Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 7 of 22 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 21 22
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by mathman
If you aren't out there stabbing them with a spear tipped by a piece of flint you knapped yourself then you aren't hunting. grin

Love it!

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Ernie "The Un-Tactical"

[Linked Image]
http://sebrests-usa.com/
GB1

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Xspurt
It's interesting watching all the wriggling and squirming going on by the "long rangers" trying to avoid the very simple real issue: if you are launching mortars at 1000 yd across a canyon at an elk thats all about shooting....and has nothing to do with hunting....no matter how desperately you try to twist it. It's actually on the "sick" side of things.

I'm betting VERY heavy odds your main bitch & whine here isn't the definition of words......

I prefer peace. But if trouble must come, let it come in my time, so that my children may live in peace. ~~ Thomas Paine
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
It's called long range hunting. Nuthin about huntin all about shootin. Get it right.

Xspurt = has been under pressure

“You never need fear a man, no matter what his size. When danger threatens, call on me, and I will equalize.”
Samuel Colt.

�Common sense is genius dressed up in work clothes.� - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by chamois
Both shooters that hunt or hunters that shoot should all consider themselves members of the same brotherhood who enjoy their common passion for the outdoors.
The degree of preference towards different aspects of hunting, be it gear, shooting skills, stalking skill, physical condition, etc. seems to make ones enemies of the others, and watching this kind of fighting in the internet always leaves me with a bad taste.
Those that enjoy the stalk are a not a bunch of illiterate bumpkins who cannot even read the numbers on a ballistic turrets, nor those that enjoy the shooting are a bunch of self worshipping geeks who can`t put a stalk on a milk cow.

In my mind, hunting is a challenge to beat an animal instincts while integrating in its surroundings, and if I shoot further than his security area I won't be beating anything except my ego. But this is just my choice and I always understood that anyone should make his own and do whatever he enjoys more or makes him happier.

Merry Xmas to all, shooters that hunt and hunters that shoot as they are all my fellow hunters.

Excellent chamois!

Merry Christmas and wishing you a phenomenal and healthy 2024.

KB

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R

Interesting thread I shoot long range because I enjoy the challenge, there's no place close by to shoot long range so I built my own out to 1800 yards with big ass targets so iI could see where I'm hitting.
I would Wager I hunt more than 99.9% of the people on the Fire, but rarely kill a critter over 250 yards because our habitat is so heavy. to each his own live and let live keep shootin, quit bitchin enjoy it while you can. Rio7

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
That would be so cool!

Ernie "The Un-Tactical"

[Linked Image]
http://sebrests-usa.com/
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by RIO7

Interesting thread I shoot long range because I enjoy the challenge, there's no place close by to shoot long range so I built my own out to 1800 yards with big ass targets so iI could see where I'm hitting.
I would Wager I hunt more than 99.9% of the people on the Fire, but rarely kill a critter over 250 yards because our habitat is so heavy. to each his own live and let live keep shootin, quit bitchin enjoy it while you can. Rio7

I want that range for Christmas, most excellent!

KB

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by xphunter
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Originally Posted by xphunter
I just have to be a little bit sad for the OP...He doesn't respond to questions about himself.
I am not sure why...I guess we could make lots of assumptions about his interaction in a group he is obviously clueless about.
He has made many false assumptions himself, which has lended itself to some pretty funny posts, at his expense.
Does he really believe he is going to change things in his postings?
Does he not have a life?
I do not pretend or think my posts will change him in any way.
So many unanswered questions about this tormented soul.

Can I make an assumption that he is pretty much opposed to all forms of archery hunting?
Yet to use a modern bolt action rifle, surely cannot be legitimate hunting.
It is okay to realize you are not being rational or fair to folks in this forum area.
Polarizing a group for whatever reason, is emotionally immature...My sincere encouragement is for you to bow out of this thread, and give yourself to something productive.
I hope your anger and bitterness doesn't bleed into your relationships around you, but I have my doubts.

It seems he pretty much hates technology, and those who understand it, and are capable of using it, so I am wondering if, he opposes the new bow technology, which reduces time of flight and accuracy issues, at the same time being opposed to long bow hunting, because of the longer time of flight.

