hunting was perhaps equally to blame, the ratio of who done more/less has nothing to do with it, there is no way to break that down, but here it is........no one species of people can point to the other as to sole blame.

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Been waiting for these.

Thanks for posting.

I can account for a few…

Last edited by antelope_sniper; 12/18/23.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 673
Originally Posted by 673

Management yes, but the turn of the Century was also a bad time for pops, and one may have to go back to the short window of post contact and the recorded information we have.

I am going to say........people are going to have to come to terms with the fact that their is only a short period of time where unbiased evidence is available, that is in the journals of Fur traders, explorers etc....it was their job to collect info, good and bad.

Provided is primary evidence it wasn't whiteman who was solely responsible for the demise of the Buffalo, Native hunting was perhaps equally to blame, the ratio of who done more/less has nothing to do with it, there is no way to break that down, but here it is........no one species of people can point to the other as to sole blame.

The truth of the matter is that there weren't milions of people involved with hunting, trapping and explorers. Keeping track by those people was limited at best, few cared about the limitless resource they were killing. Conservation wasn't on the radar until the late 19th century and people like TR saw what was happening and realized that something had to be done.

Management is what saved the big game in America and the inability to manage buffalo made 2 dynamics that we are left with to day. We have big game in sustainable numbers and buffalo are only a few animals to let us look to the past and wish things were different...

673 Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 673
Originally Posted by 673

The truth of the matter is that there weren't milions of people involved with hunting, trapping and explorers. Keeping track by those people was limited at best, few cared about the limitless resource they were killing. Conservation wasn't on the radar until the late 19th century and people like TR saw what was happening and realized that something had to be done.

Management is what saved the big game in America and the inability to manage buffalo made 2 dynamics that we are left with to day. We have big game in sustainable numbers and buffalo are only a few animals to let us look to the past and wish things were different...
100% agree, with you, with one exception..........The Fur traders and Buffalo hunters kept impeccable records on their activity, marrages, baptisms, whereabouts by the HBC and the NWC, they are all available for viewing.

Previously they were only available if you went into the archives with white gloves and physically handled the documents, not anymore, they are available online for free, I think there may be a small fee to access some of them, but I am not sure.

I have a lifetime of study on the issue's at hand and have offered assistance to anyone who reaches out for guidence as to where it can be found.
I have also qualified as an expert witness on issue's integrated to the subject at hand.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 673
Originally Posted by 673
Originally Posted by 673

100% agree, with you, with one exception..........The Fur traders and Buffalo hunters kept impeccable records on their activity, marrages, baptisms, whereabouts by the HBC and the NWC, they are all available for viewing.

Previously they were only available if you went into the archives with white gloves and physically handled the documents, not anymore, they are available online for free, I think there may be a small fee to access some of them, but I am not sure.

I have a lifetime of study on the issue's at hand and have offered assistance to anyone who reaches out for guidence as to where it can be found.
I have also qualified as an expert witness on issue's integrated to the subject at hand.

The questionable part of record keeping is made of of 2 essential components. How many were engaged in this activity and then what % actually kept those kind of records. I will bet both those numbers are quite low. I would guess in the 100's, maybe thousands, but not 10's of thousands...

Page 7 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

525 members (10gaugeman, 10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 1lessdog, 160user, 16gage, 58 invisible), 2,659 guests, and 1,186 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,318
Posts18,505,737
Members74,000
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.