Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
GeoW Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Need a good place to fix my truck, maybe? Whatcha think?

g

"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man."
Thomas Jefferson

GeoW, The "Unwoke" ...Let's go Brandon!

"A Well Regulated Militia" Life Member

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

Me

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
We can call it the "I have a full time job then I work on my Ford on weekends forum"

LOL
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
What kind of truck?

"Aim right, squeeze light"
" Might as well hit what you're aiming at, it kicks the same whether you miss or not"
NRA Life, GOA
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
While we are on the subject, my wife has a 4 cylinder Toyota Highlander that has used oil from the day we bought it new. About a half quart every 800 miles or less which I have kept topped off. One time when I was absent for 3 weeks it went below the add mark. The recommended oil is 0W20 synthetic. Before our last oil change I started adding 5W30 synthetic. After about 4 times if either quit or slowed down dramatically on oil usage. Is that weight oil subject to cause engine lubrication problems?

I changed it last week with 0W20 but I might put some more 5W30 in it if it goes back to using. There are no leaks anywhere, it is going out the tailpipe.

2014 model with 200K on it.

Last edited by Hastings; 04/23/24. Reason: added last sentence

Patriotism (and religion) is the last refuge of a scoundrel.

Jesus: "Take heed that no man deceive you."
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by GeoW
Need a good place to fix my truck, maybe? Whatcha think?

g

Called my garage.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Swifty
H
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
H
LOTS of people confuse "Tedious" with "Hard". There's not much to do on a vehicle that's truly "hard". There's a ton to do on a vehicle that's tedious.

Time, Space, and Tools can of course be an issue, but, diagnosing a problem and obtaining the parts to fix the problem aren't "Hard" and neither is most of the work, much of it is tedious though.

Last edited by horse1; 04/23/24.

I can walk on water.......................but I do stagger a bit on alcohol.
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by Hastings
While we are on the subject, my wife has a 4 cylinder Toyota Highlander that has used oil from the day we bought it new. About a half quart every 800 miles or less which I have kept topped off. One time when I was absent for 3 weeks it went below the add mark. The recommended oil is 0W20 synthetic. Before our last oil change I started adding 5W30 synthetic. After about 4 times if either quit or slowed down dramatically on oil usage. Is that weight oil subject to cause engine lubrication problems?

I changed it last week with 0W20 but I might put some more 5W30 in it if it goes back to using. There are no leaks anywhere, it is going out the tailpipe.

Low tension rings. I don't get how these things are supposed to meet emissions standards with oil going out the tail pipe. Most smaller motors are now running LTR in all brands.

Fight fire, save lives, laugh in the face of danger.

Stupid always finds a way.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
look at the truck & 4X4 sub forum

Sam......

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Given the high population of young whippersnapper Gen X'ers on the fire...I'd guess a skateboard maintenance forum would get more traffic.
Given the population of whippersnappers in general...we sure don't need a tutorial on clutch replacement...lol.

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.
IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by flintlocke
Given the high population of young whippersnapper Gen X'ers on the fire...I'd guess a skateboard maintenance forum would get more traffic.
Given the population of whippersnappers in general...we sure don't need a tutorial on clutch replacement...lol.

Gen X and I'm not the one crying about taking vehicles to a dealer and the cost. Fix that myself. Including clutch replacements. Also not asking others to post youtube videos or pictures for me either.

Me

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Hastings

Toyota recommends the 0-20 but they also recommend 5-20 and 5-30. The 5-30 is recommended for high mileage, warmer climate operation vehicles.

Swifty
F
Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
F
I would bet that 5w-30 would work just fine in LA, especially in a 200k (just broken in) Toyota.

GeoW Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Teal

How did I miss that?

Thanks!

"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man."
Thomas Jefferson

GeoW Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Featherweight6555
What kind of truck?

Toyota 4runner..

Thomas Jefferson

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F

Gen X and I'm not the one crying about taking vehicles to a dealer and the cost. Fix that myself. Including clutch replacements. Also not asking others to post youtube videos or pictures for me either.
Teal, Relax brother, I'm just throwing a few rocks at the hornets nest in my misguided, sarcastic sense of humor. Actually, I like your style and follow your posts.

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Oh my, what’s that black dusty smudgy stuff on my wheels?

Gee whizz Wally

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Oh my, I sat on ass 40 years selling life insurance. What’s that green liquid puddled under my Packard. By golly, boy howdy

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

Teal, Relax brother, I'm just throwing a few rocks at the hornets nest in my misguided, sarcastic sense of humor. Actually, I like your style and follow your posts.

No worries - just saying, 99% of the anxiety on new vehicles can be solved with fairly inexpensive code readers, the internet and an understanding that what you see under the hood has become mostly plastic covers, not changes. The ICE hasn't really changed as much - fuel, air, spark. How it's controlled has - thus the code reader but still. A good set of TV repairman tools, time and such - you'll be okay.

Me

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
How it's controlled has - thus the code reader but still. A good set of TV repairman tools, time and such - you'll be okay.

I havent seen a TV repair shop or repairman in over 20 years. The ones I did see and was one of em never carried tools big enough except maybe a screwdriver to work on a car or truck. Doesn’t take a 12mm wrench to change out a PC board.

Swifty
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

522 members (10gaugemag, 160user, 01Foreman400, 1234, 10gaugeman, 17Fan, 62 invisible), 2,364 guests, and 1,258 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,323
Posts18,487,458
Members73,969
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.