Is he just jealous of people who shoot a custom rifle? Jell-O-Spurt...
Does he actually believe if someone hunts with a factory rifle like one of his model 700's, that automatically removes, lack of field shooting skill.

I think that with his bottom line being "you cannot predict what the animal will do, the effect of the wind, mirage, not to mention his own performance every single time under field conditions," I think that Conflict-A-Spurt, should give up hunting and shooting all together.
All of this drama will likely end in a self-fulfilling prophecy for you.
A wannabe's attitude with this much anger, doubt, and conflict has no business in the field, especially since you have lost the confidence in yourself.
When our emotions get really high, our ability to be rational is noticeably diminished, but in that emotional funk, we think our clarity is powerful (Self-Deception)
I think there needs to be some pity for someone who is so conflicted, and yet does not realize he is conflicted.

Yes, I have lowered myself in this post.
I am both reacting and responding.
I think he likes the reacting part...So I will admit, I have probably fed the fool in him some.
I do not typically interact this way, although I enjoy sarcasm and a good laugh.
Hopefully, this anonymous gent (It is easy to hide behind a screen) will realize his words really mean nothing to the LR hunters here, but he has exposed his own inner world, which no doubt involves some things that all of us should want to avoid as a pattern of life.

I must admit, I Have Been Entertained by a number of these posts (not the OP's).

Merry Christmas and a have a Great New Year!

I like your post. I'd shoot or hunt with you anytime. Hell, I was just out practicing holdovers out to 800 yards a bit ago, while chatting with Gunner500 here. There's some good guys here, and some you know shoot a lot. Some compete, some don't. You don't have to, to be a great shooter, but there's something about the competition that is great. Sometimes it can be humbling, and it may knock your self esteem down a notch. But if you are anything like me, that only makes you work harder to get to your goal.

In this practice today, I am shooting with no rear support. My club requires that, in the longrange shoots we do. So, I grabbed my rifle that I know shoots well, and went to the range. This is one I threw into a Mcmillan A3 edge about 6 months ago. It handles great in the prone position.

At 800, I had to hold the left edge of the small plate to make the hits. Wind was minimal.

Now, that gives the OP something to chew on..

Only having to hold the edge of the plate at 800, is some nice conditions!!!
I would enjoy getting together to shoot with you. Hunting would be harder, but that too.
I know I am an odd-duck in terms of shooting or hunting at distance, since I like to use various specialty pistols, instead of a rifle.
We all have our unique weirdness, and this is one of my outside the box enjoyments.

A time most anyone could get together and shoot with me, is at WY-SHOT.
It always starts the Monday after Father's Day (June 17-19 2024).
Shots on steel will go from around 200 yards to over 1300 yards-No rifles allowed.
It also has a prairie dog shoot component-Handguns only. You can read the brief description from the link.
I know that most of you do not have a LR specialty pistol, so I have several loaners ready to go for the match.
https://sebrests-usa.com/wy-shot/

Oh man, it was great. Sometimes I have to hold 2' off the damn target!! You know how that is though. I always enjoy what you bring to the table. Shooting those pistols always seemed like it would be pretty cool. I know they can be damn accurate too, as you've proven over the years here.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
If you aren't out there stabbing them with a spear tipped by a piece of flint you knapped yourself then you aren't hunting. grin

Says my ancestors: But fu ck that. A smart indian carries a rifle now.

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by RIO7

Dang. I'd go broke buying barrels if that were my range.

IC B3

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M

That's cheating man. You aren't a real hunter. grin

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B

That's cheating man. You aren't a real hunter. grin

Ha ha..

BSA MAGA
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I killed a big fat whitetail deer at 97 yards with my bow a few years ago, a lot of bowhunters at the range said "How could you!!!!!" I said it's easy, have the right equipment, take a deep breath, relax, and let the arrow fly.

Apparently, you are not allowed to shoot a bow over 40 yards, according to some hahaha

Geronimo would have been proud cool

Last edited by KillerBee; 12/21/23.

KB

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by KillerBee
I killed a big fat whitetail deer at 97 yards with my bow a few years ago, a lot of bowhunters at the range said "How could you!!!!!" I said it's easy, have the right equipment, take a deep breath, relax, and let the arrow fly.

Apparently, you are not allowed to shoot a bow over 40 yards, according to some hahaha

Geronimo would have been proud cool

A couple years ago, a work friend of mine whacked a bull moose on opening day at 100 paces with his bow, his girlfriend (wife now) was there to witness the shot and stepped it off, dudes a bow hunting nut and practices religiously, he felt confident in taking the shot because he knew exactly where his arrow was going

This past September we had a 16 yr old kid drop a trophy bull moose at just over 1250 yards with a 300 RUM, ranged it, dialed it in and coached him to take the shot

And a 75 yr old hunter who has never hunted moose before or has ever been to Alaska, nor has he ever taken a shot at game beyond a hundred yards

He dropped a fantastic 64" bull moose at 560 yards with a 300 RUM when given the proper instructions for making the shot

Learning is a human trait, if you're not learning something new or becoming better at something, then you're a complete fkn moron

The type of moron who attacks those who are capable of doing something that he considers not doable, when that moron sees it being done ..... he then creates rules ie... "ethics" in his own thick head, that he thinks apply to everyone simply because he can't do & won't learn to do nor will he get the proper tools/equipment to do what is easily done by others

When I go hunting, I'm prepared to take a shot at rock throwing distance and can also launch mortar projectiles if the conditions allow, I'm "hunting" the way I see fit and as allowed by current regulations, some internet moron who wants to dictate what "hunting" is or should be ... is considered as a fkn retard who is incapable of learning

Real hunters learn and adapt constantly, morons are stuck in ruts on a single lane road of their own making and won't take the time to learn how to travel freely, when they see us flying, they screech and shake their fists angrily

But do we care ? Fk no, lol !

"The welfare of humanity is always the alibi of tyrants".
M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
It's interesting watching all the wriggling and squirming going on by the "long rangers" trying to avoid the very simple real issue: if you are launching mortars at 1000 yd across a canyon at an elk thats all about shooting....and has nothing to do with hunting....no matter how desperately you try to twist it. It's actually on the "sick" side of things.

Please post up some pics of say.... the last 1/2 dozen elk you have killed.

THE CHAIR IS AGAINST THE WALL.

The Tikka T3 in .308 Winchester is the Glock 19 of the rifle world.

The website is up and running!

www.lostriverammocompany.com

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Taking anything "Xspurt/Garanimal" says with any credibility (which he has none), is like taking advice on pleasing women in the bedroom from a virgin.

THE CHAIR IS AGAINST THE WALL.

The Tikka T3 in .308 Winchester is the Glock 19 of the rifle world.

The website is up and running!

www.lostriverammocompany.com

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Mackay_Sagebrush

Please post up some pics of say.... the last 1/2 dozen elk you have killed.

We need a pissing up a rope emoji

Semper Fi
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Friend of mine was a Cavalry Scout in the USARMY for several years and went to sniper school. He told us that quite a few guys didnt pass the course because of poor shooting abilities. He also said that most of the guys that made it had shot competition before joining the military, and were always giving advice to the other soldiers.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Jericho
Friend of mine was a Cavalry Scout in the USARMY for several years and went to sniper school. He told us that quite a few guys didnt pass the course because of poor shooting abilities. He also said that most of the guys that made it had shot competition before joining the military, and were always giving advice to the other soldiers.

Competitive shooters are usually miles ahead of military and government employees in shooting skill

Originally Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by rcamuglia
Originally Posted by Jericho

Competitive shooters are usually miles ahead of military and government employees in shooting skill

Maybe to an extent. I think if you make it through sniper school, your one bad cat. They shoot under extremes and pressure. The tactical weekend match boys arent getting shot back at. A marine sniper, especially one that has a tour or two under his belt has fired his fair share. I'm taking the marine sniper in this one.

Page 7 of 22 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 21 22

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

483 members (1minute, 1lessdog, 06hunter59, 1_deuce, 1badf350, 1beaver_shooter, 52 invisible), 2,151 guests, and 1,127 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,279
Posts18,505,096
Members73,998
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.